D&D 5E Warlock Mechanics - The best representation of modern fantasy archetypes in Dnd

I actually wonder how WotC would "smooth over" the warlock, given their current design philosophy of emphasizing simplicity and PC power. The easiest way is to reduce the power of Eldritch Blast, but I don't think that would go over well with the fanbase they're trying to court. Maybe make all their options just as strong?
One of the reasons the warlock is in practice the simplest spellcaster is that Eldritch Blast is so strong. This means that "I cast Eldritch Blast" is never a wrong choice, and allows the warlock's spell list and spell slots to be kept lean. What's needed is for each warlock subclass to gain its own at will option. A choice between "I eldritch blast" and "I breathe fire" is far more interesting while not changing the power level much.

So the warlock now has two primary at wills. Y'know, the way 4e did it ;)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
One of the reasons the warlock is in practice the simplest spellcaster is that Eldritch Blast is so strong. This means that "I cast Eldritch Blast" is never a wrong choice, and allows the warlock's spell list and spell slots to be kept lean. What's needed is for each warlock subclass to gain its own at will option. A choice between "I eldritch blast" and "I breathe fire" is far more interesting while not changing the power level much.

So the warlock now has two primary at wills. Y'know, the way 4e did it ;)
That would probably work, but my natural pessimism leads me to think they're not going to do that.

Level Up's version of the warlock, where Eldritch Blast is a class ability that can be expressed in several different ways, is a superior approach IMO.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That would probably work, but my natural pessimism leads me to think they're not going to do that.

Level Up's version of the warlock, where Eldritch Blast is a class ability that can be expressed in several different ways, is a superior approach IMO.
Given that Eldritch Blast wasn’t on the arcane spell list in the Expert packet, I’d bet that it does in fact end up being a Warlock class ability.

Undrave

Legend
It’s worth noting that warlock provides three different avenues of character abilities customisation: their pact, their patron and their invocations, not to mention picking their spells on top of that
Love that mix-and-match aspect. Feels like the Cleric would have been perfect for that approach too.
I wonder what WotC thinks about the Warlock being more popular than the Wizard.
Maybe they'll change their names to Warlock of the Coast? :p The Wizard fans on the design team probably subconsciously hate it.
It's a short rest class with set "magical" features (invocations), big deal. Many classes have short rest features. I find the patrons very meh and have worked with @Undrave in helping them develop two (more interesting IMO) subclasses.

Me, neither. Their power-level is fine, it is their "ho-hum" nature that makes them less appealing to me. Although I will admit I really like the two new subclasses @Undrave has developed and I assisted on. Those have a more "cool factor" for me.
Thank you! Your help was greatly appreciated!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Unfortunately, I haven't yet played one at the table, but I am playing one in the Solasta computer game. It's a blast and really makes me want to play one.

Remove ads