Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Presents The Cleric's Order Domain

1) I'm glad those archetype designs appear on UA, most of them are wildly exotic and the concept...

1) I'm glad those archetype designs appear on UA, most of them are wildly exotic and the concept behind them is real interesting.
2) This domain is probably one of the first cleric domain to actually interests me. I love the cleric class chassis, but most of the domain dont inspire me much (maybe the knowledge domain, but since I play with a bunch of murderhobbos, the features are useless). Order Domain may be the one that convinces me to play one.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would change the heavy armor. That's not in line with this class. It should be something like proficiency in persuasion and intimidation.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Like many subclasses, it strikes me as one that needs one more edit before it shows up in a book, but it already passes the smell test as a good concept with a good suite of abilities (fen if they might need some tuning) to support it.

You hit it on the head.

Mike Mearls pulled back the curtain in one interview a while ago.  UA is first pass material - they want to gauge interest and get feedback before they spend time polishing features or even whole subclasses that won't make the cut.

That's why they suggest no multiclassing with UA materials - the balance pass to cut down on cherry picking and make sure it plays well with features from other classes is a distinct step in the process that occurs after the UA step.

But they put out ideas that they think will make it, and these are people who have a lot of experience with the system. Even their first draft usually fits the system well and and is based off solid ideas.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As someone who generally likes playing lawful characters and whose favorite 1e character was a cleric of Tyr, I dig the class. It's nice a flavorful, with some interesting mechanics. Mechanically, it does seem a hair too potent. But I think the lack of strong healing keeps it from being too OP.

I don't follow when you ay "lack of strong healing". It's on the cleric chassis which starts with strong healing, plus it has a potent ability that goes off whenever it targets an ally with a spell - including healing - so it's more likely to cast them because it gets more for the slot then other clerics.

It may not be "the best healing in the game" but you start with a strong heal list with full casting and get heal+attack for what other clerics would just get a heal. That sounds like it's one of the top.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wish we had 2E style Cleric domains in 5E, with Clerics getting access (or not getting access) to different Cleric spells based on the domain they chose. It made Clerics of different gods a lot different from each other besides the weapon they chose to wield.
It was scrapped because it made the temptation to choose function over form overwhelming.

Ever since 3E, the wisdom had been to give you all the essentials (the Cleric spell list) regardless of your domain choice.

pemerton

Legend
Order Domain PDF said:
Clerics of order are typically concerned with how things are done, rather than whether an action’s results are just
This stood out to me, as it expresses a fairly substantive view about the nature of justice.

Aldarc

Legend
Torm and Ra should be on that list as well
I kinda gathered that these lists were never meant to be all-comprehensive, but, rather, to provide a sample list of deities from a cross-selection of settings to give a collated sense of appropriate deities whose clerics may take up this domain.

I don't understand why it gets Voice of Authority for free while the Battle Master must spend a bonus action to deliver Commander's Strike. I'd like some kind of limit on the use of that specific ability. Either that or, as I see it, the bonus action requirement is working as an unnecessary nerf for the Battle Master ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads