• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What counters silence

smetzger

Explorer
Remember that Wands do not have trigger words so they can be used in an area of silence.

Also, don't be a slave to the random treasure tables. You gave him a magic item and he is putting it to good use. Think ahead next time and if you think the typical use of a magic item will be 'cheesey', then choose a different item.

Spatula

Explorer
smetzger said:
Remember that Wands do not have trigger words so they can be used in an area of silence.
This is incorrect according to my DMG; wands are spell-trigger items. The spell-trigger definition in the DMG (pg 175) says, "No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know and a single word that must be spoken."

If enemy the caster by himself, options are limited. Spells without Verbal components or modified by Silent Spell will work. If the caster has a means of magical escape, or a way to dispel the silence, he can take a move action (provoking an AoO) to escape the silence, then cast a verbal spell without penalty. High-level mages should always have a Teleport or a Silenced Teleport available for just this reason.

If the enemy caster has friends, one can try to bull-rush the monk to push him 10 feet away from the caster. The caster can delay his action untill after the bull-rush attempt. One or more grunts can also try to grapple the monk, which would let the caster move away without any AoO.

Last edited:

esorek

First Post
Spatula, I really like the bull rush idea. Casters in my game usually have friends with them so this will work unless the PCs manage to tie up the rest of the enemies.

esorek

First Post
I think I got it

OK had a bit of inspiration and I think I'm going to give some of the baddies some tanglefoot bags. Immobilize the silenced monk and he can't chase the caster around. I figure after this happens a couple of times the PCs will give up on over using this tactic.

smetzger

Explorer
Spatula said:
This is incorrect according to my DMG; wands are spell-trigger items. The spell-trigger definition in the DMG (pg 175) says, "No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know and a single word that must be spoken."

Interesting this contradicts the SRD:
"Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity."

No mention of single spoken word. I'll have to make sure my group knows I am using the SRD definition and not the DMG.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Spatula said:

Please look under wand (DMG, page 206) for activation of wands in particular instead of the general description of activating a spell trigger item.

You just have to have it in hand and wave in the general direction you want the spell to go, nothing else.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:

Please look under wand (DMG, page 206) for activation of wands in particular instead of the general description of activating a spell trigger item.

You just have to have it in hand and wave in the general direction you want the spell to go, nothing else.

Whew thought I was losing it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads