• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED] WotC To Close Forums - Including D&D and M:tG (aka "Welcome New Forum Members to EN World!

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

Here's the announcement in full.

Choosing to retire a former foundation of our community was not an easy decision, but we feel that we must adjust our communications structure to reflect where conversations about Wizards of the Coast games are taking place.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players.

We encourage past and current users to retrieve any information you want to retain from the Community Forums for both Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. The shutdown will occur on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. We want to provide enough time for our forum members to move their content, and we recognize that given our forum's vibrant user base and extensive history, this may take time. Any information still on the forums on the cut-off date will be deleted.

Thank you to all of our past and current forum users. You helped build our community into what it is now, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you on our many active social platforms.

WotC's Trevor Kidd had a little more to add.

"I could hop onto all the forums having this discussion or I can say it here and let it disseminate. I'm choosing the former. Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere. Enjoy your new forum homes and don't forget to migrate your treasured content!

On the topic of losing forum content - it's tough, I agree. Once we knew we were going to close the forums, we also knew we weren't going to maintain the community site indefinitely, so we opted to pull the band-aid off quickly rather than let it linger."

Welcome to new members!

If you're a refugee from WotC's forums, you are very welcome here. You can register here at EN World by clicking here. You'll find out community busy and vibrant, and generally welcoming. We've been here over 15 years now, and there is tons of useful content here and lots of great resources which you're welcome to explore. These include:

(Announcement spotted initially by Critical Hits on the Twitters).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Tweets? We used to call those things "press releases". I'm not surprised a news and discussion website like Enworld would reprint your press release. It's certainly not some kind of new fangled 'social media' strategy.

I don't have a twitter account that I actually use and reddit can go DIAF. So I suppose I'll wait until it gets reprinted here to see it.

I prefer forums, but out of curiosity, why does reddit need to burn...it kinda looks like forums to me?

DnD Reddit

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
My guess is they license the forums and forum hosting from a separate company to the main webiste, that license has expired and they've chosen not to renew it. Its a sad day I think as a brand such as DnD really should be able to host its own forums :(

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
You need to get out more. Paizo, Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Green Ronin, and Kobold Press are all regularly & frequently active in their forums. From what I recall Crafty Games, SJ Games and Fantasy Flight Games do so as well but I visit them less frequently so things may have changed.

See, this is why limiting my forum (ab)use during working hours has limited my perspective ;-P

You are absolutely right. I will note though that these are mostly "larger" companies (in the RPG industry, at least), save for a couple of them, who clearly are just good at managing their time, and thus their audience.

I think the point of company-specific forums still remains: can it work? Hell yeah, sure, there's examples. But is it an effective use of your companies resources? The answer's different for different companies, but economies of scales certainly matter.

Don't let that diminish your point though. There's clearly some companies that are fantastic at developing and "bringing in" their communities, and for them, forums shouldn't be wasted.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]

You recently advised that we shouldn't lobby WotC from here at ENWorld. That we should do so over at the WotC forums.

Does this now change that proscription?

Not particularly.

Here's the thing - with lobbying, you are actively trying to get someone else (in this case, WotC) to take some action. Usually, some other poster will not want that action taken. This forms not the basis of a discussion (which is cool), but an argument (which is not cool).

Over in your warlord thread, we can see you taking considerable effort to exclude opinions contrary to yours from the discussion. We may occasionally ask folks to limit discussion so we can get greater focus on a topic, but that's different than chopping out dissent so that WotC won't see it along with your lobbying. I've seen you repeatedly say, in essence, "Please shut up and go away, you're working against me here." That's not discussion any more, and we are a discussion board.

So, if you like warlords, feel free to talk about them. If you want to brew up warlords in particular editions, have at it! But, if you have an agenda beyond talking about stuff with fellow gamers, that's apt to become a problem, and I don't recommend it.

Remove ads

Remove ads