• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Used up" magic and PC wealth?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Say you're building a 13th level wizard. By the book, he can have 110,000 gp worth of gear.

How should "already used up" magic count in that?

I think it's pretty clear that stuff like all the potions of cure X wounds don't count.

But what about a tome of understanding?

What about a scroll of permanency used on another spell?

Jeff

Last edited:

Steverooo

First Post
No, once you had "afforded" these items, and used them, they would no more count against your GP limit than a used vial of antitoxin, or a used flask of oil.

No, there are no rules on this. Yes, the various Manuals and Tomes are biggies... Save enough to "afford" a +5 Inherent enhancer item, make it, use it, and free up those GPs, and you could, conceivably, make another and use it, and so on until all six abilities had a +5 Inherent Bonus... Not a good thing, and should no be allowed, but there is no rule against it. Any GM who allows it should be horse-whipped, but there's no rule against it! :D

Barring a rule, the GM can do what they want. If you're the GM, rule that items with permanent, undispellable effects take up the GPs-slot, if you like. Permanency is dispellable. The effects of Manuals & Tomes aren't.

IMO, you should have to pay for any item who's effect(s) still apply. You have a +5 inherent bonus because you used a tome? Then you pay the full price for it, mon ami.

Same goes for spells made Permanent.

AR

Staffan

Legend
Steverooo said:
No, once you had "afforded" these items, and used them, they would no more count against your GP limit than a used vial of antitoxin, or a used flask of oil.
There is no such thing as a gp limit. There is a guideline in the DMG on how much gear a character should get when he starts at a certain level, but that's not a "gp limit" and it certainly doesn't apply once the character is in play (I think the gp/level chart is based on average treasure rewards with a small deduction for used-up magic (e.g. healing potions) and living expenses).

That said, I agree with those who say that if you are making a high-level character from scratch, used-up items that give you permanent bonuses should count against the starting allowance.

If the item gave a bonus that is still around, they pay for the item.

If they crafted an item themself, they pay 70% of the cost (1 XP = 5 gp - trust me, it all works out. See www.seankreynolds.com). Don't charge them XP for items that are no longer with them and no longer function - use the 70% gp cost instead. This even applies to permanency.

Otherwise, it doesn't count. There's no need for the player or DM to keep track of all those potions of resist fire the wizard burned through. Only count the ones he has now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads