• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vorpal Crits

DLichen

First Post
Obryn said:
I am 95% sure there was another thread here regarding whether or not a crit counts as "rolling" damage.

I wish I could remember where, but IIRC you got some nonsensical results if you didn't consider a critical damage to be "rolled."

-O

Could you enlighten me?

hong

WotC's bitch
DLichen said:
The problem is that it says maximum damage you can roll with your attack.

Unless english is significantly different where you're from, just because you can do something doesn't mean you actually did it.

I can roll a max of 6 on a d6, I don't need to roll a dice to find that out.
Yes, it is true that "roll a die" does not necessarily mean you physically pick up the random number generator shaped like a polyhedral thingy. Nevertheless, the meaning is clear from context.

Bandreus

First Post
Guys you're just trying to break the game.

Critical hits get weapon damage maximized, thus you calculate the highest damage you could roll with your attack, then take it as fixed damage. no roll. You can call that a damage roll or whatever you want, but the maximized damage does not include a die roll, it's, well, fixed (so no vorpal effect on it). Then you roll any EXTRA criticall damage (wich is effected by vorpal).

Now what? You give a vorpal weapon to a minion monster, then since minions always do fixed damage, the minion makes infinite damage with a vorpal just becouse you don't roll any dice, but you call it a damage roll anyway?

please, so lame.

hong

WotC's bitch
Bandreus said:
Guys you're just trying to break the game.

Critical hits get weapon damage maximized, thus you calculate the highest damage you could roll with your attack, then take it as fixed damage. no roll. You can call that a damage roll or whatever you want, but the maximized damage does not include a die roll, it's, well, fixed (so no vorpal effect on it). Then you roll any EXTRA criticall damage (wich is effected by vorpal).

Now what? You give a vorpal weapon to a minion monster, then since minions always do fixed damage, the minion makes infinite damage with a vorpal just becouse you don't roll any dice, but you call it a damage roll anyway?

please, so lame.
... why would you give a vorpal sword to a minion?

DLichen

First Post
hong said:
Yes, it is true that "roll a die" does not necessarily mean you physically pick up the random number generator shaped like a polyhedral thingy. Nevertheless, the meaning is clear from context.

Honestly, that makes no sense.

What's the highest you can roll on a d8? An 8

What's the highest you can roll on a d20? A 20

Are you going to say I rolled those dice because I determined the highest number I can roll on them? Please, that doesn't even begin to make sense. Repeating myself is getting really old at this point.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I don't understand why people are saying "no"
This would make the Vorpal weapon potentially more effective when you do not roll a critical strike.
Does anyone remember a couple months ago, when 3.x was still arround and Vorpal weapons KILLED the end?
I believe it is the intent of the Vorpal weapon to automatically do its maximum damage, then roll the extra bucket of dice as bonus damage (As per "Additional damage rules" (The page number escapes me).

I know I for one do not ever want to utter the words "Can I please choose to not use this natural 20 as a critical strike please, please, please?"

DLichen

First Post
Lord Xtheth said:
I don't understand why people are saying "no"
This would make the Vorpal weapon potentially more effective when you do not roll a critical strike.
Does anyone remember a couple months ago, when 3.x was still arround and Vorpal weapons KILLED the end?
I believe it is the intent of the Vorpal weapon to automatically do its maximum damage, then roll the extra bucket of dice as bonus damage (As per "Additional damage rules" (The page number escapes me).

I know I for one do not ever want to utter the words "Can I please choose to not use this natural 20 as a critical strike please, please, please?"

That's not true at all, since you can still potientially max the 6 extra critical hit dice you get, not to mention the extra damage die from high crit weapons.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Well, scythes can be vorpal and isn't high crit .. so those exploding [W] dice (from say, a 5+[W] attack) have a fair whack at being > 6 exploding D12s

Bandreus

First Post
hong said:
... why would you give a vorpal sword to a minion?

because a minion with a vorpal (given your reading of the rules) would do infinite damage on a normal hit, not only on critical ones. minions don't roll damage, they just do fixed damage. since that's fixed damage, its the max damage they can deal, any given damage roll is max, so they keep on rolling their "max" damage with a vorpal.

now this is extreme.
vorpal is supposed to be nasty, not to roll X[w] more dice than usual on a crit. you just determine damage and roll dice normally, it just happens whenever you phisicaly roll max damage on a die, you reroll and add up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads