D&D 5E What direction do you want to see D&D 5e go?

Nellisir

Hero
Complete line (none of this 1 or 2 a year) of well-written/fun adventures. Putting out 1 "adventure path" that's all about the Drow, let's say, does me no good if I'm not interested in running a Drow adventure! A half-dozen solid adventures (doesn't have to take me 1-20 in a single publication!) or, better, 1 a month, would be great.
I've been going through old Dungeon magazines and...I want Dungeon back. I homebrew adventures and campaigns; adventure paths do nothing for me.

Also, great list.

Also also, I didn't know what OP meant either. It seemed pretty personal for someone to say they didn't want Original Poster to have adventures. :)

ppaladin123

Adventurer
setting: Greyhawk

classes: psionics

sub-classes: more patrons for the warlock, including "vestige" to recreate the binder; more sorcerous origins like undead or elemental; another bard college; more maneuvers for the fighter; a maneuver subclass for the rogue and the monk

races: aasimar/deva, warforged or generic construct, thri-kreen or generic insect person, genasi

feats: more, especially feats that are charisma-oriented

Adventures, settings and campaigns. I could see some sort of open license operating for third party house settings, but not for crunchy splat books or the like (hopefully). Oh and more electronic and networking support.

Bugleyman

First Post
After the Monster Manual and the Dungeon Master's Guide WotC hasn't dropped any hints on what is to come next. I'm personally hoping that 5e will focus on settings and deluxe adventures. I wouldn't mind seeing a few optional rule books (eg psionics), but for the most part I sincerely hope the design team stays away for splat books. It seemed like toward the end of 3.5 ' s live we saw such a huge rule and option bloat that the DM had to sit down before a campaign started and decide what he or she would allow from all the various splatbooks.

I pretty much agree exactly. :)

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I always liked 'thematic books'. By this, I mean something removed from the game for themes. For eg I did not like the 'Complete...' series, where they inc bits for wizards in the rogue/scoundrel or warrior ones, BUT I did like the Book of Battle (or whatever it was called) and the Book of Horror. Both needed more and could have been if they were more like the terrain series books. My favourites were the 'Stormwarack' and 'Sandstorm' books. I know exactly where to go when our campaign is going to be based upon the seas or in a desert.

I would love for more thematic books like these. I was waiting for the mountain, forest and swamp-styled books too.

I guess, their 'story' arcs are kind of like that, but I would rather see themes used more widely and it is CLEAR when you would want this book.

And, yes, I would include the book on aberrations and the 'Dracinomicons' and the undead books in this. Those were some of my favourites too.

I am also happy with Settings as 'themes'. I always write my own settings, but love stealing from the published ones ;) (Though it hurts when it goes the other way, like Golarion now being a prison for a mad god - the one central hook for our big home brewed world of near on 20 yrs ;().

So, back on topic: Themed books. (Though I know everyone will not agree with this). I just want books that make it very clear when you would use/want it.

Raith5

Adventurer
I'd like to see 5E release extensive supplemental material to the point where you can run a game similar to 13th age, high powered 3.x, or 4E.

Agree. Basically I want to see Advanced 5e. Basic and Standard 5e look like they are shining, so I am looking forward to seeing what Advanced looks like. This will depend on what the DMG has in store of course, but there is quite a big design space left for advanced options.

Chaltab

Explorer
I think before they do anything else they need to seriously rework the class design. Too many classes rely on spell lists or weak class features. They've done a good job of fleshing out the design space outside of classes--backgrounds and such, but honestly there's nothing as (forgive the pun) inspiring as the 4E Warlord or as intriguing a concept as the early playtest Sorceror. Even the Battlemaster Fighter is kind a pale imitation of the 4E Weaponmaster.

Andor

First Post
It seemed like toward the end of 3.5 ' s live we saw such a huge rule and option bloat that the DM had to sit down before a campaign started and decide what he or she would allow from all the various splatbooks.

Personally I kind of liked that. In particular windowing down the spell casting classes allowed you to shape the feel of the world.

Limiting magic to Bards, Druids, and secondary casters like paladins and rangers leads to a very Arthurian feel.

Otoh if magic is the province of binders, artificers, warlocks and psionicists then you have a darker swords and sorcery feel.

On topic I too would love to see the return of setting like Planescape and Spelljammer. Adventures with strong tie-ins to worlds I don't care for, like the FR are less useful to me.

Nellisir

Hero
I think before they do anything else they need to seriously rework the class design. Too many classes rely on spell lists or weak class features. They've done a good job of fleshing out the design space outside of classes--backgrounds and such, but honestly there's nothing as (forgive the pun) inspiring as the 4E Warlord or as intriguing a concept as the early playtest Sorceror. Even the Battlemaster Fighter is kind a pale imitation of the 4E Weaponmaster.

Um, what? The first thing WotC needs to do is rework the classes? So...we don't even have the MM and you want 5.5?

Remove ads