What Actors/Actresses can save a bad movie for you?

Wombat

First Post
Johnny Depp and Anthony Hopkins often bring up mediocre films to at least noticably watchable, but not always.

A bad script and a bad director will not be saved by a single actor, no matter how good.

Enchantress

First Post
-Johnny Depp
-Kate Beckinsale
-Hugh Jackman
-Jim Carrey

I would say Christopher Walken, but even he didn't make me enjoy Stepford Wives all that much. :\

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Berandor said:
These are thespians that make you want to see their movie despite you knowing it's crap.

None, none, none! A bad movie is still going to be a bad movie, I am still not going to enjoy it...

All that said I think Keira Kinightly can make we watch anything... I would watch paint dry if she was the subject. :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
At first, I was going to say no one, but then it hit me:

Sir Ian McKellan.

Example: Apt Pupil.

Take a movie poorly adapted from a Steven King Short story, and turn it into a fascinating character study.

Which makes it all the more delicious when you have something with the power and majesty of Lord of the Rings, AND THEN inject someone like Ian McKellan into it.

Brings tears of joy to one's eyes, it does. :)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Kate Beckinsale, Keira Knightley, Naomi Watts, and Liv Tyler: because if all else fails, I can look at them for two hours. ;)
Jim Carrey, Jim Breuer, or Dave Chapelle: because if all else fails, I almost always find them funny.
Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, or Christopher Lee: because if all else fails (and usually did, since they did old horror), they have good presence.
Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman: because they're just good actors.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Morgan Freeman was my first thought on this subject. He's just tremendously stable somehow. Christopher Walken is someone I just love to watch. Sigourney Weaver is a great actress who isn't in enough movies, so I'm willing to give almost anything a chance to see her.

Kahuna Burger

Ranger REG

Explorer
While I too like Christopher Walken, I also like Tony Shalhoub. He's great in the sitcom Wings who played a taxi driver, in Men in Black as an alien, Engineer Chen in GalaxyQuest, and lately, a OCD hypochrondriac detective in Monk.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
A bad movie is a bad movie is a bad movie. A single actor can't make a bad movie
good. That said, he can make the movie-watching-experience enjoyable.

Examples:
The US version of Godzilla was a horrible movie, but damnit, Jean Reno was great.

Remove ads