Vecna: Eve of Ruin

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming May 21st!

Reynard

Legend
Well, y'know, they had their hands full with the anniversary and all...
Stephen Colbert Slow Clap GIF

Pretty sure WotC can still say "The events of BG3 still happen 100+ years from the current date."
They could, but marketing says "The Forgotten Realms is the world where the smash hit BG3 took place, play D&D and find out what happens next." So "the present" is going to be fixed at shortly after BG3 (which would make it 1493 I believe), for commercial reasons, at least until BG4 or the next smash hit D&D thing in popular media.

As for this adventure, most of it isn't set on the Forgotten Realms anyway, and as anyone who has read the Chronicles of Narnia or read a fairy story knows, time passes differently on other planes. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see some reference to "recent events in Baldur's Gate".

I noticed those 7 same symbols appear on the front of the Platinum Box as the symbols on the other circle of the back of the alt cover book.

I'm really curious if each of those seven symbols just represent each piece of the Rod, or if it represents the 7 main settings of 5e or both or whatever Guards each piece.
I think it's more likely they are on the rod, rather than being connected to the location or guardian.

Hussar

Legend
Now you've got it! Finally fix the BS that was 4E's lore change. Long time coming.

But that’s not what resetting the setting means. It means all that material after the grey box is gone. All those novels, setting books, video games? All gone. Poof.

You thought the Spellplague was a big change? Wait until you undo thirty years and thousands of pages of lore

Yeah that’s going to happen.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
But that’s not what resetting the setting means. It means all that material after the grey box is gone. All those novels, setting books, video games? All gone. Poof.

You thought the Spellplague was a big change? Wait until you undo thirty years and thousands of pages of lore

Lets be honest, they aren't going to do it. They've already invested money into Drizzt's Daughter. Not to mention spending time and money to promote the new "Good Drow who are so much more awesome than the evil ones". Plus all the other updates that they aren't/can't going to throw away.

At best we might get a multiverse thing where there are 2 timelines. I can see Salvatore happily staying in the "modern" timeline while Greenwood happily goes back to before WotC killed almost every single thing he created.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend

We already know the central concept pf the Campaign is time travel, via the obelisks.

The beauty of time travel is that nothing needs to be gone per se...juat it bwcomes...optional.

Stormonu

Legend
At best we might get a multiverse thing where there are 2 timelines. I can see Salvatore happily staying in the "modern" timeline while Greenwood happily goes back to before WotC killed almost every single thing he created.
Honestly, that's easy enough to do now by just ignoring the products that don't fit folks version of the realms.

Though, I wouldn't mind if they went the route of presenting a FR campaign boxed set that could be used in any time frame you wanted (Netheril, 1352 Gray Box, Time of Troubles, Spellplague, Sundering, Ruins of Vecna, whatever). Just so long as it had the maps to cover it and an appendix to note what needed to change for different time periods.

Remove ads