D&D 5E Unused Content Second Poll

Have you ever cast Find Traps, True Strike, or Spare the Dying in your game?

• Yes, and I had a positive experience.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Yes, and I had a negative experience.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • No, I have not used any of these.

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Poll closed .
I can't answer this because I have different responses:
True Strike is broken. The only time I've found it usable is in niche builds that may give additional casting for a non-combat cantrip or by using the A5E rare variant or homebrewed changes.

Spare the dying is weaker than I would prefer, but is usable and decent for what it does.

Find Traps in 5E is broken trash that has never been used at any of my games by either the DM or PCs.

aco175

Legend
Spare the dying just once but a healing word makes it less used. The others no, but we play with flanking rules so that may make true strike more moot.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
In 5E, in actual play, have you used any of these at all during the time that they have been published options? I will be posting several polls separately to get a feel for what people are actually doing.
Thank You everyone for your thoughtful comments. I'll share that I did this series of polls because these are truly options that I have not seen anyone take at all in hundreds of sessions over the years with dozens of players. I don't say 'never' lightly. More people than not have used one of these though and had a positive experience. Most who commented to that affect cited Spare the Dying as worthwhile. Still, when someone was down, my groups have literally every time found it more valuable to use other spells or means to get the downed character back on his/her feet. I see Find Traps and True Strike in the play test doc released today. Maybe in future revisions, these will be more usable. All of the characters in my sessions looking for traps has found it more productive to simply look around, or have a familiar or some such brave the hazard for them.

Remove ads