• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Draconic Options

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair)...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair).

Harness the power of dragons in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! This playtest document presents race, feat, and spell options related to dragons in Dungeons & Dragons.

First is a trio of draconic race options presented as an alternative to the dragonborn race in the Player’s Handbook, as well as a fresh look at the kobold race. Then comes a handful of feat options that reflect a connection to draconic power. Finally, an assortment of spells—many of them bearing the names of famous or infamous dragons—offer a variety of approaches to manifesting dragon magic.

2C0B9D44-8EE0-44C5-ABCA-8ABCA08DF322.jpeg

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It seems that there is a mistake in the text for the Gift of the Metallic Dragons gift. The ability increase is missing (but implied by the text). I wonder it is also missing by mistake in the Chromatic feat.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It seems that there is a mistake in the text for the Gift of the Metallic Dragons gift. The ability increase is missing (but implied by the text). I wonder it is also missing by mistake in the Chromatic feat.
Could be they put it in originally, but crunched the numbers and found the powers were too good with an ability increase.

Kurotowa

Legend
We don't know that the Fry material is linked (thought he Rabbitfolk would work with Fizban), but Eberron has over twenty racial options and a whole Class.

I'll confess, since a MtG setting idea was being floating I was mostly comparing it to those books in my head. Rising from the Last War is still very much the exception when it comes to 5e setting books. Now, maybe Ravenloft will let us triangulate if there's a new baseline or not.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'll confess, since a MtG setting idea was being floating I was mostly comparing it to those books in my head. Rising from the Last War is still very much the exception when it comes to 5e setting books. Now, maybe Ravenloft will let us triangulate if there's a new baseline or not.
Eberron shows that the baseline for crunch options is based on need, rather than a strict quota. But still, two Subclasses are all that's coming for this book, as it is too late for a new Subclass test before whatever this is goes to print, based on their lead times. Lineages are a different story.

JEB

Legend
Thoughts:
  • Looks like they're sticking with pigeonholing casual players by class, unfortunately.
  • The updated dragonborn are pretty great, though! The chromatic dragonborn aren't way off from the core dragonborn, but indisputably better; the secondary breath weapon for the metallics is great and totally thematic; and the gem dragonborn are a cool new addition (also, it surely means gem dragons are in the book too).
  • I feel like they might be overcompensating a bit with the new kobold, especially with that draconic roar. I wasn't a huge fan of the groveling stuff either, but now they've gone all-in on "tiny dragon", erasing the old portrayal. (I would have preferred more trap/underground stuff.) That said, making one of their abilities to negate fear on themselves is pretty clever.
  • Feats seem pretty solid.
  • The new spells all seem pretty cool, and I love the name-drops. (Agreed that Fizban is no guarantee of Dragonlance, but I do wonder now how much Dragonlance will be in this book.) Also interesting that one (Flame Stride) is an artificer spell...
Overall, pretty great UA!

Last edited:

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair).

Harness the power of dragons in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! This playtest document presents race, feat, and spell options related to dragons in Dungeons & Dragons.

First is a trio of draconic race options presented as an alternative to the dragonborn race in the Player’s Handbook, as well as a fresh look at the kobold race. Then comes a handful of feat options that reflect a connection to draconic power. Finally, an assortment of spells—many of them bearing the names of famous or infamous dragons—offer a variety of approaches to manifesting dragon magic.

View attachment 135512
Nathair is the generic deity of faerie dragons, first introduced (as far as I am aware) in the 2e setting-neutral Monster Mythology, and thus would be the deity of faerie dragons in such places as Greyhawk as well..

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Other than Draconic Transformation and Summon Draconic Spirit, the other spells don't feel particularly draconic. They're fine, but they don't feel like something a dragon or their follower would use or something a dragon hunter would use.

It feels like a missed opportunity to not look at the three (!) dragon-focused 3E books and the 4E dragon books (two of them, as I recall) and bring the good stuff there forward. Hopefully they'll at least do that with the new monsters if this is indeed a Draconomicon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads