D&D 5E Vecna's Dread Counterspell vs. Subtle Spell (a simple poll)

Can Vecna use Dread Counterspell against a spell cast with Subtle Spell?

• Poll closed .

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed. That seems to be the design direction for all the caster-monsters in Witchlike and Monsters of the Multiverse - leave a couple of high-flavor & usability spells once a day, and have a few spell-like action/reaction for general use.
Also, Fizban's, Strixhaven, Ravenloft, and Call of the Netherdeep, for that matter.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really, really, REALLY, REALLY think they just chose the phrase "that is" instead of "in the process of" simply because they didn't want to use the same phrasing.

Like subclass features:
  • Beginning at Xth level
  • When you reach Xth level
  • Starting at Xth level
  • After you reach Xth level
  • and so on...
... are simply different phrases that all are saying the same thing.

Until JC or some other "authority" for 5E indicates otherwise, that is just the way I am going to rule it at our table.
But that’s bot what the sentences say: they clearly indicate that only the caster needs to be seen, not the casting. That they did it twice is no accident.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It actually is pretty broadly useful.
Sure it's broadly useful, but we know that it's purpose cannot be avoiding counterspells, because it doesn't conceal material component use. If the purpose was to avoid counterspells, then there would be no visible material component use.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Nice move, P, quoting me and then blocking me, so you'll think I won't see it. ;)

Well, you can "have your text" all you want. Anyone who is so obsessed with analyzing the text to that level... well, anyway. Enjoy your game.

Yep. The text is clear. The intent is not. I choose to go with the text, because Vecna and big bad scary undead casters. Other can choose not to go with the text, because they believe the intent is for those abilities to be like counterspell. :)
Exactly.

But, alas, my words shall fall on deaf ears... 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads