• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unarmed ninja?

RigaMortus2

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
lol, it's not that. it's this guy's caracter. he hates religion, he considers religious ppl weak, that's why I didn't want to go for a monk

I'll be back in a few hours, gotta get some sleep

I have a suggestion... If it fits the story, perhaps the reason why he hates religion is because he was forced to go to a monastery when he was younger (thus gaining 1 lvl in Monk) and something traumatic happened to him to turn him away from it, thus going into Ninja...

SorvahrSpahr said:
that's probably wht I'll end up doing

about the fighter feats, beside IUF, weapon focus/specialization, are there any good ones?

There are bunches of feats surrounding Stunning Fist if you go into them.

Axiomatic Strike -

Also, PHBII -

Acrobatic Strike - +4 bonus on your next attack after using a tumble to avoid an AoO.
Brutal Strike - if you are taking power attack and use it you can attempt to sicken your opponent for 1 round
Cunning Evasion - you can combine evading an AoE with a hide attempt if there is cover
Water Splitting Stone - helps your unarmed strikes overcome damage resistance
Shadow Striker (Tactical) - if you are the sneaky type, it will let you use some fun maneuvers.

Quick Reconnoiter from Complete Adventurer if you are the scouting type

Complete Warrior
Axiomatic Strike - spend a use of your stunning fist to do an extra 2d6 damage against a chaotic opponent
Extra Stunning - you gain 3 extra stunning fist attacks per day
Sun School (tactical) - nice monky maneuvers
Roundabout Kick - if you crit on an unarmed attack you can make an additional unarmed attack against the same foe at the same bonus
Rapid STunning - use stunning fist more than once per round
Pain Touch - burn a stunning fist use to nauseate a foe
Weakening touch - use a stunning first use to apply a -6 penalty to the target's strength for one minute

Book of Exalted Deeds - bear with me. Good does not necessarily equal religious. You can serve the pure ideal of good if you wish, and there are some interesting feats in here if you choose to do so. The Vow of Poverty monk has become classic, though I'm not sure that would fit your character. Do look into-

Touch of Golden Ice - you do Dex damage when you touch an evil creature. It doesn't work on good or neutral. I *love* this feat
Sanctify ki strike/holy ki strike/fist of the heavens - if you are good and want to be an anti-evil punching machine, look into these. At one point my unarmed attacks counted as magic/lawful/good/holy/adamantine weapons, so basically nothing that my lawful good character would beat up could resist my damage. Again, this may not fit your character.

If you do go the "pure good" route, your rp encounters with, say, a cleric of Pelor could be seriously hilarious. Who is holier than whom, eh? My $0.02

awayfarer

First Post
I only skimmed over the previous posts, sorry if someone already mentioned this. There is a feat in the Bo9S that gives you a higher unarmed damage progression. It tops out at 2d6 though.

justinsluder

First Post
Okay, the sudden strike applies to any non-magical attack which deals lethal damage. So, yes, a ninja with improved unarmed strike can get their sudden strike bonus to damage.

Of note, in the Book of Exalted Deeds there is a GENERAL feat called Subduing Strike. There is no prerequisite to take it and it allows you to deal nonlethal damage with lethal weapons without penalty. You can also get sneak attack damage as nonlethal with this feat. Since Sudden Strike and Sneak Attack are very, very similar I would rule that Subduing Strike works with it.

Hope this helps.

-Justin Sluder

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
saweet!!!! thx a lot guys

the monk idea RigaMortus2 suggested is cool, i'll see if I can work it out

the feats are looking good. maybe roundabout kick, I just loved it

the subduing strike sounds like a good idea 2. but I'm aiming for a more lethal chara

SorvahrSpahr said:
saweet!!!! thx a lot guys

the monk idea RigaMortus2 suggested is cool, i'll see if I can work it out

the feats are looking good. maybe roundabout kick, I just loved it

the subduing strike sounds like a good idea 2. but I'm aiming for a more lethal chara

If you go ninja, look into ki feats and the Complete Adventurer, Warrior, and Scoundrel. Anything that seems centered around rogues, monks, or assassins can probably be worked in.

If you have a mellow GM maybe you can get him or her to let your ninja and monk class levels stack for determining Stunning Fist uses, or have two ninja levels count as one monk level. Stunning Fist is great, plus there are lots of ways to use that Sudden Strike. Do notice that SS is not usable when flanking, only when dex damage is removed, but there are lots of feats to help you with that, not to mention feinting (improved feint and Tumbling Feint).

When you build your guy, don't overlook gear! A black catsuit (+2 to hide in shadows), silent shoes (+1 to move silently), hidden daggers and weapons of all sorts, Iceflow oil (alchemical grease spell), stinging smoke (aoe blind), smokesticks (obscuring fog - couple this with a ghost step and hide to vanish), and flash pellets (blind close foes with a flash of light). If you are smart, denying dex bonus to your foes isn't that hard.

SorvahrSpahr said:
hooohooooo that sounds saweeeeeet

but isn't the ghost step invisible enough to deny the dex bonus?

Well, the smokestick bit was something my ninja pulled the other day to get out of an ambush. I didn't like the odds, so I used Sleight of Hand to get a smokestick out of my pocket without the fellows with crossbows pointed at me seeing it and was suddenly in a fog cloud centered on myself. Ghost Step, run off the road to hide, and left the punks scratching their heads. They didn't know if I had teleported, cast invisibility, or what. Not the most martial approach, but I prefer the smart and sneaky type.

In answer to your question, yes, ghost step is enough to deny the dex bonus if your foe can't see invisible, but you have a limited number of uses per day. That said, one of the feats in Complete Scoundrel gives you extra ki uses. *grin* Though with Improved Feint (maybe a dip into the Invisible Blade PrC for free action feint), the right feats, and wise use of your hide skills and gear, you can get your opponent flat-footed without burning your Ghost Steps. Besides, it is just so damn flavorful!

Edit: Meant to link to this ninja handbook. Enjoy! http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=518732

Remove ads