D&D 4E UPDATED 6/20/08! kiznit's 4e Fold-over Character Sheet w/ Cards

arsieiuni

First Post
Dude, I totally love this sheet. I wish you'd give us some quick and easy instructions on constructing the powers pocket for those of use who suck at geometry... and spacial relations.... etc.. c.c *cough*

An idea... Make a second version of the second page, with an obviously female paperdoll :) Or if you were truly inspired, do so over again for each race, or at least each distinctive race (Elves and Eladrin could probably share lol) .... But at least, a female version. That'd be really cool. :)

I'd help if I had a layered version of the paper doll section. :)

kiznit

Explorer
A revision of the paper doll is planned for the next release, but I've got a few other things I'm cooking around with first. :)

Including instructions on making the pocket is a good idea, here's a basic how-to:

Cut out the main pocket and the hood. You may want to "trim into" the sides of the flaps on the pocket since they bump into each other when they're folded in.

Score the three flaps on the pocket using open scissors and a metal-edged ruler (print-side). Score the single flap of the hood the same way. Fold them all over.

I recommend double-sided tape or glue to attach them to the inside sheet. Hope that helps! :D

Last edited:

arsieiuni

First Post
It does! I would love to see it kinda illustrated out, but I realize that's a low priority concern. I just often find it hard to put those kind of things together without SEEing it done, you know?

In other news, I'm working on an auto-calculating version of the form-fillable version of your sheet. What would you like me to do with it when I finish? :)

Oh, also, my offer stands to help you make additional paper dolls. :)
You can see some of my artwork here:

www.arsieiuni.net

Alassenya

First Post
Hiya! Love the character form, the fillable one is awesome :)

There's a weird issue though, with the top right At Will and Encounter cards - under Effects, the At Will effect copies itself into the Encounter Effects part of the form, and vice versa. I'm using the latest version, and can work around it, except for Cirrian, my wizard. He needs all the cards he can get, and I can't use the top right At Will or Encounter cards yet.

Hope that's not too obtuse to understand... otherwise, genius work!

neolithic

First Post
arsieuni said:
In other news, I'm working on an auto-calculating version of the form-fillable version of your sheet. What would you like me to do with it when I finish?

This is awesome news and it is really incredible how this project has developed organically. I can't speak for Kiznit but you should just post a link in this thread when its done. I'd love to know how you did it though, probably opening up a giant can of worms right there :p

Alassenya said:
Hiya! Love the character form, the fillable one is awesome :)

There's a weird issue though, with the top right At Will and Encounter cards - under Effects, the At Will effect copies itself into the Encounter Effects part of the form, and vice versa. I'm using the latest version, and can work around it, except for Cirrian, my wizard. He needs all the cards he can get, and I can't use the top right At Will or Encounter cards yet.

Hope that's not too obtuse to understand... otherwise, genius work!

Will check this out when I get back to work. I'm sure that I double checked all the field names were unique but I might have missed one. Watch this space :)

Last edited:

Relbanan

First Post
Couple more thoughts for the next revision -

1. partition off a part of the Current Hit Points area for temporary hit points

2. add a block by each of the defenses (maybe not for AC?) for racial bonus, ie Human gets +1 to each. Oh - also, Reflex gets a bonus from using a Shield, not sure if it would be worth having an Armor block for each of the others as well?

thundershot

Adventurer
Excellent character sheet! My only issue so far is not enough At Will or Encounter fill-ins (between the ones you get, and the feats and racial ones and class features, it can add up), and nothing is really labeled Utility...

Chris

kiznit

Explorer
thundershot said:
Excellent character sheet! My only issue so far is not enough At Will or Encounter fill-ins (between the ones you get, and the feats and racial ones and class features, it can add up), and nothing is really labeled Utility...
I'm confused. Are you talking about the Power Index or the Power cards?

The Power Cards you can print more than one page, so anyone should have as many as they need :). Although there is something to be said for making the form-fillable page have a couple extra pages of each.

Utility powers come in at-will, encounter, or daily flavors, so I didn't see the need to make specific cards for them, though please note that some of the power cards are specifically personal or trigger cards and not attack cards which most utility powers tend to be.

arsieiuni

First Post
neolithic said:
I'd love to know how you did it though, probably opening up a giant can of worms right there :p

I wouldn't know where to begin... As in... what do you know and what do you not know? Heh. Perhaps it is not something to be discussed in this thread at any rate. Far too complicated and would run way off topic.

In general? Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 ... I don't know if you can make the form-fillable type pdf without pro, but I believe that you can't, so I'm assuming you have at least passing knowledge of Acrobat Pro?

In general, all those little boxes you made can be made to perform special functions by messing with their properties. On the properties window, there is a tab called "Calculate" with different options for making the page calculate things based on the various fields. A lot of it is really, really tough javascript and algebra (and I'm good at NEITHER, so I've had to do a LOT of research to learn how to perform certain functions) but in some cases, it's as simple as clicking a bunch of check boxes and telling it to produce the sum of these fields.

Currently, I'm debugging. I thought I had a finished version last night, but my husband informed me that I had stats messed up, as "17" was giving a "4" modifier. Sigh. Considering I ripped the scripts from my 3.5 auto-calc sheet to get the stats-to-statmods calculations, I have NO idea how this got messed up and I just hope it's an easy fix. :)

All that said, I'm left with a minor question. I notice that this sheet is still under construction to some degree, and here I've just picked up the current version of the form-filled version and begun adjusting it. But... if someone goes back and changes around some of the basics on the sheet... well, my work would need to be repeated in order to create a finalized version that matches the final version of the basic sheet. Frankly, I'm low on time and I get frustrated with tedious things like repeating a lot of tedious work (which auto-calc sheets can be.). So I'm left to wondering if there are ways to merge the sheets, i.e. changing the basic image that the pdf is based on to the new sheet version's image, so that most of the form-filled and auto-calc version work would remain in tact, and would just need to be adjusted. I doubt it. But if anyone knows, I need to be enlightened! :)

Additionally, if you want some more information on how the auto-calc stuff works, neo, just pm me or something so we can talk at length.

I never posted my 3.5 sheet to the public. I didn't think anyone would want their sheet the way I wanted mine. Mine was just set up to make sense to me... but when I read through Kiznit's post on this sheet, his mission statement and mine seemed to match. It kinda makes me wish I'd bothered to post my sheet way back when, but eh... I may end up dropping it on my site because some people are refusing to ever touch 4E and they still need good sheets. ;)

At any rate, this post has gotten long so I'll slow down. I'm debugging my current version of the auto-calc sheet. I'll post it when I get it as debugged as I can. I'm sure some other users will find issues for me to fix though. While I was playing with the form-filled version, I found more than a couple of minor issues. ( there were two ranged_misc fields, one of which I changed to misc_misc since it was in the misc attack area. :) It happens.) That is, for the form-filled, non-calc'd version... you'll want to change that. :)

Alright, back to work. I'll post again later!

arsieiuni

First Post
http://arsieiuni.net/roleplaying.html

I uploaded my auto-calc version of the sheet on my website.
Feel free to post this link on the main post with the others.
If anyone finds a bug, could you please report it to me? I included an email address in the file under one of the comments for that purpose. This will let me repair any issues that come up with the sheet. This has not been heavily tested so sorry if it has problems!

Most things calculate. Skills, Defenses, carry capacity, passive senses, even the "Next Level" box will automatically tell you how much exp you need to hit for the next level dependent upon what level you have entered in the box on page 1. :) (That was actually not so hard to put together!) You have to type "5" in the trained fields for skills because it would be a lot of painful coding to use the check boxes instead, but it'll total all your various bonuses and the stat mod together for a final skill bonus.

I found that if you changed the abilities and level around several time, the sheet would almost seem to get confused. I think this is an issue with Acrobat more than anything, so try to put your information in right the first time if you have issues with that. I think if you just enter something in once, it calculates properly. I'll let you guys know if I find a fix for this.

As with the other form-fillable version of this sheet, I don't know if it'll let you save without Adobe Pro, but you can print it. And no worries: The comments don't print. :)

Hope you guys enjoy!
Arsiei

Last edited:

Remove ads