Ukraine invasion

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Anyway, back to actually talking about the war...

It's looking more and more like Ukraine might actually have a chance at fending them off in the long run. Will be interesting to see if the end result is a return to the status quo for Ukraine and Russia. It would be a nice silver lining in all of this if the end result is the Russian people standing up and demanding a positive change in their own nation. Though that process will probably be bloody as well...

G

Guest 7034872

aww man, I'm so sorry to be the one to break it to you but google doesn't know anyones age or binary gender. This is the old codger forum for people with facebook, if you want 25-35 you got to go to reddit, if you want 18-25 instagram and you want younger its tiktok.
Yeah, they kind of do. I have friends who work for Google, and from what they've told me, the system knows a lot more about people than we usually suppose. Ask yourself this: how many times have you had to verify a Google-related login or sign-up with a phone number?

And as others have said, please don't bash the forum mods and the owner--that's not something that ends well. This site has a strict-but-clear TOS whereby we don't each have to agree with the site's sense of decorum; we just have to refrain from violating it while logged in.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Anyway, back to actually talking about the war...

It's looking more and more like Ukraine might actually have a chance at fending them off in the long run. Will be interesting to see if the end result is a return to the status quo for Ukraine and Russia. It would be a nice silver lining in all of this if the end result is the Russian people standing up and demanding a positive change in their own nation. Though that process will probably be bloody as well...

That is quite likely (that it will be long and possibly bloody). Depends on how much of the people that rises up, and how quickly the Russian leadership changes. For it to be lasting, it needs to come from the Russians, and not from outside sources. The question is, how close are the ties between Russia and China, and will China help prop up a failing Russia?

In the meanwhile, the suffering and costs needed to rebuild Ukraine keeps rising more and more the longer the conflict goes on.

It's also possible that, at this point, his main objective is to flatten as much of Kyiv as possible before withdrawing. He needs to save face somehow, and footage of yet another capital shattered by Russian artillery could feed his propaganda machine for years. Luckily for Kyiv, Russia's bombers are largely held at bay by Ukrainian air defenses. But another week or so of standoff artillery and cruise missiles could still do horrendous damage.

G

Guest 7034872

That is quite likely (that it will be long and possibly bloody). Depends on how much of the people that rises up, and how quickly the Russian leadership changes. For it to be lasting, it needs to come from the Russians, and not from outside sources. The question is, how close are the ties between Russia and China, and will China help prop up a failing Russia?
I fear that's right. From what I've heard and read, it seems Putin cannot back out now, but the Ukrainians will never, ever submit to him or Russia. Ukraine will survive, I think, but there'll be a lot of pointless, murderous death first. Contrariwise, this looks like the biggest mistake of Putin's life; I don't see this ending well for him.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I fear that's right. From what I've heard and read, it seems Putin cannot back out now, but the Ukrainians will never, ever submit to him or Russia. Ukraine will survive, I think, but there'll be a lot of pointless, murderous death first. Contrariwise, this looks like the biggest mistake of Putin's life; I don't see this ending well for him.

Yeah, the question then, if defeat becomes a certainty; Will he be content with retreating into obscurity, or quietly take his own life? Or will he out of spite decide to make sure the whole world burns? I fear the latter option, and can only hope that that will be a bridge too far for the people surrounding him, and that they will do what they can to prevent it.

G

Guest 7034872

Yeah, the question then, if defeat becomes a certainty; Will he be content with retreating into obscurity, or quietly take his own life? Or will he out of spite decide to make sure the whole world burns? I fear the latter option, and can only hope that that will be a bridge too far for the people surrounding him, and that they will do what they can to prevent it.
That is both my fear and my current best guess. That guy doesn't let things go once he fixates on them.

Remove ads