D&D 5E UA interviews: The possible future for Pet Subclasses in 5e.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Interesting.

I really like the Battlesmith pet, and the Wildfire spirit.

If they put out a “variant” BM pet option that loses the breadth of options in exchange for friendlier Action economy, I’d still want to have a choice between a flying pet that does small damage on a hit but has Flyby and it’s hit debuffs the target, a standard wolf, bear, and big cat, badger-type, and a mountable pet. By just having the 6 options, you can still get the friendlier Action economy, because what the options can do can be balanced against each other like spells or other level specific options.

That all said, I’ll keep using the UA Ranger pet rules, with the addition of the Blood Hawk and giant badger options.

Listening to the D&D Beyond interviews for the new UA, it seems like WotC has heard the feedback about pet classes.

Talking about the Wildfire pet as it compares to other subclasses begins at the 4:03 mark.

For those that are curious about the other subclass interviews, here you go:

Onomancy

Twilight Domain
This subclass is a really hot topic. It has stoked the fires of discussion. I too have a burning hope we get to play it out of an official book.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Maybe they're starting to realize that giving into the simulationists during the playtest was a mistake. Perhaps there's hope for large player races without reference to the monster rules...
I've long thought that they didn't leave themselves enough design space int he races department. If you ignore the racial ability score adjustments, there's precious little meaningful features that they havge the room to introduce somethign meaningful like a large race. That's why we have half a dozen "carry as if they are a size larger" races, including centaurs and minotaurs in the GGtR book. How the heck is a centaur only size medium? Because they can't make it large without making it overpowered compared to the other races, because they made race have so little outside ability scores.

That's why we have half a dozen "carry as if they are a size larger" races, including centaurs and minotaurs in the GGtR book. How the heck is a centaur only size medium? Because they can't make it large without making it overpowered compared to the other races, because they made race have so little outside ability scores.
Because according to GGtR their centaur is pony sized.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've long thought that they didn't leave themselves enough design space int he races department. If you ignore the racial ability score adjustments, there's precious little meaningful features that they havge the room to introduce somethign meaningful like a large race. That's why we have half a dozen "carry as if they are a size larger" races, including centaurs and minotaurs in the GGtR book. How the heck is a centaur only size medium? Because they can't make it large without making it overpowered compared to the other races, because they made race have so little outside ability scores.
In fact, centaurs should always have been medium, if we judge by Ancient Greek art.

But also “medium” doesn’t mean “human sized”.

Remove ads