D&D (2024) What do you expect/hope to see in future playtest packets? (+)

Horwath

Legend
I would love to see Extra Attacks and Multiattacks gone. One turn = one attack action. Make it scale like a cantrip. If it needs to target multiple targets, makes it a saving throw, or just make it so that the same attack roll applies to all targets.
I disagree with this.

multiply attacks reduce swingyness of combat and makes martials more reliable.

I would start with 2 attack per attack actions at 1st level.
then increase for martials to number of attacks equal to proficiency bonus.(new attack at levels 5,9,13&17), 6 in total
"half-martials" can get extra attack at levels 9&17(total of 4)
caster or 1/3 martials can get extra attack at level 13(total of 3)

then you can have TWF just have one and a half number of attacks. round up. making attacks with one hand then the other, starting with main hand. Off hand must be light weapon.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would prefer some sort of special maneuver that hits multiple targets, and less dice rolling on single target. Why roll 9 times (20th level fighter + action surge + bonus attack) against a single target? Give me one huge limit break style attack that destroys the monster and his children for 5 generations to come (with half damage on a miss ...)
I get that but I suspect that many other players prefer the build up of attacks. Rolling many many dice is a reward in itself. It is why the game has all these bloody dice.

Horwath

Legend
Majority of stuff that was cut from 4e integrated back in. Especially around Monsters/NPCs, XP budgets. etc..
We have lot's of 4E stuff just integrated badly or worse. Some better.

short rests 1hr instead of 5min
HD random healing instead of fixed 25% of max HP
encounter(short rest) powers/features
at-will scaling cantrips, 5E did this better.
5E again has medium armor. bad choice.

oh yes, thinking about it, I would like Short Rests to be 5 minutes, but only available 2 times/day, or something like that.

Like, it's a resource? ok, then let me use it when I need it, not at the whims of the DM (yes now you have one hour time, no now you don't)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'd go ahead and allow it, just to make the player commit to having a pair of boots orbiting his head at all times.
Player: "jfc why did you tell me I can't wear two pairs of boots this whole body slots thing is just too complicated when you can't even keep it straight"...

Doing that kind of murders the reason for wanting to use body slots to limit gear so a player doesn't have too many things contributing to one little niche of competence in the first place.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Historically, that is correct. However, I think rebalancing monster crits with recharge abilities will require rewriting a lot of monster stat blocks to include more recharge abilities. If they want useful feedback on their proposed changes, they should release some monsters written with those changes in mind.

Less than half of the Monsters of the Multiverse monsters have recharge abilities. I don't think that using those as written is enough to adequately test this design change.
Unfortunately, as I've explained in another thread, they do not want useful feedback. They want to know if people like what they presented. That's all. I have to agree with @Parmandur. We won't see the purported monster recharge abilities until release, or possibly a locked-in preview before then.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
To be honest I think that we over emphasise these surveys. I think that the D&D Next surveys were playtest surveys in that our response to mechanics was noted and acted upon but the UA playtests since 5e launched are to my mind, more market response surveys. Is the plurality of the playerbase going to accept the "what ever" for a given value of "what ever".

Remove ads