• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What "attack"-oriented cantrips do you like the most?

What 3 "attack"-oriented cantrips do you like the most?

• Acid Splash

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Booming Blade

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Chill Touch

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Create Bonfire

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Eldritch Blast

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Fire Bolt

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Frostbite

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Green-Flame Blade

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Infestation

• Lightning Lure

• Poison Spray

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Primal Savagery

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Produce Flame

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Ray of Frost

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Sacred Flame

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Shocking Grasp

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Sword Burst

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thorn Whip

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Thunderclap

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Toll the Dead

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Vicious Mockery

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • Word of Radiance

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Magic Stone

• Shillelagh

Votes: 7 7.4%

Shiroiken

Legend
My votes were based entirely on overall use, not necessarily availability. For a ranged attack, nothing beats Eldritch Blast for damage (including type) and range. Word of Radiance is the only one of the "burst" cantrips that doesn't damage your allies, so it's flat out amazing. Toll the Dead is the best overall saving throw spell, as it can do the most damage with solid range.

A bit surprised that Acid Splash has no love. It's not a top 3 spell (based on my reasons above), but I usually take it with most characters that can cast it. It's the only ranged cantrip that can hit multiple targets, granting slightly higher overall DPR even if it's spread out among enemies. Not to mention that the acid damage is useful for finishing of trolls and similar regeneration monsters.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Sacred Flame for trolling people with holy light.

Chill Touch because the idea of shutting even the highest echelons of health restoration with a humble cantrip gives me the most perverse sense of satisfaction.

Magic Stone (No, I don't care that it's not on the list, it's an attack spell) because it makes you an enabler. Rogue or fighter can't hurt something because it's immune to nonmagical attacks? Here, take these and rock them like a hurricane. Protip: Have a sling for said rogue (or fighter if they have sharpshooter) so they can do their thing (Sneak Attack, Archery Fighting Style, and the cover and damage portions of Sharpshooter don't care if the attack is a spell attack or weapon attack, just that said attack is made with a ranged weapon).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
{snip}

Magic Stone (No, I don't care that it's not on the list, it's an attack spell) because it makes you an enabler.

{snip}
LOL, yeah...

I know, it is a great spell, but that wasn't the focus for this poll. I love Shillelagh for the same reason (making a weapon magical and all).

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Create Bonfire because its the only real control spell cantrip and if you have an enemy cornered or locked in position some how it can be used to effectively attack twice a turn. I get that is niche, but that is why I like it. Its not just another damage spell. It takes skill to use but in the right time and place can be one of the most powerful cantrips.

Word of Radiance/Sword Burst because its interesting to have a warlock, cleric, or Songblade wizard who is proficient in melee then see enemies attempt to "geek the mage" only to find out that surrounding me is exactly what I want. Similarly its a right time and situation spell that requires some skill to know when to use but can be supper effective when done right. It does diminish if your GM starts metagaming all the NPCs to avoid melee with a party caster because he know that is not going to end well for them.

Toll the Dead because it is descent damage cantrip that targets a mental stat. I like save spells because my roles are bad and I don't get hate if the GM roles well on their saves. The typical STR, DEX, and CON saves are too heavily stated to be useful most of the time. However, the dumb brut enemies with no Inelegance, Wisdom, or Charisma are common. Vicious Mockery is underwhelming in my opinion and experience. Mind Sliver Unearthed arcana and typically not allowed at table I am playing at. So Toll the dead is my favorite none situational fall back to the other two.

Eldritch Blast maybe my favorite "to hit" spell because is good at long range, vs groups or solo targets, and plays well with party members. However, unless I am playing a warlock with all their eldritch blast toys, I prefer Toll the dead and word of radiance/sword burst to perform the same function. Then again I also love shocking grasp if I have warcaster other wise shillelagh for opportunity attacks.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Mockery, because it is the only real control at-will cantrip.

EB, because it (with an invocation) scales so well.

Booming Blade, because it redefined how combat cantrips work.

Or if your a sorcerer quicken spell Create Bonfire for control and Booming Blade because now then enemy has to decide to eat fire damage each turn or move and take booming blade damage and maybe an opportunity attack if they can't side step in the case of two allies in melee for example. I find Create Bonfire is an effective at will control cantrip because that is literally all its is for. Its expected that enemies will move rather than stand in the fire and take the damage at the end of their turn with no save. By its self Create Bonfire is pretty useless (unless your just trying to limit the number of attackers on one ally by keeping one space clear), but with webcaster, opportunity attacks, small doors, and booming blade It quickly becomes better than Mockery especially on a sorcerer, but I have been using it to CC with a druid and it works.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My picks, in no particular order:

Ray of Frost
A ranged attack cantrip with a decent damage die and a slow effect. Being able to slow an enemy is a really useful bit of utility that I think tends to get overlooked in favor of more direct combat benefits like a higher damage die or a debuff.

Shocking Grasp
Absolutely fantastic panic-button cantrip. Who needs the Disengage action when you‘be got a magic taser? Good damage, stops reactions, and has advantage against enemies who wear armor. Excellent spell.

Produce Flame
This spell has a great mix of utility and combat value. Sure, Light illuminates a larger radius, Prestidigitation does more tricks, and Firebolt has a bigger damage die, but if you’re short on cantrip slots and need something that can fill multiple roles, this spell will do that for you, and do it in style. The mental image of a spellcaster not merely shooting fire from a wand or a staff, but conjuring it in their hand, walking around with it, using it to light their way, and then hucking it when the fight breaks out is so much cooler. Combine it with Control Flames and you can increase the illuminated radius and make it animate and change color and stuff.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Firebolt, greenflame blade, and ray of frost are some of my favourites (I stuck to cantrips I can pick from wizard only).
  • I like firebolt for its range and heavy hitting power and for the fact that throwing a bolt of fire is classic wizardry.
  • Greenflame blade is my favourite of the blade cantrips, I like it on my bladesingers and eldritch knights.
  • Ray of frost shows up for two reasons, one the whole fire and frost dynamic being two sides of a coin (I may have been influenced by mages in WoW) and two that slow down has saved my wizards in the past allowing him to kite a helmed horror while slowly whittling down its HP with help from a ranger.

MiraMels

Explorer
I voted for Sacred Flame because it is the iconic cleric cantrip, because radiant damage is always very, very good, and because of my fond memories throwing it around as a Boros evoker wizard in a Ravnica campaign I played last year.

I voted for Produce Flame because, unlike fire bolt, you can actually use this one to light your way in the dark.

And I voted for Poison Spray because everyone loves an underdog. And also d12s are deliciously satisfying to roll.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm partial to Fire Bolt - mostly because it fits how I envision many of my characters who'd be casting attack cantrips.

If not FB? Then whatever does fit the character I'm making, optimal or not.
For example, my 1/2ling Warlock uses Magic Stone. She doesn't have, & never will have, Eldritch Blast - because no matter how awesome it is, it's completely not in character for her to be shredding anyone's soul. I also view it as a trap. Once you take EB as a Warlock? Then the next logical steps are to keep improving upon it - at the cost of sooo many more entertaining invocation options.

Last edited:

Remove ads