• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Up from the Dust: IC

Komodo

First Post
Nebiros' expression remains that of one who is thoroughly unimpressed as his "party members" list off their talents. He leans his back against a rock in close proximity to the fire and fiddles with an amulet around his thin neck. When there is a period of what he perceives to be enough silence, he speaks up. "I, for one, can handle myself, which is more," hisses the imp, "than I can say for most of the rest of you. But that's an issue for later discussion."

Nebiros wings flap twice, lifting the small demon into the air. He weaves to each side for a moment before hovering in one place, his black wings beating lazily. "I don't usually reveal my secrets, but I'm stuck with you for now, and I don't want to hear any stupid questions later on. I have ways of getting the things I want, and not all of them involve pumping you full of poison and waiting for you to die," he says with a flick of his barbed tail, "or slitting your throat while you sleep." He returns to the snowy ground. "Sages call me a 'fiend of possession', and since that has a nice ring to it, it's okay by me. I'm the one the preacher warned you about when you were little, the devil who made them do it, and the guy who makes exorcists work for their money," he says with a sharp-toothed grin. "Let's just say that I'm very persuasive."

Ashy

First Post
Kelleris said:
"Heh. And this would be the other reason not to go galivanting around out there before having a look around."

To Roth - "Thanks for that incredibly insightful analysis. I'm pretty sure they didn't expect us too, and I don't know if they know where to look for us either..."

Adauth helps himself to some stew and eats it quickly before standing up, now dry, and calling his armor and weapons back to himself. He makes a few passes in the air with his hands to warm up, and then casts his spell, studying the image for several minutes before doing it again to get a look at the inside of the shrine. Opening his eyes, Adauth describes the area to those gathered around the campfire.

"I think I can get us in there, though I'm not entirely sure what the mechanism is for. I haven't seen the like since I visited the Great Foundry of the Imperium." {OOC - But I'm willing to try to figure it out - a 32 bardic knowledge should get me something.}

"Now, next order of business. How experienced are the lot of you. We'll have to manage this carefully, since it looks like some of you are new to this sort of thing. I'm a fairly old hand myself, a soldier for many years and a wandering troublemaker for many after that. I can also speak for Ganshinji - she earned her name of Quickaxe. How many of you feel comfortable taking point, and how many will need protection. Be honest, please..."

{OOC: Ashy, is it okay to just have them read my spoilered description in this post?}

OOC: Everyone, you are free to read the spoiler under Adauth's name in the above link.

Kel, what mechanism is Adauth trying to figure out with the Bardic check?

Ashy

First Post
LeifVignirsson said:
You all can argue all you want about who will take the point and who will defend whom... I am going to go around and scout out the area a little more, make sure that there aren't any nasty surprises in store for us...

Grundy pulls out his sword and slashes it around a bit, a trail of ice following its motion.

As for my protection, I have Is Kyssa... I have Valandra and I have Hume... I think I can do just fine at the point...

Grundy nods to them all and starts to make his trip around the house, this time to make sure that there aren't any traps or whatnot...

Grundy (spot) 18 + 3 for spot skill = 21
(search) 8 + 10 for search skill = 18

Grundy completes his trip around the structure and while he notices four closed apatures which appear to be sealed entrances, he finds nothing which seems to bode ill or seem out of place...

OOC: Please bear in mind, Leif, that you are not privy to the discussion that is ongoing in the cave - you are quite a ways away from those characters...You are at the structure with Kal and Wato, but that is it.

Ashy

First Post
mps42 said:
This certainly is a strange building. Or whatever it is. But i'll bet the inside is probably warmer than the outside.

Kal will walk slowly around the sturucture or whatever it may bee looking for a way in.

You soon find four semi-circular apatures which appear to be some sort of entryway. Each of which is sealed. however...

Ashy

First Post
Mad Hatter said:
Before Grundy goes out Ganshinji says: "Well that was interesting. It might be wise to scout around a bit while Aduath attempts his scrying. I'll come with you, ummm Grundy is it? We should travel in groups until we get a more definate impression of what is going on."

DM-[sblock] Survival: 32
Spot: 24
Move Silently: 32
Hide: 23[/sblock]

OOC: Hatter, I am a little confused. Grundy is several hundred feet away from you and the others in the cave. Do you want to travel down to the structure as well???

LeifVignirsson

First Post
Grundy will make the long trek back to the group and report his findings.

OOC: Sorry, I thought someone had caught me before I went down to explore, thus my response... Won't happen again... ;)

Kelleris

Explorer
Hrm. Lots of easily ruffled feathers here.

"Please, I mean no disrespect. I am simply trying to get a feel for the situation. As the Master says, to be prepared is be always free to act. If we rush headlong into a situation where we could so easily find ourselves out of our league, disaster awaits. I would prefer not to face the imminent conflicts as an unruly mob when we could be working together to escape our pursuers. Now, I have a great deal of experience both as a soldier and as a leader of small companies, and I would like to think we can all appreciate the value of a good plan. We should have some kind of leader in mind before we fragment - as we have here - and all go looking for trouble. I'm willing to take up that role, unless there is someone here better qualified, but to do that I need to know who I'll be leading and as much as possible about what is going on."

"Unless another candidate steps forward, I believe I would be the best choice for a, shall we say, coordinator of efforts. I have no desire to impose my will on you - far from it - but a rather strong desire not to go back to whatever nightmare we were receently plucked from. To ensure that that does not happen, we need to take swift and decisive action, yes, but also action guided by one purpose and one plan. "

"I was a soldier for many years and an officer and field commander for many more before I fell in with the adventuring crowd. Since then, I've had the distinction of leading more than a dozen expeditions into terrain as dangerous and forbidding as this mysterious frozen wasteland. Indeed, command has become second-nature for me, and I know intimately the value of the right advice at the right time. I have even been privelaged to take up the arcane arts, as you've seen, and I am familiar with the vagaries of personality and ability that keep adventurers, wanderers, and old hands at the game of combat such as you appear to be from acting with one purpose. If you'll cooperate, I guarantee our chances of survival and escape will increase dramatically than if we simply wander over to mysterious buildings to poke them and see what they do. "

{OOC - Adauth is looking to be recognized as overly-large-party leader here. From an objective standpoint, I don't think there's any doubt that he's the best qualified, since he has everything you'd want in a leader (that's the way I made him). He has solid wisdom and intelligence scores (13 and 14), the highest non-imp charisma (18), bardic knowledge and divinations for reconnaissance and planning, marshal's auras and bardic music to represent the appropriately-given orders, all of the interaction skills he needs (Bluff, Intimidate, Sense Motive, etc.), and a spell selection geared to group tactics and battlefield control. Adauth is also tied for second-highest level character present, behind the imp, who doesn't strike me as the leaderly sort. Not trying to force anyone's decision, but there you have it.}

{For reference only, I rolled a Perform (oratory) check for the little speech and a Diplomacy check to soothe any bruised egos. The results were 31 and 26, respectively.}

Ashy - [sblock]The proper abbreviation of my handle is Kell. ;) :p I'm making the bardic knowledge check to see if I recognize such structures as this shrine from my research and travel, now that I've gotten a good look inside and out. Given Adauth's background, this most likely would come from the adventurer rumor mill - Adauth is something of a freelance commander for the leadership-impaired, so he's well in tune with goings-on of the adventuring sort. I know I'm out of my usual haunts here, but I figured a check result good enough to get know that's "extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who don’t understand the significance of the knowledge" will dredge up something to work with.

Just don't give me the usual "you heard in a song a while back" result, please. :D Ugh, I hate those. :mad: I see Adauth's bardic knowledge as representing a careful attention to detail and extensive travel and research, especially since he's not a musician of any kind.

I'm putting this into a spoiler block because I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm trying to force you to adjudicate bardic knowledge in a certain way. I've just been burned one too many times by DMs who make BK into a completely useless ability. :\ [/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Larris Human Fighter

Larris recognizes in Aduath a voice of command, having served many commanders in many places. "I'm willing to follow your lead as long as you seem to have our best interests in mind. My best interests are staying 'alive' and returning to something like a familiar place. Other than that damned line of course." He bows from the waist to Aduath, and assumes a stance of 'attention'. "What are your order sir?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads