What are the most interesting non-D&D systems you've yet to play?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Wow, Blades has quite the "I wanna play but haven't yet" vibe going on.

Stop wanting to and PLAY IT! I spent 2 years dancing around Blades (though the kickstarter) and finally made the pitch and the effort. Haven't been disappointed, and my players are always asking when we're going to play again (it's alternate to my main 5e game, which they also demand to play -- there's only one of me, dammit!).

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Stop wanting to and PLAY IT! I spent 2 years dancing around Blades (though the kickstarter) and finally made the pitch and the effort. Haven't been disappointed, and my players are always asking when we're going to play again (it's alternate to my main 5e game, which they also demand to play -- there's only one of me, dammit!).

It's interesting to me because when I was looking for more info on it there seemed to be a lot less info and discussion around it than a lot of the other PotA games (my partner is going to be running Monster of the Week probably starting this summer, which I'm hyped for).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

I wish I could. But I don't want to run it - I've been running a campaign for 4+ years with not much time as a player. It's near the end and that's good - I'm burning out. So me running is off the table.

I've brought ti up to my group as a game we play next, but not of the prospective GMs seem that interested in running, and we've got a "not fantasy" request. So it looks like I'll have to find/make another group, with someone who wants to run it, in order to play in the next few years.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It's interesting to me because when I was looking for more info on it there seemed to be a lot less info and discussion around it than a lot of the other PotA games (my partner is going to be running Monster of the Week probably starting this summer, which I'm hyped for).

Well, Apocalypse World was out in 2010, while Blades just officially released last year, so that might have something to do with it?

Blades is also very narrow in it's scope, whereas many of the other PbtA engine games are broader is scope. Blades works if you want to run a game of desperate scoundrels in a degenerate and magical Victorian-esque setting. There are a number of hacks out already for Blades, but the rules are tailored to do that one thing. And it does it very well, with a wonderfully thematic setting that still has plenty of space for you to make it yours through play.

Hell, what got me, and really was the core of my pitch, was, "look, here's the thing, Blades is a game where you can sell drugs to ghosts. Wanna play?"

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I'm interested in "Adventures in Oz" because of the subject matter, and the 2d6 resolution mechanics sound fun. (I don't know much else about the mechanics.) I haven't played it because I haven't bought the book yet and would like to spend my currently available gaming time on the D&D campaigns I have going.

edit: I also like that there are character templates for things like "crafted person" and "large animal".

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
Everway is a game that's been sitting on our shelf for years. I love how the cards help develop your character. I am also drawn to the world hopping aspects, and the narrative driven mechanics. Not sure why we haven't got to it yet.

Nobilis is another one on the list. I find it intimidating.

Mouseguard is a recent purchase. I have the boxed set which I love. Should give us a taste of Burning Wheel. Pretty sure we'll get to this one soon.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Blades in the Dark is a big one for me. Really want to try this out. Has a very Gentlemen Bastards feel to it, which I like.

The other game that I’m currently reading that I’m looking forward to getting to is City of Mist. I like it because it has no numbers to represent character traits, and my group primarily plays D&D so that idea is appealing to me.

One game we’ve played a one shot of, but which I’d like to play more, is Tales From the Loop. I like the “Trouble” mechanic and how players can put their characters in Trouble...the mechanics just mesh really well with the genre.

Palladium Fantasy Role Playing Game - I had the revised 1st Edition, sold it, and just recently bought the 2nd edition rules and several source books.

Would love a good space opera RPG. Back in the day I liked Star Frontiers, but bought and quickly gave away, Star Finder. I just didn't like the mixture of magic and sci-fi.

Greg K

Legend
I'll try to answer the why questions at a later date, but my the games on my list include the following:
Cortex Plus: Firefly, Leverage, Marvel Heroic, Smallville
Fate: Fate Core, Fate Accelerated
Modiphius: Conan, John Carter, Star Trek
Spectrum Games: Cartoon Action Hour Season 3, Retrostar, Slasher Flick, Stories From the Grave
Barbarians of Lemuria, Barbarians of Hellas, Dogs of WAR, Honor+Intrigue
Stargazer Games: Badass!, Warrior Rogue & Mage
Bash: UE
Hughesville High
School Daze
Magnum Fury
Meddling Kids
Supers: Revised Edition
vs. Stranger Stuff

Remove ads