• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
Vecna: Eve of Ruin

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming May 21st!

dead

Explorer
Yes, and note how those dates bounce around the same time, and never reference results of other campaigns. The Sword Coast is in a quantum Flux of possibility, not a metaplot advancing.
I see a slow timeline advance as we’ve gone from 1485 to 1496. Individual adventures can be set any time they please, though. They might set one in the past in 1357, if they like. But if you ask someone what’s the current date in the Realms, they’ll say about 1496 DR. The setting hasn’t been reset.

It will be interesting to see the current state of the other settings in Eve of Ruin - Greyhawk, Dragonlance, etc. - on the multiversal stage.

Last edited:

In Star Trek its stuff with Temporal Shielding and various other effects that shield people and objects when their timeline changes. Everything changes around them, but it doesn't effect them even if it does mess with causality. Example was Annorax's ship, even when he destroyed his own civilization's past his temporal shielding protected him.
I literally just watched that episode of Voyager only 1 hour ago at lunchtime. The Year of Hell: Part One. Looking forward to Part Two tonight.

But I don't think there will be timey-wimey results if the Heroes win (and the canon going forward will assume that they will). But if the Heroes lose, the DM can do whatever they want (perhaps introduce the Doomed FR timeline if it interests you?)

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Why do people keep wanting the Realms to be reset? Why invalidate the decades of lore built up about the setting? It is what it is - a living setting that has changed over time. It's also a massive resource for anyone who wants to dumpster dive into the lore of the setting. I don't get these repeated calls for resetting the setting.

I wouldn't call a 100 year skip in time "living". It was basically a wipe and start over.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Sooo... those people want another wipe and start over?
Yes? Assuming it goes back before the wipe. It's not like anything has really changed lore wise aside from whats happened in the Drizzt books. Heck going back would revive a ton of iconic NPCs for WotC to work with. I'd love more Caderly stories.

Hussar

Legend
Yes? Assuming it goes back before the wipe. It's not like anything has really changed lore wise aside from whats happened in the Drizzt books. Heck going back would revive a ton of iconic NPCs for WotC to work with. I'd love more Caderly stories.

So reset the timeline and then just recycle the same characters?

Remove ads