• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the ability *scores* used for in 5e?

Wyvern

Explorer
I didn't realize there were so many corner cases. I'm thinking this information could come in handy for other people besides me. If I compiled them into a list, is there a good place to post it where people would be able to locate it easily as a reference tool? (I haven't been very active here for the last few years, so I haven't kept up with all the latest changes to the site.)

They are a placeholder for half point bonuses and alternate HPs.

Could you explain what you mean by "alternate HPs"?

(Just to be clear, I'm not looking for suggestions on what the ability scores *could* be used for -- like setting the DC for opposed checks -- unless it's mentioned in the official rules somewhere, like the autosuccess variant rule in the DMG. Likewise, discussions of things like half-feats or optimizing your point-buy just muddy the waters when explaining the game to new players. Not trying to squelch anybody's input, I just want to make sure you understand what it is I'm asking for.)

Wyvern

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I didn't realize there were so many corner cases. I'm thinking this information could come in handy for other people besides me. If I compiled them into a list, is there a good place to post it where people would be able to locate it easily as a reference tool? (I haven't been very active here for the last few years, so I haven't kept up with all the latest changes to the site.)

(Just to be clear, I'm not looking for suggestions on what the ability scores *could* be used for -- like setting the DC for opposed checks -- unless it's mentioned in the official rules somewhere, like the autosuccess variant rule in the DMG. Likewise, discussions of things like half-feats or optimizing your point-buy just muddy the waters when explaining the game to new players. Not trying to squelch anybody's input, I just want to make sure you understand what it is I'm asking for.)

Wyvern

Some monsters drain ability scores. Shadows and maybe gibbering mouthers iirc. In the case of shadows the character dies if their strength reaches zero. So in my mind it acts as a separate damage track.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The big, main factor is the random distribution of 3D6 (4D6 drop lowest is a heroic 3-18 curve) creates a great curve for random attributes: and random rolling in the traditional style is the assumed way to play.

Yaarel

He Mage
The big, main factor is the random distribution of 3D6 (4D6 drop lowest is a heroic 3-18 curve) creates a great curve for random attributes: and random rolling in the traditional style is the assumed way to play.

I strongly prefer point-buy to ensure characters that are comparable.

So a 3d6 value is no longer a ‘thing’. In fact, it is a problem to be fixed.

Some monsters drain ability scores. Shadows and maybe gibbering mouthers iirc. In the case of shadows the character dies if their strength reaches zero. So in my mind it acts as a separate damage track.

With Shadow STR drain, the PC can regain STR after short or long rest. Anyone know what is RAW for regaining INT after an Intellect Devourer reduces a PC to 0 INT? Or would this be more of a DM ruling kind of thing? If it is a ruling, I’d be inclined to allow full heal on Greater Restoration and some kind of slow heal on rests (1 point per short rest, 2-4 pts per long rest).

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I strongly prefer point-buy to ensure characters that are comparable.

So a 3d6 value is no longer a ‘thing’. In fact, it is a problem to be fixed.
Yet it is the atandard, assumed form of character generation. I strongly prefer the random method, and it is hardly a 'problem' to be 'fixed.' Indeed, if anything, eliminating the bonus and redesigning the system around the randomly generated 3-18 spectrum would be preferable. But the way it swork in 5E is a good compromise.

Yaarel

He Mage
Yet it is the atandard, assumed form of character generation. I strongly prefer the random method, and it is hardly a 'problem' to be 'fixed.' Indeed, if anything, eliminating the bonus and redesigning the system around the randomly generated 3-18 spectrum would be preferable. But the way it swork in 5E is a good compromise.

Both balanced assigned character creation and unbalanced random creation have its advocates.

Recent 5e books seem to be moving away from random character generation, such as the section about alternating DMs. There seems to be recognition that random isnt for everyone, and when needing to meet the needs of different DMs and different systems, it helps to ensure balance.

Yet even if a player generates abilities randomly at the time of character creation, it remains unnecessary to retain the 3d6 result. The purpose of the 3d6 method is to determine what the ability bonus is: Strength +0, Dexterity +1, Intelligence +3, Charisma +2.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Both balanced assigned character creation and unbalanced random creation have its advocates.

Recent 5e books seem to be moving away from random character generation, such as the section about alternating DMs. There seems to be recognition that random isnt for everyone, and when needing to meet the needs of different DMs and different systems, it helps to ensure balance.

Yet even if a player generates abilities randomly at the time of character creation, it remains unnecessary to retain the 3d6 result. The purpose of the 3d6 method is to determine what the ability bonus is: Strength +0, Dexterity +1, Intelligence +3, Charisma +2.
As I said, it would be preferable to eliminate that bonus and retain the random curve for standard PC generation, if a "fix" to a "problem" was sought.

If anything, Xanathar's is a move towards increased random PC generation, given all the awesome random tables included: the section you quote is for AL play, which assumes certain variant rules like feats, multiclassing or point buy. One of the least appealing features of organized play, right there.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I know it's a houserule, but I allow PCs to automatically succeed on un-opposed ability checks where their score is equal to or greater than 5 + the DC of the check. So, if you had a 15 Strength you'd never have to make a Strength check to force open a door (for example) with a DC of 10 or less.

MechaPilot

Explorer

Alternate HPs can mean at least a couple different things. Firstly, it can mean taking ability score damage instead of HP damage. Secondly, it can also refer to alternate methods of calculating HP totals.

Remove ads