D&D General What do you expect in a starter village?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Is there any published setting where there aren't more powerful NPCs?
Eberron, at least in older editions. Dark Sun, generally had evil NPCs that were higher levels with only a few good NPCs.
If there weren't, why wouldn't all the all powerful bad guys/dragons/etc. that are waiting for the PCs to level up just take over the world? To me, there being more powerful people makes the world realistic.
For me, it makes the world completely unrealistic. With 20th level wizards, fighters, clerics, and/or rogues living in every other smsll town, there’d never be a need for adventuring parties nor would there be room for them. It also destroys the “adventurers are special” vibe when there’s stacks and stacks of them.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Eberron, at least in older editions. Dark Sun, generally had evil NPCs that were higher levels with only a few good NPCs.

For me, it makes the world completely unrealistic. With 20th level wizards, fighters, clerics, and/or rogues living in every other smsll town, there’d never be a need for adventuring parties nor would there be room for them. It also destroys the “adventurers are special” vibe when there’s stacks and stacks of them.
Ok, so why doesn't the powerful evil just take over then?

I get your stance, actually.....I do. I just don't think it is realistic there aren't some powerful good guys.....I find it a very hard balance.

Old school Eberron is filled with powerful NPCs. Filled with them. I basically re-skimmed nearly ever old book to publish Creatures of Eberron, and the books are filled with NPCs. Dark Sun...I don't have the knowledge one way or the other on that one.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Fun idea for a thread. Gets ye olde creative juices flowing. Let's seeee...

Well, as basically everyone has said, the Inn/tavern/public house.
  • Predominantly "farmers, herders, local craftsmen" commoners.
  • Mayor or minor "governing" body/council of elders/local laird, somebody calling the [small-scale] shots.
  • Fresh water source: river, spring/fountain or well(s).
  • For a "starter village" probably nothing more than a constable/sheriff (or even just an informal "deputy" assigned by the governing body) rather than any formalized "guard/watch/militia" force.
  • The local "Eccentric": might be a local, might be some longtime resident from afar, a wizard or alchemist, sage or archivist of some sort that has a "loony but harmless" reputation...and knows <strange things> about <strange things> that other locals would never know.
  • The local "Healer": might be a missionary from some religious order, kindly priest at the shrine/church/temple of the preferred deity of the region, local apothecary or "wise man/woman" herbal potion maker, but someone in the community that those who don't have buckets of gold (or high-powered clerics in their immediate vicinity) go to for their ills.
  • The "General Store" but basic farming and adventuring wares.
  • The Smith. Probably makes horseshoes, firepokers, repairing cooking pots and nails. But could probably repair a shield or some armor if they put their mind to it....or, ya know, an amazing preternaturally talented maker of weapons and items of surpassing awesomeness.
  • The village itself needs an economic reason for being (someone else mentioned this). So farmers, herders, orchards can all be there...and would be even for subsistence of the residents if nothing else. But there could be a mine or quarry. A regional reputation for great carpentry/furniture, masons/builders, leatherworkers, dying fabrics, clothes/shoe makers, butchers/bakers/candlestick makers. Could be a pilgrimage site, so a real large church/cathedral/temple and sizeable religious order is the center of "why" people live and work there.
  • A local troublemaker/malcontent/curmudgeon.
  • The enthusiastic child or youth, "would-be hero/dreamer/wizard." Could be helpful. Could be, as much, a source of trouble/getting themselves into danger from which they need rescuing.
  • A bowyer/fletcher, assuming there are woods around and/or hunting is a source of activity (for sustenance or sport).
  • A communal "hub." Could be a formal "town square/hall." Could be miller/grain mill and/or community storage for local product. Maybe large communal bread ovens in the enter of town, next to the fountain/stream where everyone does their laundry.
  • A secret (or not so secret) thief - or bandit gang or guild operatives- operating in the area (but unlikely to call attention to themselves in their own town/village of residence). Perhaps living as some well-to-do benefactor or local philanthropist or something...maybe the local "money lender/changer" who has almost everyone in town indebted to them.
  • At least one known and one unknown non-human, enclave or individual, nearby (like, within a day, maybe and a night, away). Both for friendly/potential ally and for troublemaker/not friendly at all.
  • At least a few rumors of strange goings-on...but no one's been hurt or missing or anything. SO no one's bothered to really pursue any of them.
  • A [potentially serious/immediate] mysterious problem/creature/passerby that has recently arisen. Something to concern the residents/mayor or powers-that-be that needs doings/fixing/checking out.
That oughta be enough to get some balls rolling.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Ok, so why doesn't the powerful evil just take over then?
They should. It makes for a more interesting setting with built in goals. As most settings stand, say FR, it makes zero logical sense that there's any evil or problems in the world because the settings are simply dirty with high-level good guys.
Old school Eberron is filled with powerful NPCs. Filled with them. I basically re-skimmed nearly ever old book to publish Creatures of Eberron, and the books are filled with NPCs. Dark Sun...I don't have the knowledge one way or the other on that one.
From my recollection, most NPCs in Eberron are 5-10th level. NPC here being humans, elves, dwarfs, etc that the PCs would interact with...not monsters.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Not too much.

I have just started using Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and while I really like the book, its Saltmarsh feels about as twice as big as it needs to be. Not one, not two, but three taverns, several local spell-casters, several VIPs, several keyed locations (and not in the Homlet/Keep everything noted style), and many side and subplots not connected to the various adventures.

My guess is that for many groups, they will find themselves defaulting to "the tavern" without specifying which one, and so on.

Remove ads