D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: 16 New Feats

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability." https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert...

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability."

Ec0zu9OU8AA8eVM.jpg

The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert, Shadow Touched, Shield Training, Slasher, Tandem Tactician, and Tracker.

Hohige

Explorer
I agree, it's a very potent build! I feel like I never hear people talk about how powerful the Shadow Sorcerer is. They get the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo for free, Hound of Ill Omen gives you a pseudo-Heighten Spell, and the other features are all super decent as well! Quickened Agonizing Blast is absurd damage, but it's going to hurt losing a spell level of progression dipping into Warlock though; probably still worth.
Yes
But don't need dip warlock. Agonizing Blast is from Eldritch Adept and Eldritch Blast is from Spell Sniper ^^.
It's pure level 8 Sorcerer with Devil Sight combo, Quickened Agonizing Blast with single classed Shadow Sorcerer.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Yes
But don't need dip warlock. Agonizing Blast is from Eldritch Adept

You cannot take Agonizing Blast with Eldritch Adept without dipping Warlock. The feat says...

"If the invocation has a prerequisite, you can choose that invocation only if you’re a warlock and only if you meet the prerequisite."

You call that an avalanche of feats? There were how many feats in Xanathar's? Like 1 per race? 5e came out SIX YEARS ago and this book they're working on seems to be first major player facing content update since 2017's Xanathar's Guide. I think they're allowed to have some fun with feats. This is just three pages or so? It's nothing.

I know, ri-wait... Xanathar's was THREE YEARS AGO? Where does all the time go?

Remathilis

Legend
Yes
But don't need dip warlock. Agonizing Blast is from Eldritch Adept and Eldritch Blast is from Spell Sniper ^^.
It's pure level 8 Sorcerer with Devil Sight combo, Quickened Agonizing Blast with single classed Shadow Sorcerer.
Technically, you can't take agonizing blast with the feat because you can't take any invocation with a prerequisite if you don't have Warlock levels, even if you meet the prerequisite otherwise.

Edit: ninja'd

Undrave

Legend
Yes

How many times are we gona have to repeat in this thread: You can't use Eldritch Adept to pick up an Invocation that has prerequisite unless you are a Warlock, even if you fulfill the other prerequisites.

Yes

Direct quote from Eldritch Adept feat:

If the invocation has a prerequisite, you can choose that invocation only if you’re a warlock and only if you meet the prerequisite.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That is one of my favorite aspect of feats. I would prefer there was no-multiclassing (we don't use it) and just feats that replicate part of a class. These types of feats + the variant class features UA are right up my alley. More please!
Add in some more pseudo MC subclasses, and I’d probably never MC a character again.
Although the "Practiced Expert" feat is indeed power creep from Xanathar's, I would never take the original feat but would strongly consider this one.
Is it? Most characters where I’d be choosing between the two would at least strongly consider Prodigy. Alchemist, Poisoner, Tinker, disguise, and Herbalist, tools are all very, very, useful.
I guess if you don’t use tools or languages much it can seem like the new features is flat out more powerful, but...that isn’t power creep, it’s just serving different campaign styles. Good.
They do have larger damage dice though.
Not by a huge amount. A feat to make them not a pain to use seems fine.
And I've never seen Feats in play in 5E yet...
Then how can you conclude anything about what benefit they do or do not bring? Sure, they don’t appeal to you, and that’s fine, but they bring plenty of benefit to the game.
In any language this is Power Creep!
Power Creep on a very creepy, power level. I like power creep....I am not sure I like this.
I’m flummoxed by your conclusions. None of that is power creep.
I think that benefit needs to be replaced with another one.
That benefit is the only reason I’d even be willing to consider the feat, or any other firearm feat. If I can’t speed load my gun without a hand free, I’ve forgotten the face of my father.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Then how can you conclude anything about what benefit they do or do not bring? Sure, they don’t appeal to you, and that’s fine, but they bring plenty of benefit to the game.

Fair point, to which I answer I started in 3.x, and I've seen little to indicate they are much different other than being blessedly optional and restrained in implementation.

Granted that they are part of the game, these options seem legit, and I like the multiclass-ish Feats more than the Multiclassing rules.

Though I realize the distinction from Feats is a bit arbitrary, I'd rather see a new variant rule that fit the ASI slots for 4E style Themes that level up over time (like "Pirate," or "Prophet," or something), so that Variant Humans or Fighter/Rogues get a jump on filling a subarchetype instead of more Feats...

Remove ads

Remove ads