Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting. What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The hour would start when the first person finishes casting Ceremony, but before the second person can start casting. We are scrutinizing a span of time that is less than a turn long, and you may be able to convince a DM to rule in favor of it, but a strict reading would prevent any spell of one hour casting time or longer from working.

There are only two people in the turn order and the order they take their turns is Ceremony 1 and Ceremony 2. So Ceremony 2 begins casting on second 1 of the hour, right?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Any reason you can't use Ceremony spell to transfer the Ceremony spell to a Wizard, who transfers back a Find Familiar spell?

The issue of timing has already been addressed, but there's also this (already mentioned by someone else): the Cleric can take the feat "Magic Initiate (Wizard)" to get one casting of Find Familiar per day; then can invest anyone with that casting.

Familiars for everybody! Having a familiar becomes no longer a Wizard-only schtick, and more of the flavor of the game leaks out through the cracks. . . .

schnee

First Post
Nah, Wizards should totally get to heal.

And also heavy armor!

And also martial weapons!

It's the power creep that has been happening in all D&D and Pathfinder since 2000. With every single product release, add new Wizard spells and abilities, about 2x as much as for any other class.

SO damn tired of the makers of this game worshipping arcane casters.

thedjally

First Post
Here are some thoughts on other spells:

Toll the Dead.
It's nice to have another necromancy combat spell. I suspect d12 is too much (even if it is contingent on the target already being wounded) -- esp. since the Death cleric's Reaper ability means that it can be twinned. This will make for a very nasty villain.

Guiding Hand.
This is remarkably powerful, and seems to take away (or at least reduce) a big part of the Exploration dimension -- or rather, changing the nature of the challenge, and forcing the DM to stymie the spell effect: "The hand stands 5' off shore on the quicksand sea..."

Primal Savagery.
It seems odd to me that the wisest druid in the forest does the most savage fingernail damage. I would much prefer to see it as a weapon attack and not a spell attack. Interaction with Shapechange hard to predict just reading it.

Puppet.
Easy way to disarm an opponent (drop a magic wand, magic sword, etc.). Combined with Luck or disadvantage, major combats might be over quicker than intended. Curiously, it will be disproportionately adverse vs. opponents who have already acted in the round (high-initiative), since once dropped another character can scoop it up, or whatever.

Sense Emotion.
With no save, I would expect public figures to have this being cast whenever in public -- instant detection of anyone wishing them ill.

Sudden Awakening.
I think it's meant to be a spell to deal with wandering monsters at night, but it's pretty cool as an anti-Sleep spell too.

Healing Elixer.
Replaces goodberry as the way to burn through remaining spell slots at the end of the day.

Unearthly chorus.
Bardic performance checks now amped up significantly, with 100 attempts to beguile your target for each song. It needs to have a clause adding that anyone who makes a save is immune from the effects of the spell.

Zephyr Strike.
This is an excellent spell, if only because (as has been noted) it offers a different way of rangering than Hunter's Mark. However, it makes you fast. Too fast. A regular Dash will now take you not 60' but 120'; a Rogue 2 with cunning action would be able to move 180'/turn.
A rouge 2 with a Haste spell can move (((30' + 30' [Zephyr]) x 2 [Haste]) x 4 [move, action, bonus action, additional action]) = 480', 520' if you are a Wood elf. zoom! 59 mph/95 kph!
Hey with regards to the doubling of movement. I had always understood it that when you have two things (or more) that double your movement they actually only add. So for example a tabaxi rogue can dash cunning-dash and tabaxi racial for the equivalent of 3 "double your movement".

I had understood this to mean instead of being base movement+2^3 base movement it's base plus 3x base, as every "double" only adds your base movement again.

I

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes

It takes a full 3600 seconds to finish casting the spell. You would need to be able to start on second 0, not second 1.

How are you not starting on second 0? NO time passes between the end of the first casting and the beginning of the second casting, so I am not seeing any missing time there. There is no time spent between turns. It's not like there is a second that ticks by before your casting can begin representing a shift from one turn to another, that I am aware of.

Lanliss

Explorer
Hey with regards to the doubling of movement. I had always understood it that when you have two things (or more) that double your movement they actually only add. So for example a tabaxi rogue can dash cunning-dash and tabaxi racial for the equivalent of 3 "double your movement".

I had understood this to mean instead of being base movement+2^3 base movement it's base plus 3x base, as every "double" only adds your base movement again.

I

The tabaxi feature "Doubles your speed", while movement and dash allow you to move up to your speed. If you double your speed, each dash and movement will be twice the size it would have been before.

EDIT: The only other variable that might conflict with the tabaxi skill is the Haste spell, as it also doubles your movement. That is when the two double= 3x movement speed comes into play, and each movement and dash will then be 3 times the original size.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Nah, Wizards should totally get to heal.

And also heavy armor!

And also martial weapons!

It's the power creep that has been happening in all D&D and Pathfinder since 2000. With every single product release, add new Wizard spells and abilities, about 2x as much as for any other class.

SO damn tired of the makers of this game worshipping arcane casters.

Well, having new spells is logical, Wizards do magic research and study all the time.

On the other hand, there are not many ways you can swing a weapon.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I hope they include the weapon feats in the big book of crunch. Although anyone can take them, they will benefit the more martial inclined classes/subclasses and provide interesting options above the usual swing and hit.

Geeknamese

Explorer
I hope they include the weapon feats in the big book of crunch. Although anyone can take them, they will benefit the more martial inclined classes/subclasses and provide interesting options above the usual swing and hit.

You could also check out Kobold Press' Beyond Damage Dice PDF. It gives additional properties to each weapon in the PHB to help differentiate all the weapons. A lot of the options are very cool and thematically correct for the weapons. Gives martial character types more tactical options rather than roll, hit and damage.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

Remove ads