D&D 5E Unused Content Second Poll

Have you ever cast Find Traps, True Strike, or Spare the Dying in your game?

• Yes, and I had a positive experience.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Yes, and I had a negative experience.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • No, I have not used any of these.

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Poll closed .

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
In 5E, in actual play, have you used any of these at all during the time that they have been published options? I will be posting several polls separately to get a feel for what people are actually doing.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Spare the Dying certainly, and I was happy with it because it does what it says on the tin.

The other two, no.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I've used or had used (when I DM) all three.

Spare the Dying is ok, but it should have a range IMO.
Find Traps is nearly useless
True Strike is nearly pointless as well.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Spare the dying is great for a grave cleric since (iirc) it's ranged & doesn't count against cantrips. For anyone else it's a waste of a cantrip s;pt that could be replaced with a trivial cost trivial weight healers kit.

Traps are nice in theory, but 5e's 6-8 medium to hard combat encounter gas tank & extreme lack of risk that the PCs are built around just makes them overkill. I remember me & my players using them & similar pretty often in the 3.x & earlier days but using them siccessfully on 1-2 of 3-5ish encounters could be a big deal since & any given encounter could really matter. In 5e I've regularly seen players who wanted to use them on every encounter after setting them up & expecting an MMO style "pull" of monsters to their obvious trap simply because it's in the middle... but it doesn't matter now.

Stormonu

Legend
I've seen Spare the Dying used often.

We've modified True Strike to be a bonus action, so we've used it in that manner.

Haven't seen Find Traps (or Detect Evil, for that matter) used in 5E.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
We call it Spare the Dying From Having to Play the Game.

I feel like I've seen the other two in the wild at some point, but don't recall the context.

Remove ads