D&D 5E What D&D Does That is So Good: A Celebration of 5e's Advantages

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
It's designed to reward heroism.
Does it reward heroism, though? I'd say (pretty much any edition) rewards being careful and not taking risks much more than it rewards self-sacrifice and standing tall between the danger and the innocent.

I don't think that people who rob graves and loot stuff for sale can be called heroes, honestly.

Aldarc

Legend
Does it reward heroism, though? I'd say (pretty much any edition) rewards being careful and not taking risks much more than it rewards self-sacrifice and standing tall between the danger and the innocent.

I don't think that people who rob graves and loot stuff for sale can be called heroes, honestly.
I'm not sure if the game rewards heroism, but I would say that the game primarily assumes heroic characters and nearly all 5e adventure paths are written with that assumption in mind.

Sithlord

Adventurer
Not a knock on 5e, but it is a fairly superheroes game. IMO, the superhero influence has been a bit more overt and explicit in 5e than it ever was with 4e, which I would argue was more oriented towards mythic. Again, it's not a knock, because superheroes and superheroics is obviously BIG in the current multimedia Zeitgeist of the MCU and even its less successful DCEU.
That strange. With concentration checks and only 2 good saves. I found this edition to have the potential to be grittier than earlier editions with the exception of the removal of save or die spells and energy drain. But I also don’t use recommended guidelines for challenge ratings either.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Not a knock on 5e, but it is a fairly superheroes game. IMO, the superhero influence has been a bit more overt and explicit in 5e
I'm not following you here. In what sense is it "superheroes"? If you mean that low-level characters aren't as squishy as in some previous editions, it takes more than that to make superheroes, IMO.

Aldarc

Legend
I'm not following you here. In what sense is it "superheroes"? If you mean that low-level characters aren't as squishy as in some previous editions, it takes more than that to make superheroes, IMO.
I'm talking more about the flavor and inspiration material. For example, the Armorer Artificer was explicitly inspired by Iron Man.

Remove ads