• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Draconic Options

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair)...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair).

Harness the power of dragons in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! This playtest document presents race, feat, and spell options related to dragons in Dungeons & Dragons.

First is a trio of draconic race options presented as an alternative to the dragonborn race in the Player’s Handbook, as well as a fresh look at the kobold race. Then comes a handful of feat options that reflect a connection to draconic power. Finally, an assortment of spells—many of them bearing the names of famous or infamous dragons—offer a variety of approaches to manifesting dragon magic.

2C0B9D44-8EE0-44C5-ABCA-8ABCA08DF322.jpeg

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Grell are intelligent! They have philosophers and everything!

OK, admittedly, much of their philosophy is of the "Are humans best served barbecued or suis vide? And what does that say about you, the consumer?" variety, but still.

Psurlons could be interesting, though. I've never personally been an abolith fan.
never heard of a smart grell only hungry grell.

abolith work best with a mix of super ancient high tech things who were there before you and really focus on their hatred of the gods so they do not dislike pc as such but hate divine class with a passion and plan the exterminate the gods past that all nebulous also the ones we see in the MM are just the average joes the important ones are far strange in both bodies and of mind.

Xeviat

Hero
Really don't like breath weapon being part of the Attack action. Dragonborn is also a subpar choice, and that relegates them to being choices for classes with Extra Attack only.
It was always an action, so this is a boost for the extra action people. It's still better than a cantrip for casters. For rogues, it's less useful, though, unless they can catch like 3 people in it. A 12d6+dex vs 4d6 with dex for half could be a good trade if you catch a fair number in it.

My dragonborn PC uses it whenever he gets frightened and has a penalty on attack rolls. Gets scared, spits acid in their face.

GlassJaw

Hero
It was always an action, so this is a boost for the extra action people. It's still better than a cantrip for casters. For rogues, it's less useful, though, unless they can catch like 3 people in it. A 12d6+dex vs 4d6 with dex for half could be a good trade if you catch a fair number in it.

My dragonborn PC uses it whenever he gets frightened and has a penalty on attack rolls. Gets scared, spits acid in their face.
I do agree the change helps. It is still situational though.

The biggest issue with dragonborn is that breath weapon has the biggest "cost" but it's situational and limited. This UA certainly helps but it's a band-aid as opposed to a fix. The increased damage helps make it a bit more viable though.

The extra abilities are solid at least: flight, telepathy, immunity, new breath weapon effects. I don't like that Chromatic Immunity requires an action though, should be a bonus.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Coincidentally, last Friday I posted my best attempt at a list of all True Dragons in D&D, and which ones have been updated to 5E. I've been updating it as I find stuff I forgot, but this tells me I'll potentially be in for a lot more updates soon.

I really like the changes to Dragonborn, they fix a slight gap I've seen in play. I'm not in love with the fluff for Gem Flight, but it's easy to ignore. The Kobold Tail Attack is weird; I'd expect something else to be in there before it goes to press. The feats are nice, although I'm not sure about cure wounds for Gift of the Metallic Dragon. It's not something I'd normally associate with metallic dragons, but I'm not sure what else could go in there. Mage armor? Cause fear?

Remathilis

Legend
Grell are intelligent! They have philosophers and everything!

OK, admittedly, much of their philosophy is of the "Are humans best served barbecued or suis vide? And what does that say about you, the consumer?" variety, but still.

Psurlons could be interesting, though. I've never personally been an abolith fan.
They have very powerful priests as well. The Holy Grell, if you please...

I'll see my way out.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Does anyone have a rough idea for how soon the Ravenloft book was announced after the gothic lineages UA dropped?

I'm curious as to whether we will see an announcement for whatever this book is in the next week or so.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't doubt it would sell hugely - they've sold well in every edition thus far! And, yes, it could reasonably go either way - and I would love to see a dragons-only book. However, they have combined disparate groups in one book before, so I can see a dragon/fey book as a possibility as well.

But I was mainly pointing out that fitting a third group is probably very much not going to happen.
I think you are right.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Does anyone have a rough idea for how soon the Ravenloft book was announced after the gothic lineages UA dropped?

I'm curious as to whether we will see an announcement for whatever this book is in the next week or so.
  • August 5th - Gothic Subclasses UA
  • October 26th - Draconic Subclasses UA
  • January 13th - Candlekeep Mysteries announced
  • January 26th - Gothic Lineages UA drops.
  • February 23rd - Van Richter's Guide to Ravenloft announced
  • March 11th - Folk of the Feywild UA.
  • March 16th - Candlekeep Mysteries releaaed
  • April 14th - Draconic Lineages UA
  • May 18th - Van Richter's Guide releases
In the past, their pattern is to announce the next book or two just prior to the release of a new book, so whatever is next will probably be unveiled in May.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads