D&D 5E Warlock query, Advantage vs Hex

Hi folks,

I'm unclear which does more damage in the long run:

a) Casting Agonizing Blast with Hex to do 1d6 extra damage per hit

b) Casting Agonizing Blast with Darkness* to shoot each beam at advantage

*I confirm my warlock has Devil's Sight

I understand there's a mathematical way to figure out which has the better average damage, but I'm assuming the theoretical average doesn't quite capture the effectiveness of these combos in gameplay (especially since most averages I see calculated don't consider hits/misses)

TL;DR — does 1d6 extra damage per beam end up doing more damage than simply missing fewer shots?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It really depends on how hard the target is for you to hit. The higher your attack bonus compared to their AC, the more likely it is for Hex to be the better option.

If you are facing an ooze with AC 5, go for the Hex .

If you are facing a foe with platemail and a shield at AC 20, then you are probably better off with darkness.

The other thing you have to consider is whether or not you have room to cast darkness without interfering with your party members. In dungeons it's often Hex by default.

neogod22

Explorer
Hex will do more damage in the long run since darkness is situational. Darkness will have an advantage against enemies that can't get out of it (i.e. enemies trapped in a room), but that's pretty much it. If it can be defeated (i.e. the creature steps out, or doesn't need to see, it doesn't help. Also, it will be a detriment to the rest of your party who will also not be able to see in it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

You know, choosing based on AC makes a lot of sense. I do have a question about this, though:

The other thing you have to consider is whether or not you have room to cast darkness without interfering with your party members.

Mechanically speaking/RAW, my understanding is two blind enemies fighting each other conduct combat normally given how advantage and disadvantage cancel out. The only difference is AoO don't happen since it relies on sight.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
You know, choosing based on AC makes a lot of sense. I do have a question about this, though:

Mechanically speaking/RAW, my understanding is two blind enemies fighting each other conduct combat normally given how advantage and disadvantage cancel out. The only difference is AoO don't happen since it relies on sight.

They also have to be able to find each other. Not really a problem if they are already engaged in melee, but ranged characters will hate you.
Plus, a lot of spells require you to see your target. Not a problem for you, but if there are other spellcasters in the party it will make life difficult for them.
You will also be potentially shutting down other players feats or abilities that require sight to function - like polearm masters Opp Attack against incoming foes, etc.

Just check with the rest of your party to see if it is going to cause serious problems for them.

That being said, there are situations where Darkness can be more valuable because it levels the playing field. I was in an encounter with an Frost Giant who could cast 5th level spells and wielded a greatsword. They hit us with Cone of Cold, counterspelled the cleric's Mass Healing Word, then cast Greater Invisibility on themselves.

My paladin/warlock was able to turn the combat around by getting out of their LOS so they couldn't counter me, and then casting Darkness. Now their Greater Invisibility was useless and they couldn't counterspell anymore. We dragged people out of the darkness so the cleric could heal them, and whittled down the opposing group of giants.

Last edited:

Remove ads