• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unarmed ninja?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
phew it's been a while since I last came here...
well it's like this. I'm thinking of making an unarmed character. I thought of the ninja class 'cause it best fits the story, but this can change. I'm looking for good alternatives for unarmed characters. I don't want a monk 'cause believe me, no one from this guy's family would be allowed near a temple.

First thing that crossed my mind was a fighter with the improved unarmed feat + the weapon focus and specialization.
The second thing was ninja, but I'm not sure if the sudden strike can be used when unarmed.
I also considered a rogue for the sneak attack...but same doubt here (my pc can't handle the .pdf files right now, so I can't check)

So...any ideas, suggestions. I rly didn't want to go for a prestidge but if it's the only chance...

thx in advance

Legildur

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
I don't want a monk 'cause believe me, no one from this guy's family would be allowed near a temple.
Anything wrong with a Lawful Evil monk? The bad guys need to train somewhere.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
lol, it's not that. it's this guy's caracter. he hates religion, he considers religious ppl weak, that's why I didn't want to go for a monk

I'll be back in a few hours, gotta get some sleep

Ranger REG

Explorer
SorvahrSpahr said:
well it's like this. I'm thinking of making an unarmed character. I thought of the ninja class 'cause it best fits the story, but this can change. I'm looking for good alternatives for unarmed characters. I don't want a monk 'cause believe me, no one from this guy's family would be allowed near a temple.
Most families would offer their son or daughter to the temple or monastery to remedy the sins the family have incurred. Others like to have the church's influence as well as the court's (which is what some typical noble families in Europe would have a second son for).

Your character could be the "white" sheep of a violent family, probably saved by one of his own (usually, a mother or a sister who can't escape the environment) by being left at the doorstep of the temple, who took you in and raise you.

EDIT: Then again, you're better off taking the Swordsage and use the Diamond Mind Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw disciplines, preferring Unarmed Strike as your chosen weapon. Don't let the class name confuse you.

Last edited:

Unarmed.

SorvahrSpahr said:

First thing that crossed my mind was a fighter with the improved unarmed feat + the weapon focus and specialization.
The second thing was ninja, but I'm not sure if the sudden strike can be used when unarmed.
I also considered a rogue for the sneak attack...but same doubt here (my pc can't handle the .pdf files right now, so I can't check)

So...any ideas, suggestions. I rly didn't want to go for a prestidge but if it's the only chance...

thx in advance

If you have access to the Tome of Battle you can use the unarmed Swordsage variation. You could probably do a ninja variant the same way, losing the poison proficiencies in favor of unarmed or something. The sudden strike would work as long as you did lethal damage rather than subdual. A fighter with the right feats could also do some wicked damage with the right feats.

That said, not all monks are associated with religions or temples. Many of them are, in fact, not religious at all. PHB: 'A monk's training is her spiritual path. She is inner directed and capable of a private, mystic connection to the spiritual world, she needs neither clerics nor gods." Monks are also reknowned for looking past a person's heritage, family, and so forth and judging him or her on his merits rather than anything else. If your character's family is outcast, that might be reason enough for him to seek the shelter and peace of a monastery. For that matter, being at a non-religious monastery doesn't preclude him from being a ninja or a swordsage, either. They are all martial disciplines, just with a different focus.

Hope that helps. <3 monks!

Edit: A monk that views religious people as weak-willed and weak-minded would be absolutely fitting, not out of place at all. "Why look outside yourself for strength when all the power you could need can be channeled through your ki? Foolish cleric! Your god can forsake you. My Art never will."

Last edited:

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
hmm, that monk bit gave me a pretty good idea to throw at my players in my next campaign :]

gotta check that swordsage thingy, sounds pretty good.
for the fighter, which feats would you advise?

pallandrome

First Post
Well, why not just play a monk that didn't train in a monastery? Take the rules, but alter the flavor. I don't think any of the rules require monks to be religious. If not that, go fighter and take improved unarmed combat.

pallandrome

First Post
Improved Crit and Improved Init are both favorites of mine. Deflect arrows, snatch arrows, and stunning fist add some monk feel without the monk limitations. If you are willing to put up with the grapple rules (and ESPECIALLY if you can get you hands on a size increasing item) Improved Grapple can be especially disgusting. And remember, nothing says loving like punching someone while wearing full plate :D

Remove ads