• Concord Administrator

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other (post your idea/choice)

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 20 16.8%

mellored

Legend
No. The wizard is casting a spell which infuses the fighter with magic that lets him exceed his own already considerable skill. Nowhere in the spell's description does it say that the wizard is telling the fighter how to use his fighting skills better. Please quit trying to muddy the discussion by conflating such things.
The wizard doesn't have to cast a spell.

Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in
attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint,
distract the target, or in some other way team up to
make your ally’s attack m ore effective. If your ally
attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack
roll is made with advantage.

Handing out attack bonuses to an unlimited number of friends, all day long as a bonus action, is far too potent for a 1st-level class feature. Given the paradigm of bounded accuracy, especially.
It's +1 to 1 target.
It's not all day long unless you fight the same creature all day long.

But your right about the unlimited allies. That should be limited. 6 is probably better so it works in big groups.

1: Battle Study: You can spend a bonus action to study a creature who is engaged in combat and gain insight into their weaknesses and then share it with your allies. Up to four of your allies within 60 feet, who can see and hear you, may add 1 to an attack rolls against the creature once during the combat. They may use this bonus after rolling but before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest. At 5th level you regain them after a short or long rest. The bonus granted increases when you reach certain levels in this class. It becomes +2 at 5th level, +3 at 10th level, and +4 at 15th level.
Seems too complicated. Much easier to track a flat +1 then +1 that you can use only once. Creatures don't last that long in 5e. If something can take 4 hits, the chance of +1 to matter is 18.549375%.
59.04% at level 15, but at that point each attack means less, unless your a rogue.

But yes, that would work too.

Though my question was about the emotional effect of the ability. Do you think that would make people feel bad?

mellored

Legend
So my barbarian only has to admire your warlord when you are around? Brilliant.
I don't know how you misunderstood me.

No inspirational effect is permanent. Except maybe the paladin's aura.

To be blunt, I'm glad you are not the one creating 5e then. There's more to D&D than "tactics" (whatever that even means).
I agree.

I would pretty much only be able to do the balancing.
Though they did a pretty good job.

And how do you think the barbarian PC might react after the fellow wizard PC keeps casting charm person on him to get him to do what he wants?
I don't know.

Educate me. How would he feel?

ChrisCarlson

First Post
The wizard doesn't have to cast a spell.

Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in
attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint,
distract the target, or in some other way team up to
make your ally’s attack m ore effective. If your ally
attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack
roll is made with advantage.
So play a wizard who aids others. Also, it says right there that the wizard is not telling the ally how to do his job. You are doing something to actively distract the target or make your ally's attack more effectively. Not sitting in a lounge chair yelling, "Swing lower, you fool!"

It's +1 to 1 target.
It's not all day long unless you fight the same creature all day long.
Not true. It's not only all day (every round of every fight in which the warlord can expend a bonus action he can pick a new enemy to use it on), it stacks with itself up to INT bonus. You are making BA cry. That's just mean.

Seems too complicated.
It's slightly tweaked Bardic Inspiration. In most ways identical. Where it's not, better in some and worse in others. I think quite balanced with it though.

Much easier to track a flat +1 then +1 that you can use only once.
Of course. But that doesn't make it balanced.

Creatures don't last that long in 5e. If something can take 4 hits, the chance of +1 to matter is 18.549375%.
59.04% at level 15, but at that point each attack means less, unless your a rogue.

But yes, that would work too.
So change it to "enemies in the current fight". So the one-time bonus is effectively trasnferable within limits of the encounter.

Though my question was about the emotional effect of the ability. Do you think that would make people feel bad?
I don't see why. It doesn't have any of the red flag markers of taking agency away from allies by dictating their thoughts or emotions. It's giving them bonus info to act on externally from their capabilities. Like aid other functions.

mellored

Legend
Not true. It's not only all day (every round of every fight in which the warlord can expend a bonus action he can pick a new enemy to use it on), it stacks with itself up to INT bonus. You are making BA cry. That's just mean.
The intent is that you need to spend the bonus action per point per creature. Not transferable.

So if you fight 2 creatures, it would take 3 rounds to get +3 against the one, and another 3 round to get +3 against the second.

I don't see why. It doesn't have any of the red flag markers of taking agency away from allies by dictating their thoughts or emotions. It's giving them bonus info to act on externally from their capabilities. Like aid other functions.
Good to hear.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
The warlord can't charm someone at-will.

Bards and wizards can. Or a human who took magic initiate.
Your disingenuous strawmanning is getting tiresome. If you really think that's the argument, there's no point in continuing this farce. You are beyond reason. And that's unfortunate.

But you go on holding out for the kitchen-sink class I know you want so desperately. I'll warn you though that it'll never come. Not from WotC anyway. Maybe you can play one of the broken homebrews floating around the interwebs. Or make your own broken homebrew to sate that need to dominate the table. Either way, whatevs. You're not bringing that crud to my table so what do I care...

mellored

Legend
Your disingenuous strawmanning is getting tiresome. If you really think that's the argument, there's no point in continuing this farce. You are beyond reason. And that's unfortunate.

But you go on holding out for the kitchen-sink class I know you want so desperately. I'll warn you though that it'll never come. Not from WotC anyway. Maybe you can play one of the broken homebrews floating around the interwebs. Or make your own broken homebrew to sate that need to dominate the table. Either way, whatevs. You're not bringing that crud to my table so what do I care...
friends is a cantrip that let's you charm people.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
friends is a cantrip that let's you charm people.
That's is so incorrect, my first instinct was to call it a lie. But it could just be ignorance, I suppose. Try reading the spell before claiming what it does. Firstly, the spell targets self. The caster. Second, it doesn't "charm" anyone. It only grants the caster advantage on social skill checks with the individual.

Not only all that but it has potentially serious consequences after the duration ends. Oh, wait, no. Those consequences involve emotions and have nothing to do with tactical bonuses. So they don't have a place in your design space.

See? This is why it is frustrating having a conversation with you. You make stuff up and twist things to your own ends. I'm leaving for the day now. So, g'day. And again, good luck getting the kitchen-sink class you want.

mellored

Legend
That's is so incorrect, my first instinct was to call it a lie. But it could just be ignorance, I suppose. Try reading the spell before claiming what it does. Firstly, the spell targets self. The caster. Second, it doesn't "charm" anyone. It only grants the caster advantage on social skill checks with the individual.
You are correct that it does not technically 'charm' them.

However it does 'affect their mood' as well as forces them to become 'hostile towards you'.

Which is the part i though you where complaining about. You don't like abilities that forces a PC to feel a certain way.

What am i miss understanding?

Remove ads