What are you reading in 2023?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Finally read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, knowing it only from the Disney cartoon 10 million years ago and the Tim Burton film. The story was fine, although the twist was obvious. I'm not sure why it occupies such a large space in the cultural consciousness, but I'd guess it's the strong imagery.

Finally read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, knowing it only from the Disney cartoon 10 million years ago and the Tim Burton film. The story was fine, although the twist was obvious. I'm not sure why it occupies such a large space in the cultural consciousness, but I'd guess it's the strong imagery.

It's a long-time favorite of mine. I think it's appeal is twofold. One, it's based on ancient tales from Europe, but distilled and recontextualized in a distinctly American fashion. Two, it's a story that children and adults alike can enjoy.

Wanna come take a tour of my wine cellar?

I actually just picked up a bottle of Amontillado.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Just finished Ryan Holiday's The Obstacle is the Way. I'm kinda meh to positive on the book. I was expecting some kind of Stoic philosophy treatise but this was definitely more of a self-help rah rah motivation book...with little bits of Stoic philosophy sprinkled throughout. The most off-putting part, for me, was the subtle and overt championing of grind culture. Followed closely by the "if you can't overcome everything life throws at you, it's your fault" mentality the pervades the book.

I'm also about 1/4 of the way through Eduardo Galeano's Open Veins of Latin America. Holy blerg. It's an amazing book but definitely one of those you have to read in parts otherwise it becomes overwhelming. Like Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States or Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent. Wonderful book. But a tough read. Cannot recommend enough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads