• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Updated 5E Pregenerated Characters at Wizards.com

TheBlueKnight

Explorer
I just noticed that Wizards.com has updated the pregenerated 5E characters they posted a few weeks ago.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

They now cover levels 1-5 and have at least 1 character for each race (except gnome) and one for each class in the PHB for a total of 16 characters in all. Also on the same page are the pregens from the 5E Starter Set which also go from levels 1-5.

Characters are as follows:
Dragonborn Sorcerer - Outlander, Draconic Bloodline Sorcerous Origin
Dwarf (Hill) Cleric - Guild Jeweler, Life Domain
Elf (Drow) Rogue - Charlatan, Assassin Roguish Archetype
Elf (High) Fighter - Sage, Dueling Fighting Style, Eldritch Knight
Elf (High) Wizard - Noble, School of Evocation
Elf (Wood) Ranger - Outlander, Archery Fighting Style, Hunter Ranger Archetype
Half-Elf Bard - Entertainer, College of Lore
Half-Orc Paladin - Outlander, Great Weapon Fighting Style, Oath of Vengeance
Halfling (Stout) Monk - Acolyte, Way of the Open Fist Tradition
Halfling (Lightfoot) Rogue - Criminal, Thief Roguish Archetype
Human Barbarian - Outlander, Path of the Berserker
Human Cleric - Pirate, Tempest Domain
Human Druid - Folk Hero, Circle of the Moon
Human Fighter - Soldier, Protection Fighting Style, Champion Martial Archetype
Human Paladin - Noble, Protection Fighting Style, Oath of Devotion
Tiefling Warlock - Hermit, Pact of the Tome, The Fiend

Starter Set Characters are:
Human Fighter - Noble, Defense Fighting Style, Champion Martial Archetype
Human Fighter - Folk Hero, Archery Fighting Style, Champion Martial Archetype
Dwarf (Hill) Cleric - Soldier, Life Domain
Halfling (Lightfoot) Rogue - Criminal, Thief Roguish Archetype
Elf (High) Wizard - Acolyte, School of Evocation

I used the Dragonborn Sorcerer as a template for one of my players a week ago. Very handy.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Each pregen has an NPC style stat block. (I plan on using some in my next session).

A range of blank sheets are also compiled there.
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], might want to put this on the front page.

Li Shenron

Legend
Very nice!

I am not sure if these are good layouts for players (I suspect that most players would still want to copy the stuff into a character sheet, not use these NPC-type descriptions). But I am happy to see that they have a couple of my favourite ideas in place:

- showing only the skills and ST you are proficient in, instead of the whole list -> everything else is just an ability check, why having it twice on the sheet?
- listing stuff you can do grouped by the action type -> this helps a lot remembering what you can do (e.g. spells that can be cast as bonus actions or reactions)

There is still some duplicate information. And I would certainly remove all the general spellcasting rules, you only need to read these once.

redrick

First Post
On the one hand, great. Pregens are always useful for getting a game going in a hurry.

On the other hand, why aren't these available on character sheets like the starter set pregens? Those are awesome. I'm DM'ing for a bunch of new players tonight, and will be providing a bunch of pregen characters. I'll probably throw a couple together myself (by player request), throw down the starter set pregens, and then use some of these. In the interest of consistency, I'm going to have to copy these over to character sheets. Not the end of the world, but a pointless waste of time when the whole point of pregens is to be able to say, "oh yeah? D&D? give me a minute to fire up my printer."

I do like the natural language summary. Ideally, I'd couple each of my pregens with an index card that contained a sort of narrative summary of the character build, so new players can evaluate characters at a glance before they start deciphering the character sheet.

Kind of a missed opportunity, in my opinion.

redrick

First Post
I brought these to our game yesterday, along with the starter set pregens. I didn't have time to copy them to a character sheet myself, so I asked people to pick one out and then one of our two regulars would help copy to a fresh character sheet while I puttered about with setting up the space, finding extra chairs, printing out maps and all the other things that I always mean to do before people come over. It ended up being just as fast for said regular to build a new character from scratch for the player who didn't take a starter-set character.

I'm sure the utility of these goes up as you get to higher levels — building a 5th level character takes longer than a 1st level character. Not too helpful for me yesterday.

Has anybody tried just giving these sheets straight to new players and playing that way? Maybe my desire to have them use real character sheets was unwarranted.

Remove ads