Warriors of Waterdeep: New Free to Play D&D Mobile Game Coming Soon

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck. Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck.

Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I remember playing Gold Box games from SSI with 8-bit pixelation in SVGA (the "S" stands for "Super"), paying once for a game and playing it over and over. And I would think to myself, how awesome are these games going to be when technology finally allows for more realistic graphics, incredible amounts of data, and powerful tools for creating our own games using popular game systems like D&D? We should be able to explore entire continents filled with stories, adventures, and imagination!

Oh, look. Another game simulation you can't just buy outright and enjoy. I gotta pay for the best parts of the game so I can show off to a thousand anonymous people in social media who absolutely do not care whatever mindless achievement I stumbled over by accident. I don't like waiting for a timer to tell me when I can enjoy the game I was to play, though if I bribe them they may let me take an extra turn sooner. And can anyone be bothered to focus on an activity for more than five minutes rather than repeating the cycle of grinding just to see if the game gets any more interesting and reward your time invested rather than your wallet?

Good gods, I want my old games back.

CapnZapp

Legend
WotC doesn't make the projects, they field proposals from people willing to pay them: games like this make more money than old school CRPGs, so they probably had the money to spend on development and licensing.

A real AAA D&D RPG will only be possible if Hasbro as a whole owns or is closely partnered with a AAA developer...as they were when Neverwinter Nights was made. No third party who can make a Dragon Age will want to use somebody else's IP, and nobody making a game like Kingmaker will likely have the funding to pay WotC license fees.
So make it, Hasbro!

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
So make it, Hasbro!

Why would they want to? Spend $500 million to create a video game they have little experience making just because the tabletop D&D players want a video game with D&D characters in it? When they can already play much better fantasy RPGs like Skyrim, Dragon Age, and World of Warcraft than anything they themselves would be able to make? Especially when it's discovered that tabletop D&D rules are not suited for modern video games, and thus whatever they end up making will be bitched about by the tabletops players as being poor substitutes?

Hasbro probably has better ways to throw away $500 million. ;)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I remember playing Gold Box games from SSI with 8-bit pixelation in SVGA (the "S" stands for "Super"), paying once for a game and playing it over and over. And I would think to myself, how awesome are these games going to be when technology finally allows for more realistic graphics, incredible amounts of data, and powerful tools for creating our own games using popular game systems like D&D? We should be able to explore entire continents filled with stories, adventures, and imagination!

It's called 'Skyrim'. You should pick it up. ;)

Derren

Hero
Why would they want to? Spend $500 million to create a video game they have little experience making just because the tabletop D&D players want a video game with D&D characters in it? When they can already play much better fantasy RPGs like Skyrim, Dragon Age, and World of Warcraft than anything they themselves would be able to make? Especially when it's discovered that tabletop D&D rules are not suited for modern video games, and thus whatever they end up making will be bitched about by the tabletops players as being poor substitutes?

Hasbro probably has better ways to throw away $500 million. ;)

Not suited to RPGs?
D&D was the flagship of isometric RPGs with Baldurs Gate and dominated that market. This dominance even extended into the 3D RPG market for some time with Neverwinter Nights. And before that were the Gold Box games. D&D always had a strong presence on the video game market until the end of 3E when Atari died.
But now, when isometric RPGs have made a comeback through kickstarter the only thing Hasbro managed to do are bad to mediocre games like Sword Coast Legends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads