• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) We’ll be merging the One D&D and D&D forums shortly

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think that will depend on how well the WotC VTT does. If they have a smooth and attractive GUI and an engine that automates the rules correctly, plus if they build in good onboarding tutorials that lead you through the rules as it teaches you the system, it will make D&D attractive to an even wider audience, decrease the learning curve, and--if they add a find-a-game feature--create the biggest venue for finding other D&D players that exists.

If it is just another set of books, then I think it will do fine, but I can't see it creating another lightning in a bottle moment.
Yea. Beyond is one thing that could sway me. Probably the most important part.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Maybe, but that would have been a silly complaint, on par with complaining that you had to buy Tasha's to use the new subclasses. "If you want new stuff, you have to buy new product" seems a fair trade-off to both customer and company.
So they are like cable tv and bundle a bunch of content together that I have to pay for to get the one or two things I reallly want. Hmmmmm….

Just because someone doesn't have an account on ENWorld or on r/DnD, it doesn't mean they'll be oblivious about the upcoming books.

If you play D&D and you're on social media, you will be getting D&D content in your feed, because The Algorithm™ knows what you're interested in. And once the 2024 PHB is out, a lot of that content is going to be of the kind "The 10 biggest changes in the new Dungeons & Dragons! Number 3 is game-changing!"

If they have a smooth and attractive GUI and an engine that automates the rules correctly, plus if they build in good onboarding tutorials that lead you through the rules as it teaches you the system, it will make D&D attractive to an even wider audience, decrease the learning curve, and--if they add a find-a-game feature--create the biggest venue for finding other D&D players that exists.
This seems to be very much the intention, to create a new market, but given who is head of D&D, it will not stop there - his entire CV is about transition people from purchases to subscriptions - so if the 3D VTT takes off there will be strong attempts to persuade essentially all D&D players to use it, I would suggest. We may even see Beyond shut down (or stuff stops being added to it) in an attempt to force people to the 3D VTT- obviously that's a terrible idea - it's also absolutely the approach a lot of companies have taken with various products, and actually it's not been entirely unsuccessful. Beyond find-a-game I believe a mention was made in an interview a while back of being keen to try AI DMs and so on, and I suspect we may well see adventure modules, even campaigns for the 3D VTT designed around the limited functionality of an AI DM or even just choose-your-own-adventure fixed choices instead of really allowing D&D-style play. The idea is to get people on and buying MTXes and subscribing and maybe also buying virtual books, really go through their pockets.

I remain optimistic about the future of D&D because I think the 3D VTT will be an absolute car crash that never recoups its costs (if it really has 250 people working on it) and that Beyond will trundle merrily along, being basic and usable.

If you play D&D and you're on social media, you will be getting D&D content in your feed, because The Algorithm™ knows what you're interested in.
Sure, but we were primarily discussing people who don't currently play D&D. People who currently play D&D will get a ton of videos full of misinformation, spin, propaganda, and so on as you say!

Clint_L

Hero
To be fair, we don't know we're halfway to 6. What if the games continues to chug along, and they just publish another 5e revision in 2034?
That's literally what WotC has stated their plan is: no more clean break editions, just incremental evolution of D&D. If we take them at their word, there will never be a sixth edition. Just "D&D."

I know this is a difficult concept to accept for those of us who have been playing for decades, but we're not the market they're worried about. They're worried about maintaining and building on those who came to the game through 5e, and not continually creating reasons to leave the game by forcing people to choose between editions. By 2034, arguing about editions will just be something that old people do.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That's literally what WotC has stated their plan is: no more clean break editions, just incremental evolution of D&D.

I wonder if that would always have been the plan if the profits had justified it - and if this current plan will only last that long as well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To be fair, we don't know we're halfway to 6. What if the games continues to chug along, and they just publish another 5e revision in 2034?
It's still basic math. 5.5 is more than 5, yet still in the 5 range. Not many will be confused by that since they pretty much all learned basic math a long time ago. As for another revision in 2034, WotC will have to release another completely new set of rules at some point that is probably before that date. A lot of people get bored with the same rules year in and year out, and making minor changes as a revision doesn't change the game enough.

Stalker0

Legend
for example jump mechanics are completely overhauled in 2024 playtests, yet you mention them here as if they are only changed in 3.5E.
As of the latest playtest (number 8), there is no mention of jump mechanic alterations, in fact jumping isn't even listed in the glossary.

Sure they have playtested some, but they playtested a lot of things that didn't make it to the later phases.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That's literally what WotC has stated their plan is: no more clean break editions, just incremental evolution of D&D. If we take them at their word, there will never be a sixth edition. Just "D&D."

I know this is a difficult concept to accept for those of us who have been playing for decades, but we're not the market they're worried about. They're worried about maintaining and building on those who came to the game through 5e, and not continually creating reasons to leave the game by forcing people to choose between editions. By 2034, arguing about editions will just be something that old people do.
Judging by what i'm seeing across the net, 2034 is already here.

Remove ads