• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Draconic Options

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair)...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair).

Harness the power of dragons in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! This playtest document presents race, feat, and spell options related to dragons in Dungeons & Dragons.

First is a trio of draconic race options presented as an alternative to the dragonborn race in the Player’s Handbook, as well as a fresh look at the kobold race. Then comes a handful of feat options that reflect a connection to draconic power. Finally, an assortment of spells—many of them bearing the names of famous or infamous dragons—offer a variety of approaches to manifesting dragon magic.

2C0B9D44-8EE0-44C5-ABCA-8ABCA08DF322.jpeg

It's crazy that we don't. Dragons seem much more likely to be a warlock patron than, as has been depicted in previous editions, teaching draconic magic to lesser beings. Even a good-aligned dragon will want the option of turning the power faucet off if the warlock displeases them.
Probably for the reason we don't have a Fiend Blood Sorcerer, they seem to think a Dragon Patron Warlock might step on the toes of the Sorcerer class, because somehow Sorcerers have to keep the Dragon niche and Warlocks have to keep the Fiendish niche.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Probably for the reason we don't have a Fiend Blood Sorcerer, they seem to think a Dragon Patron Warlock might step on the toes of the Sorcerer class, because somehow Sorcerers have to keep the Dragon niche and Warlocks have to keep the Fiendish niche.
I want both of those things. We have a Psionic abomination themed Sorcerer now, they should mix more!

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
depends on how different they make them, we could use a really good pet warlock and drakes are common.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If we're on our second set of draconic UA material and there's no sign of anything other than a single fey UA, I don't think there's any reason to suspect this is going to be a Big Book of Multiple Monster Types.

Occam's Razor would suggest a Draconomicon and a separate book that includes fey stuff.

We'll have to see what the next UA contains.
I think if the September Adventure is Baba Yaga adjacent (as Tasha seems to hint at in sundry places), putting some new Rave options there would make sense, as they did for the Goliath in Icewind Dale, or Genasi in Princess of the Apocalypse.

If they set out to put every Dragon monster block from D&D history, plus a Volo's/Mordenkeinen's style section for the major Dragons, plus Dragon orn and Kobold reboots...

I think they can do that in one book. Mostly. Just barely.

It would sell, hugely, because it is a dragon themed art book. Those tend to be among the best sellers of any D&D edition, per WotC in the past.

I think if the September Adventure is Baba Yaga adjacent (as Tasha seems to hint at in sundry places), putting some new Rave options there would make sense, as they did for the Goliath in Icewind Dale, or Genasi in Princess of the Apocalypse.

If they set out to put every Dragon monster block from D&D history, plus a Volo's/Mordenkeinen's style section for the major Dragons, plus Dragon orn and Kobold reboots...

I think they can do that in one book. Mostly. Just barely.

It would sell, hugely, because it is a dragon themed art book. Those tend to be among the best sellers of any D&D edition, per WotC in the past.
I don't doubt it would sell hugely - they've sold well in every edition thus far! And, yes, it could reasonably go either way - and I would love to see a dragons-only book. However, they have combined disparate groups in one book before, so I can see a dragon/fey book as a possibility as well.

But I was mainly pointing out that fitting a third group is probably very much not going to happen.

Faolyn

(she/her)
grell are just animals go abolith and Psurlon.

I have debate hammering out an idea for a decent aberration pc character race with a suitably iconic look.
Grell are intelligent! They have philosophers and everything!

OK, admittedly, much of their philosophy is of the "Are humans best served barbecued or suis vide? And what does that say about you, the consumer?" variety, but still.

Psurlons could be interesting, though. I've never personally been an abolith fan.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads