Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Four New Subclasses

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from Ben Petrisor, Dan Dillon, Bill Benham, Jeremy Crawford, F. Wesley Schneider. This one has four new subclasses Path of the Beast (Barbarian), Way of Mercy (Monk), Oath of the Watchers (Paladin), Noble Genie (Warlock).

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 6.51.08 PM.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You can even reflavor Infectious Fury as the Shadar-Kai Path of The Beast projecting Despair upon enemies, causing them to attack each due to hopelessness. The Psychic damage is if the enemies abandon all hope and despair.
Exactly! Yes! And inducing rage in allies! Shadar-kai as I run them basically hype each other up and keep each other’s adrenaline pumping, so stuff like that is hyper-on-brand.

doctorbadwolf

Notably, the Healer Monk, Genie Warlock and Lycanthrope Barbarian are concepts I've seen bandied about the community whenever people ask for ideas in what unserved archetypes remain (the Paladin seems to be descended from Mearls take on an Arcane Paladin on the Happy Fun Hour).
Good point! Maybe we will see a non-elemental Arcane monk at some point, too!

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
the Paladin seems to be descended from Mearls take on an Arcane Paladin on the Happy Fun Hour

IIRC, there were arcane-ish Paladins in earlier editions. Definitely some Mystra-worshipping Paladins in the FR.

But other than some of the flavor of the Oath tenets, Counterspell as an Oath Spell, and a passing reference to Channel Divinity boosting saves, it doesn't really bear much of any resemblance to Mearls' Oath of the Guardian skeleton framework:

Oath of the Guardian
Maintain the Balance. Each planar entity and region is important to maintaining the coherence of the whole. Strike at those who would disrupt the workings of the cosmos.
Preserve the Sanctity of Secret Lore. Ensure that only those with the wisdom and insight needed to wield cosmic secrets have access to them.
Dispel Ignorance of the Cosmos. Push back the veil of mystery that fiends can use to cloak their villainous aspirations. Extend our understanding of magic and the plans through exploration and inquiry.
Spread Understanding of the Balance. Share what you have learned responsibly, so that others can understand the scope of the threats you face and help you preserve the world.
3rd Level
  • Channel Divinity: counterspell-like effect, or save boost? AND smite boost vs. aberrations and planar creatures, TBD
  • Oath Spells
    • 3rd (1st): Detect Magic, Identify, Comprehend Languages
    • 5th (2nd): Detect Thoughts, Locate Object
    • 9th (3rd): Clairvoyance, Counterspell
    • 13th (4th): Arcane Eye, Locate Creature
    • 17th (5th): Contact Other Plane, Legend Lore, Scrying
7th Level
  • Arcane Ward:
    • Used like rage (x/day)
    • Creates aura of resistance against energy of your choice
    • Helps counter resistance
15th Level
  • Disruptive Smite: When you smite someone, they have trouble using magic and special abilities.
20th Level
  • Transformative ability
  • Lasts 1 minute
    • shuts down enemy spells nearby by cancelling saves and boosting saves
    • Antimagic aura vs. creatures as per spell

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Yes!

oh! Adapt the Dragon Fear feat for Dragonborn and you could have a badass Doom Speaker or whatever it was called. The guys who excel at Crowing, and make their enemies tremble, and then rush in and destroy them!

I am using this for when my Eberron players have to help an old PC turned NPC with a backstory related story arc....and maybe a future PC if I get a chance.
Yup you are right bout Doom Speakers. Awesome idea!

maceochaid

Explorer
Maybe tether is supposed to replicate the Sha-ir gen servant, but it's a clunky workaround that the Pact Boon isn't given until 3rd level, and the next opportunity to give an otherwordly patron feature to alter it isn't until 6th level.

I do like the idea of the Sha-ir being a warlock (2nd edition didn't have these other spell caster classes). But I think the best thing to do would be to make a minor gen servant

I would then alter the Collector's vessel to "Gen Vessel" keep it as a spellcasting focus, allow you to "release gen servant", and have the gen servant have an AC and Saving Throws equal to yours, beastmaster's beast style hit points, but you can cast spells from it's square and boosts your perception and arcana for an hour (I'd add arcana to give a little more of that consult gen for spell knowledge feel). If it reduced to 0 hit points it returns fully intact to your vessel.

I'd then add a pull box with fluff that connects your gen to your boons (the gen servant fetches you a weapon from the genie's horde [blade] spells from the library [book] or animals from their menagerie [chain])

Protective wish would then be more clearly turning the minor gen into some extra hit points for you (hence the Beastmaster pet HP progression)

With maybe an Eldritch invocation for chain warlocks to get an elemental servant OR include a stat block of a greater gen servant and have a box "at the DM's option a Warlock pact of the chain can select a greater gen servant as their familiar).

doctorbadwolf

Maybe I’m just not worried about past edition versions and whatever, but literally only the power level and a couple odd wordings of the warlock seems at all off to me.

make the bonus from the level 1 stronger, clean up the wording all around, and print it.

dwayne

Adventurer
I always felt the paladin should have been a sub fighter like class, but what ever. The Oath of the Watchers not sure if it was done on purpose but could it be similar to a certain show that came out a few weeks ago?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases