• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) We have Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists now. Why not Psionic?

If Psionics are in the game then you fundamentally have to change whats considered a challenge. Thats the same basic requirement for any addition to the game.

Getting hung up that goblins are no longer a challenge when you add higher level combat abilities is just missing the forest for the trees.

And thats without getting into changing how those lesser powered challenges can be morphed to still be one in a different way. I can threaten level 20s with bandits just by playing them intelligently.

So if we have Psionics in the game, theres a few things you can do to do this.

One option is simply to define a mechanism for Psionics unique to the game. This is something I did on accident for a hard sci-fi take on Psionics; telepathy in that context is basically like shouting in someones ears if you're not communicating with a fellow psionic or have really advanced tech. Ergo, people would know someone is doing it, or at least would have a chance to figure it out.

Another similar idea is to just not make reading ones thoughts the same thing as reading memories. You might even lock off the latter as a higher level unlock. In that context, even though you can read the thoughts of everyone at the party, if they never think about whatever it is you're looking for you're out of luck.

And beyond that you can also just not design adventures where the powers of a psionic turn off the adventure. Its the same basic problem with casters in general, though at least with Psionics you don't already have an embedded system of off buttons for adventures.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
what's the theme of astral? if i were guessing i would've presumed it was either divine or psionic but seeing as those are existing themes already...
Time, Mind, Force

In my homebrew Simple RPG, bards and psions use Astral magic.

Astral would have all the psychic,force, and thunder attack spells as well as the mental and time manipulation magic. And projection spells.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I always assumed the move to the power sources in 5E24 was to allow for a Psionic source to be added at some point. As we've always assumed... most likely if/when they release Dark Sun, and most likely as just a spell list (since I don't think anyone expects a new system for Psionics when neither Arcane, Divine, nor Primal have different systems, they are all just spell slot classes mechanically.)

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Time, Mind, Force

In my homebrew Simple RPG, bards and psions use Astral magic.

Astral would have all the psychic,force, and thunder attack spells as well as the mental and time manipulation magic. And projection spells.
it sounds like psionic+time, and chronomancy is a thing already too isn't it.

Remove ads