D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: 16 New Feats

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability." https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert...

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability."

Ec0zu9OU8AA8eVM.jpg

The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert, Shadow Touched, Shield Training, Slasher, Tandem Tactician, and Tracker.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah I suppose if it wasn't for the Mastermind, people would think it was all kinds of awesome.

I personally think its an awesome feat for Mastermind. Sure, the bonus action Help is redundant, but with the increased range from the mastermind and the increased target from the feat, you could have a powerful, resource-less, mundane buffer. Add to that Healer or Inspiring Leader, you could have a nice strategist character.

Something like a high Cha, Wis, Int rogue with moderate physical stats, expertise with Diplomacy, Perception, Medicine and Investigation. VHuman + Healer, Tandem at lvl 4 and Leader at 8th. Could go with Vhuman + Medium Armor (+2 dex, +1 Cha), that way you could ignore physical stats after Chargen.

Pauln6

Hero
Tandem Tactician is powerful, but not OP, IMHO. Find Familiar gives permanent advantage to one person with next to no cost. A Chronurgist can give literally everyone in the party a familiar, and give everyone advantage on everything, with less than 100 gp in cost.

Flanking (if you use it, which I don't) is OP, where standing in a certain way automatically gives you advantage to hit.

Giving a feat and a bonus action to get advantage for two people is not OP.
Didn't they nerf shield master to prevent bonus action advantage against single targets? Being prone potentially grants advantage on all subsequent attacks plus the target has to use some of its movement to stand. Plus the feat provides other benefits.

If I'm honest, I've always let our Fighter use the shield bash first and I've never thought it was overpowered. It makes his game more tactical because he also has other uses for his bonus action.

I'm also on the view that the feat would probably be OK. I just think it needs to trickier to get at level one and more suitable for smart or charismatic characters.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Didn't they nerf shield master to prevent bonus action advantage against single targets? Being prone potentially grants advantage on all subsequent attacks plus the target has to use some of its movement to stand. Plus the feat provides other benefits.
They did not nerf it, actually. I just checked, you still get to shove as a bonus action. You do have to take it after the Attack action, but that's still advantage on all subsequent attacks (Action Surge to abuse further).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It is, so I don't really see the point of them complaining about this feat. Saying this "steps on the toes of the Mastermind" is like saying "MARTIAL ADEPT STEPS ON THE TOES OF THE BATTLEMASTER!"

Of course it does. That's kind of the point of the feat.

Scratch that, that's the point of all of these feats.
I’d say the point is to allow a light dip into them, while also potentially adding to them, but yeah.

I do think the Artificer Initiate fails are the second part, though, and only kinda succeeds at the first. I don’t really care about the artificer cantrips or spells, so much. None are exclusive to artificer, or even rare. But I do want to infuse 1 item, maybe? But OTOH I love the idea of a blacksmith Eldritch Knight with the feat, treating his warhammer as a smithing hammer and his bound weapon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Finally got a chance to watch it (read; listen on my headphones while walking my dog and getting breakfast) and it’s pretty interesting. Nothing really new, outside of a clear view of the intent behind the different feats.

I think “crazy good” is a little much for Tandem Tactician, but we will see what the feedback nds up being.

I agree that I don't see it being that over the top, but maybe they found some weird cheese emerged at the table in practice?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Would anyone have a problem with allowing Eldritch Adept to choose Invocations based on character level even without being a Warlock?

I don't see the problem here. Otherwise what are the choices? At will Mage Armour or at will Silent Image?

For a full feat I think someone can have a full Invocation.

Pauln6

Hero
Would anyone have a problem with allowing Eldritch Adept to choose Invocations based on character level even without being a Warlock?

I don't see the problem here. Otherwise what are the choices? At will Mage Armour or at will Silent Image?

Might be tricky since RAW not even multiclass Warlocks get to count non Warlock levels.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My pre-playtest changes:

Crusher/Piercer/Slasher all one feat.
Fighting Initiate - add +1 str/dex/con
Eldritch Adept - Allow character level prereqs.
Tandem Tactician - Limit to 1 character Helped.

Shield Training - This is for spell users so let's make it thematic to those characters.

Prereq - Spellcasting

The Shield a magical conjuration of force that the character creates to defend themselves. It is similar to Shield of Faith however it does occupy a hand and cannot be combined with a real Shield.

I don't think it would add any game-breaking options - because most invocations give benefits that wouldn't be out-of-place (or even very strong) if they were granted by magic items. I.E. Witch sight gives you a lesser version of truesight but not until level 15.

I'm not sure I'd go for it myself if someone else was playing a warlock since "gets cool special at-will powers" is kinda their thing, so giving the full version of that to anyone with a feat would be a bit much - kind of like how Metamagic Adept would be crazy if the sorcery points scaled to level since that would give a wizard the same metamagic options as a sorcerer (the current version only allows the weaker ones).

Remove ads

Remove ads