• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ukraine invasion

Zardnaar

Legend
But, they already have! On February 26th, they vetoed a Security Council resolution demanding they stop their invasion. So any resolution about putting troops in to stop them is almost certain to get a veto. (Russia blocks Security Council action on Ukraine)

Traditionally, Russia, and the Soviet Union before them, have had little to no compunction against using the veto in their own interests. They do not care what the world thinks of this. They have no interest in the political play of restraining their voting, relying on other states to vote no for them.

That's not exclusive to the USSR/Russia to be fair.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well some of you may have known my pre Covid plan for eastern Europe. Was trying to talk my wife, and her sisters family into eastern European holiday.

Moldova-Kiev&Baltic States, SPB-Moscow down Volga-trans Siberian, Vladivostok, Japan-NZ or at least a section based on budget, visas etc.

Better times.

Cool city wanted to go there.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Yeah, for a few years before covid and the war, I'd been thinking I might try relocating to Ukraine for a while. Also wanted to do a long trip through China at some point. But it's looking like neither will ever happen now.

Geopolitics certainly has a way of messing things up for all us little people... and it's way more messed up for some than for others.

But, they already have! On February 26th, they vetoed a Security Council resolution demanding they stop their invasion. So any resolution about putting troops in to stop them is almost certain to get a veto. (Russia blocks Security Council action on Ukraine)

Traditionally, Russia, and the Soviet Union before them, have had little to no compunction against using the veto in their own interests. They do not care what the world thinks of this. They have no interest in the political play of restraining their voting, relying on other states to vote no for them.
I wasn't aware of this vote. Thanks for that. Soooo, that being said... The UN will not be sending a peacekeeping force, this means that if the UN President decides that Russia is any imminent threat to world security and with backing of the GenAss'y (I believe it was greater then 2/3 in favor of sanctions but can't access that info atm) he could authorize NATO intervention. This would.make NATO a UN agent but not a peacekeeping force, this means that while acting in the interests of the UN, any actions taken would be seen as aggression by Russia, but as long as formal war isn't declared (which is highly unlikely on NATOs part) if no expansionist actions are taken (ie defensive movements and relief of current Russian occupied Ukrainian lands, and not forays into Russian and Belarussian territories for the purpose of occupation (insurgency strikes are a grey area)) they would receive a full pardon from non-actionable (read - war crimes) military movements. Is all this clear as mud? Aren't the rules of modern warfare great? See all the crap you have to contend with just to shoot someone who shot at you or your friends first?

Zardnaar

Legend
I wasn't aware of this vote. Thanks for that. Soooo, that being said... The UN will not be sending a peacekeeping force, this means that if the UN President decides that Russia is any imminent threat to world security and with backing of the GenAss'y (I believe it was greater then 2/3 in favor of sanctions but can't access that info atm) he could authorize NATO intervention. This would.make NATO a UN agent but not a peacekeeping force, this means that while acting in the interests of the UN, any actions taken would be seen as aggression by Russia, but as long as formal war isn't declared (which is highly unlikely on NATOs part) if no expansionist actions are taken (ie defensive movements and relief of current Russian occupied Ukrainian lands, and not forays into Russian and Belarussian territories for the purpose of occupation (insurgency strikes are a grey area)) they would receive a full pardon from non-actionable (read - war crimes) military movements. Is all this clear as mud? Aren't the rules of modern warfare great? See all the crap you have to contend with just to shoot someone who shot at you or your friends first?

That's the diplomatic route. Push comes to shove great powers can do whatever the response will be whatever other nations chose to do or have the power to do. UN is just a glorified talking club.

They'll either use the general assembly to make things look good, do nothing or use article 5 depending on the situation and unfolding events. Or a few countries unilaterally intervene (realistically USA, UK, maybe France).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I would love to have the ability to veto repercussions for something I did wrong.

I dunno.

I'm trying to imagine this in a real life scenario.

Real Housewives of The United Nations Security Council

Ms. Russia: What is this? Why are you you all waiting for me?

Ms. America: Because we care about you. China, what do you have to say?

Ms. China: Hey. I'm just here for the snacks. I'm not getting involved.

Ms. France: Well, I'll say it. We're worried about you, Russia. We've seen all the drinking. The empty bottles of vodka everywhere. Look at you. You can barely stand.

Ms. Russia: What .... what is this, an intervention? You ... YOU want ME to stop drinking my beloved vodka?

Ms. United Kingdom: This is serious. We have a place picked out for you already at the rehab center, and ...

Ms. Russia: NYET! I AM EXERCISING MY VETO! Я люблю водку.

Ryujin

Legend
A Historical Eurpoean Martial Arts equpment company based in the Czech Republic, that has their manufacturing located in Russia, is moving their facilities to Georgia (the country, not the US state), because their business is getting killed.

Remove ads