[UPDATED] WotC To Close Forums - Including D&D and M:tG (aka "Welcome New Forum Members to EN World!

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

Here's the announcement in full.

Choosing to retire a former foundation of our community was not an easy decision, but we feel that we must adjust our communications structure to reflect where conversations about Wizards of the Coast games are taking place.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players.

We encourage past and current users to retrieve any information you want to retain from the Community Forums for both Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. The shutdown will occur on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. We want to provide enough time for our forum members to move their content, and we recognize that given our forum's vibrant user base and extensive history, this may take time. Any information still on the forums on the cut-off date will be deleted.

Thank you to all of our past and current forum users. You helped build our community into what it is now, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you on our many active social platforms.

WotC's Trevor Kidd had a little more to add.

"I could hop onto all the forums having this discussion or I can say it here and let it disseminate. I'm choosing the former. Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere. Enjoy your new forum homes and don't forget to migrate your treasured content!

On the topic of losing forum content - it's tough, I agree. Once we knew we were going to close the forums, we also knew we weren't going to maintain the community site indefinitely, so we opted to pull the band-aid off quickly rather than let it linger."

Welcome to new members!

If you're a refugee from WotC's forums, you are very welcome here. You can register here at EN World by clicking here. You'll find out community busy and vibrant, and generally welcoming. We've been here over 15 years now, and there is tons of useful content here and lots of great resources which you're welcome to explore. These include:

(Announcement spotted initially by Critical Hits on the Twitters).

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The mods over there were pretty dmned toxic at times, too.

I asked an errata-type question about certain significant items in starting equipment not being in the equipment lists and thus not having weights, and got bluntly told by a mod that (1) I was an idiot who couldn't read, (2) nobody uses encumbrance anyway so I should shove off, and (3) none of the Wizards staff read the forums anyway, so I was looking in the wrong place. And the did so with a number of expletives.

I'd have had a friendlier response over at theRPGSite.com...
Yes, theRPGSite is friendlier than the official D&D forums, in my experience.
I am not trying to lessen the rudeness of that response you received... but I don't think that it was a moderator that made that response to you, just another user on the forum, because the moderators over at WotC basically don't make posts outside of those containing their warnings or explanations of moderation.

I admit, you might not be the person I remember seeing ask that question and receive that response, but I think you are.

Benji

First Post
Morrus pointed out earlier in the thread that XP and Laughs don't work with mobile browsing -- do they also not work on Chrome? I don't see an option to grant XP or laughs (but I'm also a relative newbie to the boards here).

Edit: I can actually see the options to grant XP and/or Laughs on other threads, but not in this one.

Pauper, - You arent alone! I get this too. If I enter a discussion from 'What's new' sometimes it works. But never from the news thread.

miburo99

First Post
Welp, I'm sad that the WotC forums are going. Bad apples aside, it has been a useful central source of discussion over the years. That said, thanks to those of you in the enworld community who have extended a warm welcome to us. I will try my best to follow the appropriate rules and conduct.

Hopefully all of the guide and homebrew owners will move their stuff over or be okay if it is moved for them. Most of my homebrew material (e.g. Swordmage class) has been saved to google docs so I'll repost them wherever appropriate.

ZE_Lumis

Villager
Props to them for growing and adapting to trends. It's necessary to keep in touch with fans as well as not "waste" their efforts and energy on something when it can be better spent elsewhere.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
Hey gang. I just posted up some tweets that will, I'm sure, make it over here. I still wanted to come in and say hi again, you'll likely be seeing more of me around. I know transitioning can be difficult, but I also know that this community is an awesome one and those that move this way will be in good company. While we'll likely keep interacting via twitter and doing bigger chats via reddit, I'll be here, lurking or posting and if there's ever anything I can do or anything I can answer, I will.

Who are you again? ;)

Good to see you here at least. Invite some of the other guys over there to come on over as well. Given how long it took Perkins to get on Twitter, I'm guessing he'll start posting around 2027... :erm:

Anyway, it's odd: I haven't been to any forums in quite some time, but now that this announcement hit I'm finding myself wandering this forum far more than I use to. It's been a long time - fifteen years, I'd say - before I was heavy in a game forum... Maybe now's the time to return?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Morrus pointed out earlier in the thread that XP and Laughs don't work with mobile browsing -- do they also not work on Chrome? I don't see an option to grant XP or laughs (but I'm also a relative newbie to the boards here).

Edit: I can actually see the options to grant XP and/or Laughs on other threads, but not in this one.

They work when you are viewing the THREAD, if you are viewing the ARTICLE and reading the comments, they are not there. Not sure why.

Rune

Once A Fool
I don't remember that. I do remember the great war stories of...someone that kept posting a lot. :p ;)

Well, it didn't stay that way for long.

And you wouldn't be referring to a feline buccaneer who was playtesting the upcoming newfangled 3rd edition, would you?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well, it didn't stay that way for long.

And you wouldn't be referring to a feline buccaneer who was playtesting the upcoming newfangled 3rd edition, would you?

Not Piratecat. That other guy that had like 5,000 posts on his homebrew. Warcraft. Warhorse. War something...

Remove ads

Remove ads