D&D 5E UA Samurai proposal: swap Fighting Spirit and Strength Before Death

Fighting Spirit is fun mechanically and encourages switch hitting (Sharpshooter AND Great Weapon?), but the flavor is weird: what does resistance to weapon damage have to do with Samurais? Why are they just plain better than other Fighters?

One thing you could do to fix this would be to swap Strength Before Death and Fighting Spirit. Strength Before Death could be the 3rd level ability--and it would probably get more use, since low-level PCs are the ones who are most likely to be knocked down to zero HP--and Fighting Spirit could be the 18th level capstone. At that level, other PCs are flying and turning invisible and being permanently resistant to weapon damage, etc., so Fighting Spirit no longer feels mechanically overpowered and it's easier to justify them being better than other Fighters. You could handwave it as a ki-focusing shout or something.

Thoughts?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Samurais? Why are they just plain better than other Fighters?
Because they are Japanese, obviously. Just like Katanas are better than other swords. I thought you'd played D&D before? ;P (Heck, if you played any RPG and/or read any comic an/or saw any of the "Ninja" movie franchise, back in the 80s you should be familiar with the paradigm...)

One thing you could do to fix this would be to swap Strength Before Death and Fighting Spirit. Thoughts?
Samurai could just be a re-skinned Knights. Aside from being into archery, and all the various cultural differences, they were armored feudal nobility fighting from horseback or afoot. Treating them so differently is arguably 'orientalism,' anyway.

:shrug:

I confess that katanas were on my mind when I wrote that sentence.

Sly winks at orientalism aside: are there any substantive responses to the proposal? Is Strength Before Death too strong and/or unaesthetic for a level 3 ability? Is Fighting Spirit too weak as a capstone? Does not having Fighting Spirit available early on make the Samurai unaesthetic or unattractively unplayable? Is this all irrelevant anyway because Kobold Sharpshooter Eldritch Knights (using Enlarge to negate heavy weapon disadvantage) are the new black?

Last edited:

Fritzo

First Post
Sad thing about Strength Before Death is such a high level ability that most players won't get to use it, and yet it's so cool. I don't think your idea would feel better than the standard samurai though, you won't have any meaningful combat abilities to differentiate you from most fighters until you get rapid strike at 15th. Unless you are essentially dying lol, plus it's one use per long rest. Ultimately Fighting spirit will be more useful through a campaign.

But hell, try it. I'd make it three uses per short rest or something to compensate.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Is Strength Before Death too strong and/or unaesthetic for a level 3 ability? Is Fighting Spirit too weak as a capstone?
I'd gotten used to thinking of get out of death cards as epic level features in 4e, but thinking back, there were ordinary animals in the MM (boar & grizzly bear, IIRC) that could keep fighting into negatives...

I don't think strong/weak matters too much, you can always adjust...

...for instance, if Strength Before Death seems to powerful in play, just stop killing the Samurai so much.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Fighting Spirit is fun mechanically and encourages switch hitting (Sharpshooter AND Great Weapon?), but the flavor is weird: what does resistance to weapon damage have to do with Samurais? Why are they just plain better than other Fighters?

They're not really "better" than other fighters, though. That samurai is giving up battlemaster maneuvers and enhanced critical strike ranges to get advantage and resistance until the end of their next turn.

hejtmane

Explorer
Because they are Japanese, obviously. Just like Katanas are better than other swords. I thought you'd played D&D before? ;P (Heck, if you played any RPG and/or read any comic an/or saw any of the "Ninja" movie franchise, back in the 80s you should be familiar with the paradigm...)

Samurai could just be a re-skinned Knights. Aside from being into archery, and all the various cultural differences, they were armored feudal nobility fighting from horseback or afoot. Treating them so differently is arguably 'orientalism,' anyway.

Nailed it they even had heavy armor made from different material but much like plate mail heavy. The Katana' s had different length depending on the ryu and sometimes by the fight they had ones longer with longer handles made for use from the horse. Samurai where just as good at archery as they where the sword at one point. There bows are weird though you have a special glove with a thumb release. Any ways you nailed it on the head by a mile. Funny it also varied by era

It is too bad they didn't put in a sidebar about how the samurai (and the knights) were based on movies and comic books instead of real samurai (and knights). It seems like that would have clarified so much.....:p

They're not really "better" than other fighters, though. That samurai is giving up battlemaster maneuvers and enhanced critical strike ranges to get advantage and resistance until the end of their next turn.

My main point wasn't about opportunity cost and game balance. I meant to talk about flavor. In what way is a Samurai's "Fighting Spirit" superior to anyone else's? What justifies resistance to weapon damage and advantage on all attacks? By "the flavor is weird... Why are they just plain better than other Fighters?" I don't mean, "Why is the Samurai class overpowered relative to other subclasses?" (Arguable, see below*, but not the point.) What I mean is, "what is the Samurai doing differently than a normal Fighter? Why does his fighting spirit grant him crazy bonuses that other Fighters' fighting spirits don't?"

* There's a judgment call involved of course, because there's a wide range of battlemaster maneuvers available and they all do different things. But if you do the math it's hard to find a scenario where battlemaster maneuvers are better than auto-advantage plus resistance to damage. E.g. Tripping Attack + Action Surge is a famously good usage of superiority dice, and it only gives you advantage on three attacks at 5th level, and you only get to do it once. If we eyeball Precise Strike as somewhat like having advantage on three attacks (overly generous IMO), then the Battlemaster kind of has advantage on twelve attacks per short rest, plus he can play the melee kiting game against his prone enemy after the Tripping Attack, which is sort of like having resistance to damage for one round. Resistance for one round and advantage on twelve attacks is worse than resistance for three rounds (and change) and advantage on twelve attacks, which is what the Samurai gets.

And of course the Samurai is far simpler to use. Most players wouldn't know how to properly leverage Tripping Attack offensively or defensively.

Samurai isn't better than Eldritch Knight though, and not better than some houseruled versions of the Champion. May not be better than the UA Knight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases