Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited

Actually an interesting article. I'm still scanning through it, though. I like the way they discuss the traps, their creation, and countermeasures (something that was missing, I think, from the DMG). Poisoned Tempest is an absolutely inspired and devious trap! I love it!!!

Actually an interesting article. I'm still scanning through it, though. I like the way they discuss the traps, their creation, and countermeasures (something that was missing, I think, from the DMG).

Poisoned Tempest is an absolutely inspired and devious trap! I love it!!!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Certainly more useful then last weeks, and also love the lost city and forbidden city references.

Probably more in depth then some DMs are looking for, and it could use some editing. Bur more traps are always good!

Imaro

Legend
Countermeasures
I think these suffer from a problem similar to bad 4e skill challenges. The traps take 3+ actions to disarm because the challenge is designed to require multiple checks. Multiple checks as part of a multi-stage process are fine (i.e find the hidden compartment, unlock and remove the outer casing, disarm the mechanism). But when it's just repeating the exact same check three times, that's ridiculous. And not fun.
This doesn't particularly work at the table: if the action had no immediate reaction or benefit, why would you try again let alone twice more? From personal experience with a 4e trap, a player rolled a 20 and was excited, but the trap still needed two more checks for anything to happen. (I ruled the 20 count as two successes, but it still *felt* uneventful at the table as there was no effect that could be felt in play.)

This is especially problematic with spells and casting dispel magic. Even a 20th level wizard has to blow all their 3rd level spells to dispel a single complex trap. Who's going to do that?

I think the relevant part is...

Instead, each successful check foils some part of it or degrades its performance. Each element of the trap must be overcome individually to foil the trap as a whole.

So those checks actually should be affecting the trap as more successes are accumulated... either degrading it's effect or foiling some part of the trap.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Formatting
Initially I liked the more concise and delineated formatting.
But, upon deeper thought, I don't think it would work well in a published adventure. Unlike monsters, which are normally detailed elsewhere and then referenced in plain language, traps tend to be described in plain language in room descriptions. "When characters do X, then Y happens", and not separate trigger and effect paragraphs.

Similarly, complex traps are cool, but as presented take up too many space to ever be used in an adventure. Why use a complex trap that takes a full page when you could have two or three combat encounters?

Traps are already pretty sparsely used in published adventures.

My suspicion is that this has fallen out of their work on TotYP - a lot of traps to update in that collection! So perhaps they're experimenting with this form of presentation?

Chaosmancer

Legend
I would totally use the simple pit trap as part of a complex trap.
Adventurers: "Yeah, that piece of canvas isn't too obvious is it? We skirt the edge of the pit and get to the other side."
Me: "OK, great. That's easy enough, however when you get about three quarter's of the way past the pit you hear a sickening click as the person in the lead steps on a pressure plate. An instant later the corridor wall next to the pit slams inward, knocking you off the ledge and into the pit."
Add a relatively high Passive Perception check for the pressure plate, unless someone stated they were investigating the ledge. Also a Dex save to avoid getting hit by the wall and knocking you into the pit. I would give bludgeoning damage for the wall and for the fall.

I agree with the premise, but I’d foreshadow that particular example a bit more heavily. Figuring out the trap, then suddenly activating a part 2 that forces you into the trap you just avoided…. Some player may interpret that as the DM acting in bad faith.

Now, a dungeon established to be full of harsh traps that has a blade pop out of the wall while you’re skirting around the pit trap, that feels different to me than being pushed back into the pit. It’s a new threat meant to deal with people that avoid the first threat. I’m also a horrible person who loves putting well-hidden pits or pressure plates behind trip wires. So when the players just step over the wire, something bad also happens.

I think it's the end result that bothers me. They all seem intent on primarily being a HP/Healing drain, with some adding in a Movement hindrance. That's great and all...but, er, "simplistic"? Common? Typical? Not sure what word to use. Now don't get me wrong. Damage is a good thing for traps to do, but for the more "Deadly" ones, I want them to be, well, "Deadly". I want a Poison Gas trap under "Deadly" to be something like "Con sv., DC 15; Failure = Death; Success = 1d8 hp per round for 10 rounds or until removed/neutralized". To me THAT is "Deadly"...it will kill you if you fail, and may kill you anyway if you succeed. I want a rolling rock trap to be "A 10-tonne sphere rolls down the hall; Dex sv., DC 15 to avoid for M, DC 10 for S, DC 20 for L; Failure = Death and most items on character destroyed".

Death is Death...doesn't matter if you are 2nd level, or 20th. By linking traps primarily to HP's, it does a HUGE disservice to the origins of the game, IMHO. Yes, I'm an "Old Skool" DM (obviously), and that's how we play the game (and most RPG's we play, TBH). If a player describes what he does to nullify a poison needle trap, and it seems plausible, then thats that...no rolls needed. If he describes what he does that seems possible, but has some chance for failure...then roll. In short, the PLAYERS choices/descriptions have more of an impact than the stats on his sheet, usually, with regards to most aspects of any game I'm running.

Ah, okay. So it is less with the structures of how traps are activated or disarmed and more with the effects that were given. I get that, I wouldn’t go so far for instant death, but a trap that magically cursed someone or offered some other problem rather than just straight hp loss is more interesting.

A favorite I never got to use (they accidentally avoided every single trap in that entire dungeon) was a false door with a teleport rune. It teleported the person who opened the door into a different chamber. In that particular instance I think it was meant to transport them into a “fish tank” full of poisonous jellyfish. The end result was damage to a player, but the layer of separating the party would have freaked them out a lot more I think.

akr71

Hero
I agree with the premise, but I’d foreshadow that particular example a bit more heavily. Figuring out the trap, then suddenly activating a part 2 that forces you into the trap you just avoided…. Some player may interpret that as the DM acting in bad faith.

Now, a dungeon established to be full of harsh traps that has a blade pop out of the wall while you’re skirting around the pit trap, that feels different to me than being pushed back into the pit. It’s a new threat meant to deal with people that avoid the first threat. I’m also a horrible person who loves putting well-hidden pits or pressure plates behind trip wires. So when the players just step over the wire, something bad also happens.

Oh for sure - I agree 100% As a player I hate traps that don't serve any function except to deal damage. I was just lazy and didn't feel like detailing how I would incorporate the two in full. I was just trying to show how a DC10 Perception Pit Trap was not totally useless.

shamurai7

Banned
Banned
hmmph.....just buy Grimtooth's ultimate traps collection which is an edition proof book of the most amazing and evil traps ever conceived. It even has pictures of the mechanisms to show your players what killed them and a picture is worth a thousand poisoned darts.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
While thieves’ tools aren’t much help with disarming a lever, they can be used – given at least 5 minutes – to swap the on and off positions of the lever.
If you can do this, you can almost certainly make the lever simply not do anything at all.
Disarm: The easiest way to handle a pressure plate is to find a suitably heavy object to weigh it down, thereby freeing a creature to step off of the plate safely. However, tearing out nearby flagstones – requiring at least 5 minutes – allows a character using thieves’ tools (or ball bearings) to prop up the plate so that it cannot be depressed anymore.
I would have thought that wedging it with pitons would also potentially work if done carefully.
Spring Mechanism
Lacking thieves’ tools, a character can attempt to break the object with an attack (referring to the damaging objects rule in the DMG), though if an attack deals insufficient damage to destroy the object then the spring mechanism triggers.
You are ruling out the potential of opening the object in some way that avoids the spring mechanism.
Encounter Design: One of the most iconic traps of D&D is the poison needle hidden in the lock of a treasure chest.
It's unfortunately also one of the silliest, because it's one-shot and traps people who attempt to open the chest instead of people who succeed at it. It also doesn't hurt people who just walk around to the back of the chest and cut a hole in it.
Disarm: Flying or levitating often avoids a tripwire altogether, as most tripwires are placed low to the ground. Taking an action to attack a tripwire can trigger the trap at a safe distance. An Intelligence (Investigation) check may be necessary to deduce where a tripwire leads to; once that area is located then thieves’ tools can be used to safely end the tension on the tripwire without triggering the trap.
You're fixated on attacks when other actions would work just as well. Tying a piece of string around the tripwire should be effective and incredibly unlikely to trigger the trap unless it's intended to kill mice.
Magical Ward
A magical ward, like the glyph of warding spell, is a form of abjuration which triggers according to specifications defined by the spellcaster.
Trap Examples: any use of glyph of warding, fire-breathing statues, sphere of annihilation
Notice: A magical ward is almost invisible to the senses, though an Intelligence (Arcana or Investigation) check made as part of a thorough search – typically requiring at least 5 minutes – will discover barely perceptible glowing runes. If this check is made in pitch darkness it has advantage. Detect magic will always detect a magical ward as abjuration magic.
Disarm: Dispel magic cast at the appropriate level will disarm the magical ward. Depending on the individual ward, other means of disarming may be possible, such as dealing cold damage to a ward triggering a spell dealing fire damage. Thieves’ tools can’t disarm a magical ward.
Encounter Design: When used in moderation, magical wards can go a long way toward evoking a dungeon’s theme. It’s worthwhile to think of unique ways that characters can become aware of the trigger without detect magic and overcome it without resorting to dispel magic. If there’s a password or object to bypass the ward, consider which creatures in the dungeon know the password or possess such an object.
First: the positive. I like the "detecting magical runes is easier in darkness" bit.

However, this is probably the one that needs the most information, yet you've given it the least.
How does the spell detect creatures? Is it visually based? Where is it looking from? What specific thing is it keyed to attack? How good is it at seeing past disguises? Can it see in the dark? Can it detect creatures through solid impediments? You don't have to specify this stuff, but a DM needs to have thought it through.

Why can't thieves' tools disarm it? Is it really unreasonable to assume that there are mundane countermeasures to magic?

Example: A necromancer has inscribed a symbol of death on his spell book. The PCs are going to pilfer it because they're not high enough level to confront him directly, and having him unable to use his best spells twice is a pretty substantial weakening.

The spell triggers is "anybody but me looks at the book from within 17 feet and 5 inches".

Because the PCs are high level and have sufficient information gathering skills (or sufficient paranoia), they know the spellbook to be magically trapped, but they can't get specifics.

What can players actually do except stand 120 feet away from the book and cast dispel magic?

And the answer comes down to those questions above - how does the magic detect them and trigger: can the PCs turn off the lights and then simply pick up the book? Can they wear an evil necromancer disguise and pick up the book? Can they pre-emptively trigger the spell by making it think there is a target creature nearby without risking themselves (the spell just says "creatures" trigger it, so technically throwing a bug with compound eyes at the book should trigger it - and if the spell is visually cued, how does it tell if something is a creature)? Can they make their way to the book while pushing a pavise to hide behind? If they get close enough without triggering the symbol, can they deface the symbol and deactivate the magic? Or just shove the book into a box and close the box?

Answering those questions makes a magic trap something fun that you can use with abandon, instead of "magic traps suck, so only use them to make dispel magic a spell worth knowing"

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickleaf

Legend
If you can do this, you can almost certainly make the lever simply not do anything at all.

I would have thought that wedging it with pitons would also potentially work if done carefully.

You are ruling out the potential of opening the object in some way that avoids the spring mechanism.

It's unfortunately also one of the silliest, because it's one-shot and traps people who attempt to open the chest instead of people who succeed at it. It also doesn't hurt people who just walk around to the back of the chest and cut a hole in it.

You're fixated on attacks when other actions would work just as well. Tying a piece of string around the tripwire should be effective and incredibly unlikely to trigger the trap unless it's intended to kill mice.

First: the positive. I like the "detecting magical runes is easier in darkness" bit.

However, this is probably the one that needs the most information, yet you've given it the least.
How does the spell detect creatures? Is it visually based? Where is it looking from? What specific thing is it keyed to attack? How good is it at seeing past disguises? Can it see in the dark? Can it detect creatures through solid impediments? You don't have to specify this stuff, but a DM needs to have thought it through.

Why can't thieves' tools disarm it? Is it really unreasonable to assume that there are mundane countermeasures to magic?

Example: A necromancer has inscribed a symbol of death on his spell book. The PCs are going to pilfer it because they're not high enough level to confront him directly, and having him unable to use his best spells twice is a pretty substantial weakening.

The spell triggers is "anybody but me looks at the book from within 17 feet and 5 inches".

Because the PCs are high level and have sufficient information gathering skills (or sufficient paranoia), they know the spellbook to be magically trapped, but they can't get specifics.

What can players actually do except stand 120 feet away from the book and cast dispel magic?

And the answer comes down to those questions above - how does the magic detect them and trigger: can the PCs turn off the lights and then simply pick up the book? Can they wear an evil necromancer disguise and pick up the book? Can they pre-emptively trigger the spell by making it think there is a target creature nearby without risking themselves (the spell just says "creatures" trigger it, so technically throwing a bug with compound eyes at the book should trigger it - and if the spell is visually cued, how does it tell if something is a creature)? Can they make their way to the book while pushing a pavise to hide behind? If they get close enough without triggering the symbol, can they deface the symbol and deactivate the magic? Or just shove the book into a box and close the box?

Answering those questions makes a magic trap something fun that you can use with abandon, instead of "magic traps suck, so only use them to make dispel magic a spell worth knowing"

Yes to all of the above. :)

I wasn't attempting to be totally comprehensive in an Internet post, but rather to give a conceptual direction that I felt would be an improvement on the article & an improvement on how traps have been habitually handled in D&D.

If I were actually designing this for publication, yes, totally, it would be worthwhile to iterate the design and answer all these questions.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Yes to all of the above. :)

I wasn't attempting to be totally comprehensive in an Internet post, but rather to give a conceptual direction that I felt would be an improvement on the article & an improvement on how traps have been habitually handled in D&D.

If I were actually designing this for publication, yes, totally, it would be worthwhile to iterate the design and answer all these questions.

I just figured it's still worthwhile on an internet post!

Quickleaf

Legend
I just figured it's still worthwhile on an internet post!

I'm flattered you think so!

I have been working on my own reworking of traps from the ground up, and the UA article put a little fuel in my creative furnace. I'm debating how I want to share my ideas. There is enough I've developed to merits its own thread...maybe even a blog...and after playtesting maybe a product on Drivethru or DMsGuild.

To briefly answer your question about Magical Wards as a trigger type...The truth is I think there are several types of triggers that D&D habitually tends to clump under the "it's magic" label. I haven't yet unpacked that and figured out what those typologies are yet, but it's something I felt intuitively as soon as I started getting into trap design. For me, I think the ideal number of trigger types is roughly about the same as the number of monster types in D&D 5e (i.e. 14). I'd settle for about 10-12 distinct trigger types.

EDIT: Triggers to me are the interesting part of the trap, since they speak to how the trap is noticed & how it might be countered. The actual deleterious effects of a trap are already pretty well covered in the DMG according to threat range...though I do think that poison in particular needs some re-thinking and there should be an onset time. One of the principles I'm working with is "something happens...now give players a chance to respond."

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads