• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the ability *scores* used for in 5e?

Wyvern

Explorer
There are Tomes in the magic items section that raise your scores, I believe. A couple items change your score (though don't raise it), like Headband of Intellect and Belt of Giant Strength. Potions of Giant Strength do the same.

I mentioned tomes and manuals in the list I added to the original post, but I didn't catch the others. I'll add them as soon as I have a chance to look up the details. Thanks!

ETA: After checking the DMG, I've decided not to bother listing every single item that increases ability scores. The details of the specific items will only be relevant if they show up in a game; the important thing is simply to note that stat-boosting items interact with the ability score rather than the ability modifier.

A text search in the DMG* turned up a few other uses which I've added to the original post: Constitution delays hypothermia, Intelligence determines your speed in the astral plane, and Charisma is used for NPC loyalty scores.

Wyvern

(*Yes, it was a PDF, and yes, it was pirated, but I only downloaded it for reference purposes and deleted it immediately afterwards.)

Last edited:

Remove ads