• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unarmed ninja?

Enforcer

Explorer
If the target can't apply Dex to AC, yes, all attacks in a Flurry of Blows will be Sudden Strikes. It's the same thing as a Two-Weapon Fighting Ninja.

I don't have my Complete Adventurer handy, but can Ninjas make a full-round action after a ghost step? If not, a ninja/monk wouldn't be able to flurry at all.

Everybody out of the pool!

RigaMortus, Squire James, Tarek! Atten-shun! You, me, Rules Forum in a separate thread, now! I am starting the "Official Adaptive Style Debate Thread" in just a minute. We can continue this there. We have taken enough of Sorvahr's thread with this debate!

On topic:

"I've been thinking about this. let's say I take a couple monk lvls before ninja, and after a ghost step I hit with a flurry of blows. i know tht if the ninja has 2 attacks per round, both attacks will be sudden strikes, so would this apply to the flurry too?"

Lordie, I hadn't thought about that. I *think* so, as long as he still is denied the dex bonus (blinded, you invisible, etc.). That could be very nasty at higher levels....

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
there's no problem if you want to discuss the Official Adaptive Style in here

Enforcer: I think they can, since ghost step is a swift action. so... how does the flurry actually work? for exemple, frist monk lvl it has -2/-2, does that mean that I make two attacks with my ba and a penalty of -2 on both attacks?

Last edited:

Enforcer

Explorer
Ah, since Ghost Step is swift then you can definitely flurry.

The way it works is you take your full-round attack, at whatever bonus that gives you, then add another attack at the same bonus. Then all the attacks you make take a -2 penalty to hit.

Example 1: Your total unarmed attack bonus is +4. You Ghost Step and then flurry (not moving more than 5 ft. to get to your target or you won't have a full-round action to flurry with), gaining two attacks at +2/+2 to hit. Both attacks get Sudden Strike.

Example 2: You're now a Monk 1/Ninja 9. Let's say your total unarmed attack bonus (with ability modifiers, Weapon Focus, whatever all added in) is +10/+5. You ghost step and flurry. You get three attacks, all with Sudden Strike, with to hit totals of +8/+8/+3.

Clear as mud?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
hmm I believe so. then that means that at some point you get to make one extra attack with bonus points on the attack right? since the flurry eventually gets positive values

oh and about the Ascetic Stalker, that basically means that on a monk/ninja build I'll use the chracter lvl to calculate everything right?

Last edited:

SorvahrSpahr said:
hmm I believe so. then that means that at some point you get to make one extra attack with bonus points on the attack right? since the flurry eventually gets positive values

oh and about the Ascetic Stalker, that basically means that on a monk/ninja build I'll use the chracter lvl to calculate everything right?

Bingo! I'm glad you found something you liked! Where are you planning to take this, concept-wise, if I may ask?

Enforcer

Explorer
SorvahrSpahr said:
Yes, but since you're multiclassing, the flurry chart in the monk class won't really apply. Ignore the flurry attack bonus chart and just use the formula: one extra attack at your highest attack bonus (BAB + modifiers), then all attacks suffer a -2 penalty.

Yes.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
MongooseFamiliar said:
Bingo! I'm glad you found something you liked! Where are you planning to take this, concept-wise, if I may ask?

the character? well, it's still a work in progress so to speak, but basically it's like this:
Segare Masaru is the only son of a veteran ninja. Masaru always liked combining his ninja abilities with hand to hand combat than the ranged combat style his father used, so he trained for a few years with a monk who was an old comrade of his father. when he got back he continued his training as a ninja. his mther was a seer, Masaru never sw her doing anything too impressive, so he never payed much attention to his mother's visions. one night as he was leaving home, his mother got a vision, and told masaru he had to be home by 11, she didn't know exactly why, but he had to be there. Masaru went to his mission and spent a few hours later with his colleagues drinking. he arrived a bit late and found his parents dead by a local guild's member. he lunged at the man and killed him. as his mother was dieing she told him that she knew he was going to arrive late, so he shouldn't feel guilty about what happened. the townsfolk never rly blamed him for that, but Masaru still thinks he is the one to blame, so he decided to travel away from home for a while.

hehe...sorry for getting a bit excited back there. the feat works pretty well in this character since he uses his unarmmed strike and ghost step as a combo a lot of times

Remove ads