• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA Monks Introduces the Kensai and Tranquility Traditions

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that. I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk...

The Kensei was pretty much exactly how I expected/wanted it to be. With the exception of the bludgeoning damage. A d4 that doesn't scale? I hate d4s, and especially at higher levels it's hardly worth anything. Especially since as a monk, I could just use my bonus action to make an unarmed attack and use monk damage dice for that.

I've never been a fan of pacifist PCs, so the tranquil monk isn't my cup of tea. I understand others may feel differently though.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Look, if you have a greatsword weilding character concept that you want to play. Im for that. If your just looking for a munchkin build that abuses GWM and can make STR a dump stat, Im not cool with that. If you want to make a pc who resembles somebody from a movie, book, or game. I totally agree. But if its just about dpr meta, im not on board. I think the best way to have done the kensei is to have made it kinda like a light dipping into fighter. Martial prof. that can be used as monk weapons, then maybe a fighting style and whatever.
Realistically, I want it because I love the aesthetic (I loved the 4e avenger for the same reason) AND because a GWM monk using Dex sounds pretty great from a mechanical perspective.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Realistically, I want it because I love the aesthetic (I loved the 4e avenger for the same reason) AND because a GWM monk using Dex sounds pretty great from a mechanical perspective.
the 4e avenger was a cool class. The problem I have with this kensei is that, first off is a mess designwise, second it seems really meta instead of flavorwise if that makes sense to you. One thing is that GWM was never meant to work with the dex stat. POM doesnt bother me as much because the monk already had FOB. The 4e avenger was made specifically for that edition, this subclass is not balanced at all right now. Im not saying that the kensei shouldnt be prof. In greatswords. Im saying that dex and gwm where never meant to work together and the design team are breaking their own rules.

I thought about the bokken idea, as there are tales of Musashi doing that sort of thing . . . but that really feels more appropriate for the high-level master, as opposed to the 1st level guy.

I suppose this kensai thing works if you assume a training method where you start everyone out on the simple weapons, and eventually upgrade to the martial weapons. Don't like waiting? Great. Get out of this dojo and go be a fighter. Wisdom is not a dump stat in this dojo.

Training sword for the training levels bro.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
the 4e avenger was a cool class. The problem I have with this kensei is that, first off is a mess designwise, second it seems really meta instead of flavorwise if that makes sense to you. One thing is that GWM was never meant to work with the dex stat. POM doesnt bother me as much because the monk already had FOB. The 4e avenger was made specifically for that edition, this subclass is not balanced at all right now. Im not saying that the kensei shouldnt be prof. In greatswords. Im saying that dex and gwm where never meant to work together and the design team are breaking their own rules.
But they already do. It's called Sharpshooter.

JPL

Adventurer
Training sword for the training levels bro.

If you're just gonna stay in the dojo and train, fine, but if I'm actually going to go fight goblins, I at least want a nail through the end of that training sword.

No, I think I've sold myself on the idea at lower levels, they give you a staff or some escrima sticks or whatnot, and if you show sufficient progress, THEN Master Po walks you down to the armory and gives you a glaive-guisarme or whatever.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I'm not thrilled that the kensei lends itself to be min-maxed for a greatsword. But at the same time, I'm not against having that as an option for people who want to play a more anime style martial arts weapon master. (All we need is to bring back 3E's Monkey Grip feat and the image is complete). But other weapon choices should be encouraged without being sub-par options.

Not doing indepth math checks to see the impacts, but a couple of suggestions:

• Whenever you wield a kensei weapon, you choose whether to use your Martial Arts damage die in place of the weapon’s damage die. If the weapon does not have the two-handed property, you choose whether to use Dexterity or Strength for the attack and damage rolls of the weapon. Kensei weapons are considered Monk Weapons with regard to unarmed strike damage and bonus attacks from the Martial Arts class feature.

With that (or something less wordy), the zwei-hander characters are going to have to invest in Str a little more to optimize, which I think is fair. Fighters have to give up a shield to use those types of weapons; Monks may have to sacrifice a little Dex for more damage.

• When you take the Attack action on your turn and hit a target with a kensei weapon, you can use a bonus action to pummel the target, dealing additional bludgeoning damage equal to your Martial Arts die to that target and to any other target you hit with the weapon as part of the Attack.

Here, I think the pummel damage is still attractive vs Flurry of Blows, even allowing Kensei weapons to be Monk weapons. Especially as it doesn't require Ki to fuel. And the +2 AC can be gained with a more effective unarmed attack.

Jeremy Crawford already clarified on Twitter that pummel damage from a distance is not intended.

Well, that's kinda good news. Means there's still room for the zen archer to get his own subclass.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you're just gonna stay in the dojo and train, fine, but if I'm actually going to go fight goblins, I at least want a nail through the end of that training sword.

No, I think I've sold myself on the idea at lower levels, they give you a staff or some escrima sticks or whatnot, and if you show sufficient progress, THEN Master Po walks you down to the armory and gives you a glaive-guisarme or whatever.

And when you use that glaive, you suddenly forget how to be a martial artist, and just become a really really really crappy fighter.

Unless you just hold the glaive and don't actually wield it, In which case you become a subpar monk, lose access to other Kensai class features, but get +2 to your AC.

Remove ads

Remove ads