• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: 16 New Feats

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability." https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert...

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability."

Ec0zu9OU8AA8eVM.jpg

The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert, Shadow Touched, Shield Training, Slasher, Tandem Tactician, and Tracker.

This is about my favorite UA ever. Finally the two-weapon fighting style is available to Rogues and Barbarians rather than being exclusive to classes who shouldn't be using it. Finally everyone, regardless of race, doesn't have to take up crime, music, or worshiping a god of knowledge in order to be the best in the world at a given skill. Finally, with a feat, a level 4 Sorcerer will have approximately the power I think they should have without that feat. Finally a two level Sorcerer dip is not completely pointless. Finally my Illusionist Wizard doesn't have to wait until level 18 to be as good at Disguise Self as his Warlock buddy. Finally they've started writing feats that give spells so that you can just use your spell slots. Finally martial characters can take a feat for Hunter's Mark instead of having to get all warlocky-emo and go for Hex.

YOU CAN'T TAKE AGONIZING BLAST WITH ELDRITCH ADAPT
BUT YOU CAN STILL TAKE A ONE LEVEL HEXBLADE DIP

A Variant Human Bard could still chose the feat at first level, have a choice of whichever at will spell they want, and switch to Agonizing Blast when they enter the Hexblade class.

I’m flummoxed by your conclusions. None of that is power creep.
Doc, I'm not going down this particular rabbit hole with you, again. I find your definition somewhat idiosyncratic...😀

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I like these a lot, except for the gun one. I’m fine with there being a Feat to gain proficiency with firearms, but that Feat shouldn’t allow you to ignore the loading property on them. I’m fine with removing the disadvantage for attacking with them in melee, but the ignore loading is too much, IMO.
Maybe it should only give that upgrade if you're already proficient with firearms from some other source.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
BUT YOU CAN STILL TAKE A ONE LEVEL HEXBLADE DIP

A Variant Human Bard could still chose the feat at first level, have a choice of whichever at will spell they want, and switch to Agonizing Blast when they enter the Hexblade class.

Accurate. Personally I would say "In for a penny, in for getting two 2nd level Pact Magic slots, invocations without a feat, and a Pact Boon" but to each their own, it's nice to have both options.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Doc, I'm not going down this particular rabbit hole with you, again. I find your definition somewhat idiosyncratic
It's...the normal definition.

Power creep is an increase to the power of the average PC, or to specific common character types, compared to when only the core books were available. Some folks include powergamer builds in the definition, but that is more controversial, since optimized builds are not the actual play norm.

A combo that is good isn't power creep, unless you can point to an actual total character that is more powerful than what you can make along a similar theme and concept using the core books.

But hey, I'm also here to just like...disagree with your actual analysis of nearly every option, if that's a more palatable discussion topic?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fair point, to which I answer I started in 3.x, and I've seen little to indicate they are much different other than being blessedly optional and restrained in implementation.

Granted that they are part of the game, these options seem legit, and I like the multiclass-ish Feats more than the Multiclassing rules.

Though I realize the distinction from Feats is a bit arbitrary, I'd rather see a new variant rule that fit the ASI slots for 4E style Themes that level up over time (like "Pirate," or "Prophet," or something), so that Variant Humans or Fighter/Rogues get a jump on filling a subarchetype instead of more Feats...

I would love to see an variant option like that, though I'd probably just add it to the game on top of what is there, because I love feats.

But speaking as someone with thousands of hours in both editions prior to 5e, I recommend trying 5e feats at some point, because they are fundamentally different from 3 or 4 e feats.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Fair point, to which I answer I started in 3.x, and I've seen little to indicate they are much different other than being blessedly optional and restrained in implementation.

Granted that they are part of the game, these options seem legit, and I like the multiclass-ish Feats more than the Multiclassing rules.

Though I realize the distinction from Feats is a bit arbitrary, I'd rather see a new variant rule that fit the ASI slots for 4E style Themes that level up over time (like "Pirate," or "Prophet," or something), so that Variant Humans or Fighter/Rogues get a jump on filling a subarchetype instead of more Feats...
That would be quite cool, maybe a +1 to an ability score at ASI level and then an additional thematic power/power increase.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Oh UA, it's been a while.

Artificer Initiate.
Now everyone can get in on that sweet technobabble action.

A Cantrip, 1st level spell, and the most interesting feature: You can use artisan's tools as a spellcasting focus for your INT spells now.

That last bit basically allows you to fluff up any kind of Wizard as an Artificer, or maybe a chef~ Is it better than magic Initiate, Yes. Is it overpowered? Heck no, artisan tools are basically the weakest kind of foci, only really useful if you are somehow picking locks as you cast spells. Otherwise, it just lets you cast your spells without doing a juggling act. I would even be willing to say that making the tools work on every spell that needs a foci wouldn't be a bad thing, all of the crazy multiclass combos are CHA based to begin with.

Chef.
Speak of the devil.

It's a half-feat that lets you raise CON or WIS, and gives you proficiency in cook's utensils if you need it.
On a short rest you can cook up a meal that gives you an extra 1d8 to your HD expenditures.
Also with 1 hour of downtime, you can make a Scooby Snack that gives everyone temp HP equal to your proficiency bonus.

Wisdom is a slightly oddball stat pick here, I could see CHA for the culinary arts angle.
This feat, while flavorful, quickly falls off in power past T1 of the game. Though it is very good in t1 of the game, where a couple of THP can make the difference between life and death quite often.

Crusher.
The Boulder's over his conflicted feelings and now he's ready to bury you in a rock-alanche!

Another Half-Feat, this time with STR or DEX! Unfortunately, only Monks have access to DEX based bludgeoning damage.
When you hit people with an attack that does bludgeoning damage, you can push them around.
That's actually quite good. And as a possibly unintended side effect, it makes the Magic Stone Cantrip more viable. Heck, it even gives some love to the sling, which needs all the love it can get.
Finally, when you crit, all other attack rolls against the creature have advantage until the end of your next turn.

I have to say, Wow. This feat addresses a problem that has been long-standing: Monks don't get transformative feats. Unfortunately, pushing (though undoubtedly useful) isn't quite as tangible as the +10 damage of GWM, so it will be hard to parse, but that advantage bonus for your entire party will feel extra good.

Eldritch Adept
An Ivocation for all, without actually dealing with a patron or having to do any questionable transactions that may or may not involve your soul.However you have to be a warlock if you want any invocation that needs any kind of prerequisite. Which mostly just exists so you can't get Agonizing Blast without being a warlock.

I actually homebrewed a feat like this, without the "having to be a warlock" snag. So yes.

The obvious play is Devil's Sight. But something a bit more obscure would be getting Armor of Shadows on your Abjurer.

Fey Touched.
Just a little bit of pixy dust.

A caster half-feat (wow there are a lot of those in here) that also lets you cast Misty Step and one other 1st level enchantment or diviniation spell of your pick. Which also be used with spell slots if you just want to expand your spell list.

You can pick up Bless or Hex. Which is basically great for everyone who can cast spells, but especially Sorcerers who need as many spells as they can get.

Fighting Initiate
A Fighting Style for the rest of us.

Barbarians and Rogues could benefit from this, the biggest boost for Archery Rogues. Monks not so much, at least not until the UA class variants makes it through to print.

Gunner
Whooboy, guns in D&D. Is this a(nother) sign of changing times?

A DEX half-feat, because of reasons. And you gain proficiency in guns.

The rest of it is copied out of Crossbow Expert, which is disappointing. Ignoring Loading is fine, but the no disadvantage at close range is a bit lazy. Why not a new mechanic, like a ricochet shot that lets you get a better angle of attack?

Metamagic Adept.
I sense a disturbance in the force, as if thousands of Sorcerer Stans had their toes trodden upon.

You get a metamagic option and 2 sorcery points that technically don't stack with any sorcerer points you may have from being a sorcerer because they only work on metamagic. Which is just a headache, sorcery points should only work like sorcery points, otherwise it's too much bookkeeping.

Piercer.
A half feat, that lets you reroll one die of damage when you deal stabby type damage.
Also, it works kind of like Brutal Critical for stabby damage.

This isn't nearly as exciting as Crusher. Sorry Rogues, maybe next time.

Poisoner.
You ignore poison resistance, which is a lot of monsters. Unfortunately, an order of magnitude more monsters are flat-out immune to poison damage, which is why poison damage sucks in the first place.
You also get proficiency in the poisoners kit and can apply poison with a bonus action.
Also also, you can create doses of poison that deal some extra damage and inflict the poisoned condition.

Yea, this isn't good. You would have to start with "Immunity becomes resistance" for poison to be a thing that players would consider. Then tie to poison DC to the characters proficiency, and because CON is the hardest of hard saves, make it save for half damage instead of no damage.

Practiced Expert
Now everyone can get Prodigy, which is a good thing because that is something that should exist.

Shadow Touched
Not as good as Fey Touched. Especially considering that Darkness isn't that great without Devil's Sight.

Shield Training
You gain shield proficiency and can use a shield as your focus.
Kind of a discount War Caster, only really worth it if you somehow don't already know how to use a shield yet.

Slasher
Reducing speed is good. Disadvantage on all attacks is potentially great.
Not as good as Crusher, but leagues more interesting then Piercer.

Tandem Tactician
Help as a bonus action, and at range.
If you have nothing else to do with your bonus action, here is something for you.

Tracker
Hunter's Mark could be really good for a Moon Druid. Otherwise you are just a discount Ranger.

Thoughts:
Seems like they wanted to do a bunch of multi-class-light options, which is nice. Crusher, if expanded properly, could be one of the things Monks are desperately in need of.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads