• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the ability *scores* used for in 5e?

Wyvern

Explorer
With Shadow STR drain, the PC can regain STR after short or long rest. Anyone know what is RAW for regaining INT after an Intellect Devourer reduces a PC to 0 INT?

That's a very good question. I checked the description of Greater Restoration, and it explicitly lists as one of its uses, the removal of "Any reduction to one of the target's ability scores." If there's any other way to regain the lost Intelligence, I too would like to know what it is.

(Btw, I also looked up gibbering mouthers and couldn't find any reference to them doing ability score damage.)

The big, main factor is the random distribution of 3D6 (4D6 drop lowest is a heroic 3-18 curve) creates a great curve for random attributes: and random rolling in the traditional style is the assumed way to play.

There are other ways you could get a similar distribution of ability modifiers, though. Fudge dice, for example. Of course, a lot of players would balk at buying a separate set of dice solely for use in character creation. Still, if that were the *only* time the ability scores were used, there would be no need to record them on your character sheet; you could just look up the ability modifiers on the chart and record them instead.

If you want to discuss the merits of random rolling vs. point-buy or which you think is more common or the "assumed" method, please take it elsewhere; it's a distraction from the purpose of this thread. (This isn't directed just at you, Parmandur.)

Alternate HPs can mean at least a couple different things. Firstly, it can mean taking ability score damage instead of HP damage. Secondly, it can also refer to alternate methods of calculating HP totals.

That question was directed at Wiseblood, and it's already been answered. There are several things "alternate HPs" *could* mean; I wanted to know what *he* (or she) meant by it.

I know it's a houserule, but I allow PCs to automatically succeed on un-opposed ability checks where their score is equal to or greater than 5 + the DC of the check. So, if you had a 15 Strength you'd never have to make a Strength check to force open a door (for example) with a DC of 10 or less.

Actually, someone else pointed out that the DMG explicitly mentions that as an optional rule (with that specific example, even!).

One thing no one else has mentioned is that ability scores are used for multi-classing viability.

I *did* mention that, in the original post.

Very little. It's one of the failings of 5e. In older dnd, attribute checks were made against your score, eg want to break down a door, roll d20 and get your str score or less. ... The roll equal or under approach also allows a lot of other cool things.

It also comes with a couple of drawbacks. First, opposed checks aren't as straightforward in a roll-under system than a roll-higher system. Second -- and more importantly, IMO -- any roll-under system (including percentile systems) sets an artificial ceiling on stats. If Conan the Barbarian has a Strength of 18, how strong is an elephant? If it has a Strength of 20 or more, it can never, ever fail a Strength roll unless you apply a hefty penalty. And maybe that's as it should be, but it makes it feel like the game doesn't scale well to capabilities beyond the human range. Chalk it up to personal preference if you like, but I don't wish to discuss the topic any further. It's irrelevant to the question I asked.

Again, I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of keeping ability scores vs. doing away with them. I'm not asking about ways of getting rid of the ability scores. I'm not asking about people's house rules. I wanted one thing and one thing only: a list of cases in the official rulebooks where the raw ability scores are referenced outside of character creation or the ASIs gained when leveling up. Since no new examples of this have been mentioned since Friday, I think it's fair to conclude that we now have a complete list -- which I'll try to get around to compiling in the next day or so.

So, I'll ask again: is there anywhere on this site where I could post the list so that other people will be able to easily find and refer to it in the future?

Wyvern

Coroc

Hero
Well first Thing they do for you is to convert a value between 8 and 20 (which you can optionally estimate with dice and racial modifier) into a -1 to +5 Bonus.

I also houserule in my game that casters Need 10 + spell Level in their casting Attribute to cast a spell, (like in former 3e times e.g. 15 is needed to cast 5th Level spell)

Another houserule i use is Str Minimums for armor (full plate requires 18 STR in my games)

So maybe the scores are in not much use RAW but that doesn't prevent you from utilizing them.

Wyvern

Explorer
Well first Thing they do for you is to convert a value between 8 and 20 (which you can optionally estimate with dice and racial modifier) into a -1 to +5 Bonus.

Why are you telling me this? Do you think it's something I don't already know?

I also houserule in my game that casters Need 10 + spell Level in their casting Attribute to cast a spell, (like in former 3e times e.g. 15 is needed to cast 5th Level spell)

Houserules are all well and good, but as I've already stated twice, they're not what I was asking about.

Another houserule i use is Str Minimums for armor (full plate requires 18 STR in my games)

Actually, that's already a rule, unless you're using encumbrance rules (which are explicitly described as a variant rule in 5e). Although the Str requirement for plate armor is 15, which seems more reasonable to me. (Or do you think that every medieval knight was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger?)

So maybe the scores are in not much use RAW but that doesn't prevent you from utilizing them.

Again, I'm not looking for more ways to utilize the ability scores. I'm trying to make a list, for reference, of the ways in which they are already used in the RAW. So that when teaching the game to new players, I can tell them "The most important numbers are the ability modifiers; the actual scores aren't used except for determining how much you can carry, how far you can jump, etc.."

In any case, I think that my original question has been answered pretty thoroughly. The one thing that I haven't yet got an answer to, though I've asked twice already, is whether this site has a repository of rules information that I could post the list to so that other people can refer to it in future.

Wyvern

With Shadow STR drain, the PC can regain STR after short or long rest. Anyone know what is RAW for regaining INT after an Intellect Devourer reduces a PC to 0 INT? Or would this be more of a DM ruling kind of thing? If it is a ruling, I’d be inclined to allow full heal on Greater Restoration and some kind of slow heal on rests (1 point per short rest, 2-4 pts per long rest).

As per earlier editions, INT drain is permanent until a Restoration spell is used.

Galendril

Explorer
Additionally, there are some magic items which enhance abilities. Some of the Ioun Stones come to mind. Some spells might do the same

Wyvern

Explorer
Additionally, there are some magic items which enhance abilities. Some of the Ioun Stones come to mind. Some spells might do the same

Good call. Enhance ability is the obvious one that comes to mind, but I checked the description and it actually doesn't raise your scores, it just gives you advantage on checks (and a few other benefits specific to different scores, such as temporary hit points). Does anyone know any examples of 5e spells (or items besides Ioun stones) that raise your ability scores?

Wyvern

Explorer
It took me a bit longer than I said, but I compiled the complete list. Since nobody has suggested a better place to post it, I've added it to the original post of this thread to make it easier to find. Anyone else who wants to have the information for reference should be sure they copy or bookmark it before it disappears from the front page of the forum.

Wyvern

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Good call. Enhance ability is the obvious one that comes to mind, but I checked the description and it actually doesn't raise your scores, it just gives you advantage on checks (and a few other benefits specific to different scores, such as temporary hit points). Does anyone know any examples of 5e spells (or items besides Ioun stones) that raise your ability scores?

There are Tomes in the magic items section that raise your scores, I believe. A couple items change your score (though don't raise it), like Headband of Intellect and Belt of Giant Strength. Potions of Giant Strength do the same.

Remove ads