Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Of Ships and The Sea

Interesting. There's an old AD&D 2e "blue book" with that title: Of Ships and the Sea

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That would render it impossible to easily mix ship-combat with personal combat. I wouldn't be in favor.

I'm not sure that's the case. Generally ship to ship action occurs before boarding action, though there's nothing to stop ranged PCs from trying the occasional long range shot (though it would most likely be at disadvantage...) Once the ships are side by side the action shifts to PC combat and things speed up dramatically.

Allowing the ships time to maneuver (at a larger time scale) sounds more realistic

Satyrn

First Post
True that. As soon as I posted that I thought that they could also use the rules for the silt skimmers in Darksun. Air, water, silt, space. Different environments through which ships can sail.

Like the shoals of bankruptcy? Singing!

View attachment 103081It can be manly in insurance
We'll up your premium semi-annuallyView attachment 103081
View attachment 103081It's all tax deductible
We're fairly incorruptible, View attachment 103081
View attachment 103081We're sailing on the wide accountancy!

D

DQDesign

For you subjectively, but it seems to be working out OK.
sure, if they are happy living like reptilians, they surely can do that XD

or maybe is that their plan, make the supplement about lizardfolk, well... real :D

I also don't think an effective Artificer class can work without basic item crafting rules. So I hope that the crafting rules are forthcoming and the Artificer will build upon those.
I'd disagree with that.
I don't think the artificer needs to use the same crafting rules as other characters. Or that they need to make permanent magical items like they did in 3e, with a gp and experience cost. Just letting them "craft" an item as a feature should work.

Plus, magic item crafting, as it was presented in 3e, never really worked as intended. It was too easy to b

Making the Artificer a full caster is a cop-out (at best!) and it seems they are realizing that. The class needs to work and feel differently, and the crafting angle is a huge part of what it requires.
Other than the hasty first proposal when it was a wizard subclass, have any of their attempts been a full caster?

or maybe is a random choice and we try to find a sense on it.
I don't consider them as rational as they seem to be, neither I don't think they have a really detailed plan for the future, but you know, it's just only me as usual :)
I don't think they have some detailed master plan. I think they had a loose outline for years 3 and onward and are just reacting as needed. (But because of the nature of publishing, the DO need to plan a year in advance.)
But I also don't think they're irrational or just stumbling along pulling things together at the last minute.

D

DQDesign

I am sure they are happy making informed decisions based on previous results.

that doesn't sound like a plan, at least not like a detailed one.

my position is more akin the one of [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] , maybe they have a loose plan for a year, with the difference that I believe that on some topics/issues they are very late and stumbling. not on everything, just on something.

I'm not sure that's the case. Generally ship to ship action occurs before boarding action, though there's nothing to stop ranged PCs from trying the occasional long range shot (though it would most likely be at disadvantage...) Once the ships are side by side the action shifts to PC combat and things speed up dramatically.

I have never seen a group of PCs willing to wait for ship maneuvers to finish before taking individual action. They're constantly casting spells, making ranged attacks, in some cases swimming for the other ship. There's simply no solid line of demarcation in my experience.

lkj

Hero
as I said, no reliable plans.

I'm not quite sure what this means. You mean they don't tell us in advance what there plans are? That's true. Or do you mean that they are willing to change their internal plans to ensure that they don't sacrifice quality in order to meet arbitrary deadlines? Probably also true. Is it possible that they don't share all of their plans in advance partly because they don't want to create said arbitrary deadlines? I'd guess that's so. For example, they never actually set a date for the release of the Artificer UA. They just said they were planning to do one.

But as far as I know they do release their actual products on a pretty reliable schedule year after year. I mean, those products do get officially announced and then released in stores. And this operating procedure seems to work pretty well for them.

Is it completely within your rights not to want to support them because they don't detail their internal development schedule? Sure it is. But I wouldn't detail those either if I were them. But that's just me.

AD

Remove ads

Remove ads