D&D (2024) Warlocks Should Have Pacts As Part of Gameplay

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Now, I actually don’t love the focus on the patron in the 5e warlock. IMO the 4e Pacts had a much better balance by letting you pick and choose how deep to dive into the Pact pool in terms of powers and paragon paths and the like.

That said, I think that the Warlock should have a feature or several features where they can evoke a power into a circle, wrestle with it mentally, and gain a temporary power boost.

I’d model it with three checks and different levels of success based on how many beat the DC. Ie, 3 gets you really juicy juice, 1 gets you very little, 0 gets you little and a negative consequence.

Could also do it with a single check and different DCs, like in Star Wars Saga Edition.

In fact…

Here is the Telekinetic Focus Force Regimen from that game.

IMG_1935.png

Something like this. Give other classes things to do in downtime that directly benefit them when they go back to adventuring, as well, but for the Warlock, it should be making deals with Powers.

mellored

Legend
I kind of feel like they need to do something and then they get power in exchange.

Like getting a spell slot back when you kill something under hex.
Or Fey might let you use misty step every time you cast an Enchantment.

Stuff that would (mildly) encourage you to burn down a orphanage and steal babies.

doctorbadwolf

I kind of feel like they need to do something and then they get power in exchange.

Yeah stuff that is great, but what I’m talking about making deals using ritual magic, having to research Names and design rituals of invocation, and being able to have different buffs depending on what ritual you do/what you summon up to bargain with. The assumption is that you are trading the power gleaned from defeating foes, but you could get weird with it if that’s your jam.

Stuff that would (mildly) encourage you to burn down a orphanage and steal babies.
😬 I prefer the mechanics never encourage evil characters.
I llike the 'contact patron' from the playtest I just wish it was less a spell annd more a mental action all 3rd level warlocks could take.
Yeah the way things are going anything like that is gonna be a spell.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Agreed. They have functionally signed a contract with at least one extra-planar entity. It would be nice if the warlock's end of the bargain wasn't lip service (or less) so they have a paper-thin excuse for where their cool powers come from.

doctorbadwolf

Agreed. They have functionally signed a contract with at least one extra-planar entity. It would be nice if the warlock's end of the bargain wasn't lip service (or less) so they have a paper-thin excuse for where their cool powers come from.
I’ve never understood this mindset. The warlock feeds power to their patron every time they gain more power, or merc some poor fool, or whatever. Done!

Like…I’m sorry but if my behavior was determined by the deal, I should also be able to call upon my patron or their servants when I need them.

Micah Sweet

I’ve never understood this mindset. The warlock feeds power to their patron every time they gain more power, or merc some poor fool, or whatever. Done!

Like…I’m sorry but if my behavior was determined by the deal, I should also be able to call upon my patron or their servants when I need them.
I agree. Make that part of it too. I just want a deal with the devil to be a two-way street.

I like when the mechanics have a nod to the flavor (engaging in a Patron Communion ritual to petition the recovery of spell slots would be cool), however I do not like when the mechanics require the adventure to center around a character, or require the character to engage in evil, otherwise they are less effective.

Micah Sweet

I like when the mechanics have a nod to the flavor (engaging in a Patron Communion ritual to petition the recovery of spell slots would be cool), however I do not like when the mechanics require the adventure to center around a character, or require the character to engage in evil, otherwise they are less effective.
There are plenty of patrons who aren't evil though, and who your patron is is a player choice. No one's forcing them to get their power from Hell, for example.

Remove ads